Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

question for white folks.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 10:24 PM
link   
even though black history month isin't till next year, i was wondering if yall considered it as significant as us black folks do. or perhaps, do yall just conisder it another day?

if it IS as significant, why do you think so? if it ISIN'T then again, why do you think so?

imo, black history month shows america that the stereotypes are WRONG.

but this isin't about what i think. it's about what white ppl think. so, white ppl, get in here and answer.

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 10:42 PM
link   
I'm a white people, and I don't know what to think.

will there be pie?

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 10:42 PM
link   
I think a bit about how far race relations have come and how far they have to go. However in my case since Race doesn't even enter into the equation as far as dealing with people I don't really think about it too much. I sorta plod along and try to set a good example. So I don't really celebrate it but I don't ignore it either.

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 11:38 PM
link   
I had a bus to catch back in December of 2007 while I was in San Francisco...I live in Southern California.

I had to walk 20 blocks (because I took San Fran Public Transportation) and walked past the MLK JR. Memorial...forget the address.

I stayed for about thirty minutes despite the fact that I didn't know if I would catch my bus on time....

I read the walls...I looked at the fountain....and I made sure with every second that I would remember it.

For what it is worth...I think that Black History is more important than American History, in some cases. And while I think aspects of the Civil Rights movement were perhaps orchestrated by the powers that be, I think that the fact that it did indeed occur is a relevant factor....and was long over due.

Where I come from...people are people. Period. And I still look back and shake my head at what occurred.

The Great Debaters...one of my favorite movies in recent history...and not just because I live in the Debate Forum...

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by LordInfamous

Huh, I always thought Black History was:

o Black Plague;
o Day after Thanksgiving - busiest shopping day;
o Eruption of Krakatoa;
o Stockmarket crash 10-28-29;
o British withdrawal of the pound;
o August 24, 1995, when the Moscow interbank credit market collapsed;
o Cuban Missile Crisis;
o Rock group formed 1968 Ozzie Osbourne;
o MLK's Death.

LOL @ 'white folks'. Indians and chinese may not reply...

[edit on 1-8-2008 by Badge01]

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 12:42 AM
link   
I just don't get excited by "iconic" references. I don't give a damn about the american flag, my birthday, marriage (although my girlfriend will find a way to drag me into it), Black History Month, The 4th of July, The fact i'm italian, or anything of the sort.

I think its overly self-important to think of these things as important. I like Christmas though. But really, I think it does nothing but segregate us from you. Just like my birthday would, because no one who comes is having a birthday that day, so its stupid. God bless my black roomate and all my great black friends, and thank goodness for the civil rights movement...

But I could really care less about black history month. Just like I don't care about ramadan, saint patrick's day, or Jewish holidays. Its just a time for people to remember an ugly time for both your descendants and mine.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 03:04 AM
link   

imo, black history month shows america that the stereotypes are WRONG.

I agree and disagree, I believe black history month is a stereotype in itself. Black people should not be separated from the country or society that they have contributed to. They should be remembered as individuals that have made their place in history along with all the members of the society or country they are part of.

If you differentiate black people from American people ,white people ,or any other kind of people you are setting an arena type atmosphere for closed minded fools.

In other words, if you choose to be separated, then you will be,

or...... if you're preaching the importance of color then you have just fueled the fire.

I don't have the answer to how we can truly achieve equality, but I'm pretty sure that black history month is not guiding us in the right direction.

You wanted an honest white guys opinion..... so there you go.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 03:17 AM
link   
*looks at self*

I am not white... I am sort of pinkish

Anyways...

the only dates i put significance on are Samhain/Halloween, and thanksgiving. What's not to like about Samhain (however I usually have to work on it). And Thanksgiving is always about family and lots of good grub.

I do think there are a lot of humble black leaders out there. Many that were moving speakers, that had the experience of being stepped on and been without.

Truly though, I don't get wrapped up in the hype. we all bleed red, unless of course your an alien... but I accept them too... just not their probes.

[edit on 8/1/2008 by eye open doors]

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 04:06 AM
link   
I greatly dislike Black History Month.

I think it is just part of the force feeding that is taking place, laying down the lines to keep us divided...

We dont need a Black history month, anymore then we need a white history month...

History should be taught in the context of history, not with Racial overtones, that WILL ONLY lead to further division...

History shouldn't be taught by the color of ones skin.
Inventions should be classified by the color of ones skin.

Each passing year, Febuary becomes more and more saturated with 'Black History' With all the attention on the skin color..

IMHO, it is also demeaning to Blacks, as the Term, "Black History' is implying that they are apart from 'American History'.

The Black populations is as a much a part of this country as ANY OTHER POPULATION.

The idea is also boarderline racist. Why does any one Race deserve an Entire month devoted to them? We live in a multiracial society here, and we do not need division.

If it is acceptable to have 'Black History Month', why not other 'races'... How long before we have to have 'Arab Hisotyr Month', or "asian History Month', or 'European history month'...

What entitles one group of people to have this privilage...

AS it is now, each febuary, kids across the US, are forced to deviate from thier regualr learning schedual, to be taught 'Black History'... Which should be taught in American History...

