It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suspect in 2001 anthrax attacks kills himself

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Suspect in 2001 anthrax attacks kills himself

www.latimes.com

The Justice Department was preparing to file criminal charges against Bruce E. Ivins in the anthrax mailing assaults of 2001 that killed five.

One of the nation\'s top biodefense researchers has died in Maryland from an apparent suicide, just as the Justice Department was to file criminal charges against him in the anthrax mailing assaults of 2001 that killed five, the Los Angeles Times has learned.

Bruce E. Ivins, 62, who for the past 18 years worked at the government\'s elite biodefense research laboratories at Fort Detrick, Md., had been informed of the impending prosecution, people familiar with Ivins, his suspicious death and with the FBI investigation said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Holy Crap!

www.latimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Add 1 more to the list of people who died from suicide..

What is that this month?? like 10..

Like the poster above me stated.. HOLY CRAP!!!

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 12:52 AM
link   
what was his motive >?
A republican Zealot?

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by ThichHeaded

Ivins died Tuesday at Frederick Memorial Hospital after having ingested a massive dose of prescription Tylenol mixed with codeine, said a friend and colleague who declined to be identified out of concern, he said, that he would be harassed by the FBI.

Holy Crap is the least of it, this is cut to the chase if I've ever seen it!

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 01:04 AM
link   
how convenient.
well, that 'mystery' is 'solved', now.

murder and mayhem make the world go round.

sickening, how the 'news' creates reality.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Another article:

Ivins' name had not been disclosed publicly as a suspect in the case that disrupted mail service and Senate business three weeks after the 9/11 terrorist attacks. The Maryland scientist had for years played a pivotal role in research to improve anthrax vaccines, preparing anthrax formulations used in experiments on animals.

Regarded as a skilled microbiologist, Ivins also had helped the FBI analyze the powdery material recovered from one of the anthrax-tainted envelopes sent to a U.S. senator's office in Washington, D.C.

Source

Domestic terrorism or something else?

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 01:41 AM
link   
...and yet they STILL haven't investigated the person who entered the lab area where the Anthrax strain used was kept. An ex employee sacked after racial incidents involving a colleague who was "let in" by friends at the lab.

Looks like this poor guy was either suicided or took his own life due to the pressure of the investigation against him.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 01:42 AM
link   
A few more articles:

CNN

AP

This is weird timing

1) Settlement with Stephen Hatfill one month ago:

LA Times

2) Charges looming over Ivins, commits suicide:

CNN

3) We have the end of an administration coming up pretty soon.

No link necessary.

This could be the last chance before its pardon time and everyone gets away with murder. Again.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Multiple Junkie

Well look at that!! Indeed. Holy infinity! is that not most easy!!! how perfect for the man.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 01:54 AM
link   
My biggest question is do they have any actual evidence that he was in fact responsible? When they all but accused Hatfill, in a very public manor, of being responsible, they had no real evidence other than some hearsay.

The facts just don't seem to add up. This was a huge case, I highly doubt any stone, no matter how small, was left unturned. I don't buy that some data in the analization of the anthrax was not available to them in the first place & I certainly don't buy that they had to pay off their first victim...erh... person of interest, before they could go after the right person.

I don't have a degree in law, but I have a nose & I know when I smell bullsh*t.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 02:10 AM
link   
reply to post by lynn112

Exactly. I don't think that they paid off Hatfill to be a stooge. He might have been a distraction that was convenient to keep in the limelight and they would rather pay the price to parade him out there for a while until he can clear his name while they conceive an out for themselves. I think that time was running out and they had to do something.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Fine job of keeping him a low key suspect.
My big worry, assuming he was guilty, is that he took a trip to the post office first. But I personally doubt it, I mean in 2001 he had a lot to gain: a pay raise, job security, and more funding. But no reason to do it now other than maybe revenge. I would like to believe this is the end of it but, really, is it?

In 2003, Ivins and two of his colleagues at the U.S. Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases at Fort Detrick received the highest honor given to Defense Department civilian employees

Isn't this just.... typical? Then he goes off and kills Ted Turners bison.

[edit on 1-8-2008 by beaverg]

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Might want to have a read here: www.washingtonpost.com...

They contended that he had neither the motive nor the means to create the fine, lethal powder that was sent by mail to news outlets and congressional offices in the late summer and fall of 2001.

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 01:12 PM
link   
The Washington Post seems to be finally taking the bull$hit by the horns on this story.

There are several sub-columns related to the story from today and yesterday with numerous comment posts.

As mention in the related thread here, it looks like we may have "probable cause"
for a full scale open congressional investigation.

If Mukasey or anyone in the administration attempts to block this investigation
I think Congress may just have enough to proceed with and impeachment inquiry.

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 01:21 PM
link   
The proof that some Americans are Neocon/Zionist zealots and would kill to push an agenda on Americans.Some how thats not news but his suicide is?

To me this stinks to high heaven

top topics

join