It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

question for white folks.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I also think that black history month is a form of segregation. Black history should be taught as a natural part of American history and World history. We should all be celebrated equally together.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I'm not sure what to think not living in the USA. But I do have my views.

Why make a special occassion to talk about black history? What about world history? learn it everyday.

For example, black people were not the only slaves in history, there have been many slaves. The only reason it's such a big deal is because it wasn't so long ago, but did you people know that all kinds of races have been slaves, even white people have been slaves.

Why don't you hear about that? If you haven't heard about it, here's one example, check out the history of north africa, Morocco etc and the over 1 million white european slaves they had.
Some info.
www.guardian.co.uk...
www.anti-slaverysociety.addr.com...
www.guardian.co.uk...
www.bbc.co.uk...
I bet a lot of you haven't even heard of this. lol

Some books on the subject from amazon, they looks interesting:

This one has great reviews.
www.amazon.co.uk...

www.amazon.co.uk...
www.amazon.co.uk...

What I'm trying to say is, there is history all over the world to learn everyday. Why just focus on one subject at one time?

[edit on 1-8-2008 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by lombozo
What do I think about Black History Month? Talk about a controversial subject. My kind of subject indeed.
For the record, I am a white middle aged male. My ancestry is Italian.

*That would be my exact reply on who I am*

I will go on record here, and apologize in advance if I offend anyone. I think that dedicating a month to anything is over the top. All races have good and bad. Since this one is specifically targeting 'blacks' I will give my view on several.

Dr. Martin Luther King is one of my heroes. He single handedly changed the way an entire country acted. And did it in a peaceful manner.

George Washington Carver was a true genius. What he did with peanut research is truly astounding.

Molly Pitcher. Unbelievably brave and astute.

Lewis Latimer. Does anyone even know that this man actually is the creator of the lightbulb?

Tuskegee Airmen? I'd pick them to be my wingmen every time.

Muhammad Ali. Yes sir. He was the greatest. As my Pop-Pop once said, he wishes he could have seen Ali and Marciano fight.

Jimi Hendrix. He changed music. He was so far ahead of his time that I think he had Titor envoius.

That being said - there is another side to the coin.

Reverend Sharpton is a shame to the human race. He rides coat tails, and tries to make headlines, while not making any difference at all.

Jesse Jackson. See above sentence.

To encapsulate. I think it's very important to show the achievements of every man. His/her color, religous beliefs, or sexual orientation should mean nothing.

Do I like Black History Month? No I don't. I respect those people of color who made a difference, and am lucky enough to have been educated in a family who was color blind. However dedicating a month to 'blacks' as a whole takes away from the individual achievments of those who truly did OVERCOME.

I would say the same thing about 'homosexual month' 'Italian immigrants month' 'female activist month'....etc...........

I hope I answered your question LI.

Damn, I couldn't of said it better! So I'll break rules and quote the full text which I never do. It is that dead on and true!

I was brought up to see people for who they are not what they are. BHM is pretty ridiculous, why should they be so privilaged to have a designated month to celebrate their heritage when no other nationality has one that I know of.

I had black friends all my life and every single one of them complains about how hard they have it because of their skin color. They just don't get it! Everyone has it hard and is discriminated for one reason or another so just friggin get over it.

You tell them this and they all just go back to the same excusful comment that you are not black so you don't understand.

Well, I'm %75 deaf and most people don't want to deal with that in a friend or employee, but do I complain about that to everyone that is not deaf? No because that would make me sound so out of touch with reality!

Well, this is not a race thread but, it appears that blacks are trying to use there slavery history as a sympathy card.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by SantaClaus
Ok, so as a black folk, are you pleased or displeased with the responses? And why?

the responses aren't suprising because, i can understand why white folks don't place as much value on this holiday as black folks do. imo, the reason why is because yall just haven't endured what we have. therefore yall's appreciation of the holiday is minimal.

i think the reason why there IS a black history month (as well seprated from the rest of history) is because more often than not, the black race's contributions to society are overlooked by white america. let's break it all down..

if yall were to be asked to name a famous poet, yall would prolly say edgar allen poe. not maya angelou.

if yall were to be asked to name a famous militray strategist, yall would prolly say napoleon. not hannibal.

if yall were to be asked to name a famous inventor, yall would prolly say nikola tesla. not george washington carver. (even though lombozo mentioned him, i'm sure a majority of white folks wouldn't even know of him)

when a white a woman (this is more directed toward younger white women) considers dating a black man, she prolly wants to find out if the "myth" is true.
not because of what his qualities are.

get the point?

the only thing that ISIN'T overlooked is our (seemingly) superior atheltic abilities, dancing skills, our angry overtones, and confrontational attitudes.
(the last 2 are possesed by a majority of black folks due to the seemingly never ending struggle we face daily)

as far as my feelings on the responses go..well i'm somewhat indifferent to all of them.

[edit on 1-8-2008 by LordInfamous]

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by LordInfamous

Not all "white folks" are born with silver spoons in their mouths. Many struggle , sometimes even more. There is not specialized programs and all. I believe many "white folk" are very aware that the black community does struggle, but likely they pay no mind.