AND, IF Black History Month is all about the History of Africa, then it should be dropped all together, and just taught in an African History class.

I hope i made my point clear, and i wil clarifiy anything that is confusing...

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 04:18 AM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

The film The Great Debators part of it was made here, and the movie crew stayed at the bar/hotel where my aunt is the bartender!
I have a friend that played an extra!
The crew was expected to show up for the weekend and I was planning on meeting Denzel and the rest but, the weather slowed them down from coming at the time!
I was also in Shreveport gambling when I had seen a few that were in the movie a week or so before they made it to Palestine!

I waitressed at the the bar when American Outlaws was made and worked measuring the extras for the movie!
Plenty good times meeting and partying with everyone in that movie eventhough it sucked but...Collin Farell and Ali Larter have made it pretty big since!
en.wikipedia.org...

...as for Black History Month it just seems to bring back racism in itself!
...and BET does too!

Let someone make WET=White Entertainment Television, and see what happens! lol

...anyway I am far from being racist and have grown up with colored people, and have a mix in my blood!

Everyone just needs to leave it all in the past and work towards a better, and brighter future!

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Iam completely color blind.
To honor the accomplishments of great people in history is wonderful thing though.
Personally, I named my son Nelson..after Nelson Mandela, and yeah, I'm white.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 06:43 AM
link   
It is important to showcase and point out the many many achievements of black people throughout history. Black history month is a great thing that allows for the education and enlightenment of everyone.

What I am against is any kind of seggregated black only things like award shows and the like. It's horribly racist and needs to stop.

BTW Givenmay, they do have a WET channel, it's called TNN (of course Spike Lee sued when they changed the name of TNN to Spike TV)

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 10:59 AM
link   
While I do see the importance of showing the achievements made by groups of people, I do find it somewhat racist to have these things. If we started seeing ads for white history month specials on tv would there not be an uprising?

We have award ceremonies for achievment in (insert media here) and then you have Latin Grammys, Afircan American Literary Awards etc.

double edged sword. You want to get exposure for people but, by setting up awards that reduce the competition, you are also segregating yourself to some degree.

I will say this tho, I like the concept as a means of educating people so, when my daughter came home one day last year telling me about how she read this book about Martin Luther King in class (kindergarten) last year I was impressed. When she came home the next day and started talking to me about Muhammad Ali I was floored. the teacher had picked 5 famous african american figures from the past to study over 5 days.

For these kinds of purposes, having designated "history months" or weeks are excellent. When you take the same concept and use it to, primarily, make a buck (Latin Grammys etc) I find it has a somewhat negative impact on the concept of unity.

As the great Cyrill Neville once said "there ain't but one race, the human race"

words to live by

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 11:16 AM
link   
I have the light olive skin of a tropical chiquita, and dark hair and very dark eyes- For the record.

Anyway, everything, every race interests me including lost indian tribes and how they live. There have been many black heroes, and every color right up to white.

Here's to Purple too

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   
What do I think about Black History Month? Talk about a controversial subject. My kind of subject indeed.
For the record, I am a white middle aged male. My ancestry is Italian.
I will go on record here, and apologize in advance if I offend anyone. I think that dedicating a month to anything is over the top. All races have good and bad. Since this one is specifically targeting 'blacks' I will give my view on several.

Dr. Martin Luther King is one of my heroes. He single handedly changed the way an entire country acted. And did it in a peaceful manner.

George Washington Carver was a true genius. What he did with peanut research is truly astounding.

Molly Pitcher. Unbelievably brave and astute.

Lewis Latimer. Does anyone even know that this man actually is the creator of the lightbulb?

Tuskegee Airmen? I'd pick them to be my wingmen every time.

Muhammad Ali. Yes sir. He was the greatest. As my Pop-Pop once said, he wishes he could have seen Ali and Marciano fight.

Jimi Hendrix. He changed music. He was so far ahead of his time that I think he had Titor envoius.

That being said - there is another side to the coin.

Reverend Sharpton is a shame to the human race. He rides coat tails, and tries to make headlines, while not making any difference at all.

Jesse Jackson. See above sentence.

To encapsulate. I think it's very important to show the achievements of every man. His/her color, religous beliefs, or sexual orientation should mean nothing.

Do I like Black History Month? No I don't. I respect those people of color who made a difference, and am lucky enough to have been educated in a family who was color blind. However dedicating a month to 'blacks' as a whole takes away from the individual achievments of those who truly did OVERCOME.

I would say the same thing about 'homosexual month' 'Italian immigrants month' 'female activist month'....etc...........

I hope I answered your question LI.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by lombozo

Great summary!

You know when I read that I don't think of Muhammad Ali as a 'Black hero'. I don't really think of his race at all.

To me he's like Bruce Lee, or Dempsey, or Achilles, or Pele - great heroes. They transcend race. Why limit them by lumping them into a '(insert name here) Month'?

Nicely done.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I don't think you're going to get the answers you were hoping for.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Bombeni

i wasn't hoping for any kind of answers. i was just wanting to read the different types of answers that i knew i'd get.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Ok, so as a black folk, are you pleased or displeased with the responses? And why?

Good thread, btw.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Why? Did you have a preconceived idea of the answers? What is it you are trying to learn?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join