Because they take accountability for their actions, instead of blaming society. They look on their side of the street, instead of pointing across the street and crying afoul.

I liked what Whoopi Goldberg had to say about being an African American. She said she is not an African American, she was born in America. She is an American. I dig that a lot. It's no longer skin color, and anyone that says otherwise wants the emotional payoff they get from believing otherwise IMO.

It's about the haves and the haves not... look to the media and you'll see all sorts of haves that were born with brown skin. Honestly, I believe a large portion of them are casting a voodoo spell on the masses. Selling them crap, and who's the fool? Certainly not the crap creator. However I do feel that it is unethical, but that is another debate.

So to sum it up:

I didn't own slaves, I am guiltless for the atrocities of the past. i believe that many black people have a bigger problem with their skin color then others, and they like to make a scene out of it. I love everyone I encounter... even those that make it hard for me to love. I may dislike some that are hardened, or go out of their way to act like fools... I do have hope that one day things will click for them.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Black History month is useless. I thought the point was to 'break down the colour barriers' not to put up new ones.

In my home town we're thinking about racially segregated curriculum's, not just one black history month but entire schools filled with black history, black mathematics, black sciences and black woodworking class.

It's pretty senseless.

I'm really starting to think that the leaders of the equality movement are going crazy because they've pretty much gotten what they've been fighting for. And now they have to retire, but they refuse and just make up new crap to drivel on about.

Feminism is dead in my country and so is racism ... unless of course someone would want to bring it back. I wonder why someone would want to do that? Maybe for profit? You don't think a few black people would purposly create these divides in order to profit personally from the civil rights movement do you?

Naw, couldn't be ...

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by silverking

I could not agree more to this sentiment. By having a month to Celebrate Black History, it is just another way of keeping the race differences going. I have nothing against any race. The problem is you have Jessie Jackson spewing all the time, as if he wants to keep it going.

All races in the US (at least) are free to do as they will with their lives. Only the individual can choose the path he/she feels is the right one. If he/she chooses to see color where I see people, that is their choice. I treat everyone as I myself want to be treated.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur
While I do see the importance of showing the achievements made by groups of people, I do find it somewhat racist to have these things. If we started seeing ads for white history month specials on tv would there not be an uprising?
words to live by

My thoughts exactly!

Sorry for the one line post but you already said everything I was going to say.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   
I found the relative shallowness of the responses to be in direct proportion to the lack of understanding, knowledge or interest in the black experience among ATS/BTS members and the public at large...some folk on here are truly well meaning - most are just ignorant....and when you bring the subject up you're told to stop whining and get on with it - we all have problems....mmmm...that's deep...

I will say this though about Black History - there's a fk of lot more to it than MLK and the peanut man....please....Black History as currently taught is pathetic...but I'll keep the rest of what I think to myself cause I'm in a 'confrontational" mood...

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by eye open doors
Not all "white folks" are born with silver spoons in their mouths. Many struggle , sometimes even more.

being black is accompanied with a HELL of a lot more struggle than being white.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Stop with the pissing contest.

You are provoking confrontation based on racial attributes. Although you may be well meaning, I agree with an earlier poster ... Meaning well doesn't save you from being ignorant.

[edit on 1-8-2008 by Enrikez]

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Enrikez

Stop with the pissing contest.

You are provoking confrontation based on racial attributes. Although you may be well meaning, I agree with an earlier poster ... Meaning well doesn't save you from being ignorant.

^^^^^can't handle the truth of my statement above him.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 08:17 PM
link   

The 'deflection' is not a valid debate tactic.

Don't cry about it, white people are held to the same intellectual standards.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 08:25 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Lordinfamous.

Does it bother you, that out of all months, they picked February, the shortest one? (I kid you)

Actually, I don't mind that fact that a whole month was given to a group of people that have been overlooked for centuries.

For example, Last time around I learned that slavery did not end with emancipation. Slavery was just redefined, and the social status of blacks took many many decades to rise above it's previous incarnation.

There were still beatings, and murders. It took place within the prison systems.
Blacks were jailed (usually for no reason, or ridiculous reasons), put on work details, and beaten regularly. They rebuilt the south, while wearing striped suits, and living behind bars.

[edit on 1-8-2008 by spacedoubt]

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Well, I can tell that this is going to be a one-sided discussion.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 08:34 PM
link   

If anyone's curious, I'm quite offended that lordinfamous is so ignorant as to insult my own struggles and hardships because I'm white, so somehow my hurdles are somehow less than his.

so you've expierienced the following: racial profiling, being overly observed in stores, getting pulled over for driving a nice car, and witnessing a look of bewilderment and awe on white ppl's faces due to the fact you don't use slang words and have a big vocab?

all that comes with the territory of being black.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 08:37 PM
link   

^^^^now THAT was a good strategy.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 08:37 PM
link   

thats it
i want a Asian history month

everyone seems to have somesort of month

top topics