It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A disurbing event in the North East.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 08:32 PM
link   
I presently live in a seaside town, in the North East of England (UK).

Right now it is raining in my town, as it has been for the last two hours or so.

In the last ten minutes a VERY thick fog has rolled in.

The town is very quiet, more so than I would normally expect for this time of night. Often seagulls can be heard.

Ocassionally a car passes my house, but that is once every ten to fifteen minutes.

The odd events are the flashes in the sky. These are bright white flashes, like lightning, but no sound accompanies them.

I can hear very clearly the sounds from outside, as I have the windows open. There is the occasional car, as mentioned, and the droplets of rain bouncing off everything they hit. There is no wind, so even the trees are still.

Are there any others on here tonight that have seen, or know what these flashes might be?

I have looked out of the window for anything that might be in the sky, such as a helicopter with a search light, but can see nothing (because of the fog), and can hear nothing either.

It certainly is very odd, and most distubring sitting here in the dark and seeing these flashes without the usual rumble of thunder. This certainly has my curiosity on a high!

I realise that you, the reader, only have my word for these events, but I have no equipment with which to take any film... so I may only relay what I see in words.

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Light travels faster and further than sound.You can often see lightning but hear no thunder.The still wind and trickling rain means its the start of a storm.

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Good Luck to you DP!, but could you kindly change the title of the thread to North East UK.....

To most, the Northeast is in the US. NY, NJ, MA, CT, RI, NH, VT ME

Thanks

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 08:39 PM
link   
I too live in North East England but slightly inland and I'm not experiencing any of the phenomonom's that you mention.
That's not to say that I disbelieve what you have said.

U2U me where you live and if I know anyone who lives near you I will ask them if they too experienced anything strange.

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 08:39 PM
link   
It could simply be that it is a thunderstorm out at sea, I'm not overly familiar with the laws of physics as such but I do know that light does travel faster than sound. And the fog may be muffling the sound. Not sure but I have seen lightening before without the accompanying noise of thunder, especially in heavy cloud. I think may be when it is sheet lightening as opposed to fork...but again I'm no expert.

I'm in York, raining here too, no lightening though...but it is forecast to head this way at some point.

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 08:42 PM
link   
I've noticed them in the Northeast of America this summer.
They seemed unnatural , Same conditions , Light rain,no wind, like Lightning
but in the clouds no long lightning arms to speak of.
I thought it was strange that no thunder accompanied them, this went on for an hour or so ,and then the thunder started and it became a regular type storm.but no wind.
It is the first I ever saw of this .I have no idea if it is normal ,or an anomaly,
or an event unexplainable by weather experts.

If someone knows more about this I would be keen to listen.

[edit on 31-7-2008 by solo1]

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 08:46 PM
link   
It is common for heat lightning to flash with no thunder accompanying it .

Google is your friend

source

Lightning Without Thunder
Scattered thunderstorms often occur in hot, humid weather. Some pass overhead, bringing rain. Others may pass a moderate distance away. We see lightning forked, sheet, ribbon) and hear thunder, but no rain falls. Finally, there are storms that pass a long distance from us whose presence is only noted by their clouds and flashes of yellow-tinted lightning.

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by dampnickers

Hey im in the midlands and it is the same here.It almost seems like the thunder is arriving before the lightning.I have tried filming but my camera phone is useless and doesn`t pick up the sounds.Two days ago the weather was very peculiar,really hot and sunny but there were spots of rain or very light drizzle.

The weather seems to have gone a bit tropical.

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Tuebor

This is not 'yellow tinted'. It is bright white light.

The fog is illuminated by the street lamps, as such it has an orange hue to it. The light from above is bright and white.

I cannot hear any thunder. There have been no low rumbles, and my hearing is VERY good.

The weather isn't warm either, it is actually rather cool. It was a relatively windy day, and there was a sea fret this morning which helped to keep the day cool. The evening was sunny, clear, and cool.

The rain has since stopped, and the flashes have too. Still no thunder.

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by tracey ace

It seems odd that you are experiencing it. I have just called a friend of mine who lives about ten miles away.

I am reliably informed that the sky is clear, and there are no flashes, rumbles or rain.

Strange.

Another mystery to add to the list...

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Dark Knight spring to mind for anyone or is it me being paranoid?
Especially as I am very sceptical of that whole scenario and everything surrounding him.

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Okay, I can see you didn't read the information I included.

It is common for distant storms to flash lightnight ( sheet lightning) without hearing the thunder. Again, light travels faster than sound. THe storm is too far to hear the lightning. I can't make it any clearer. No mystery here.
It happens all the time in the States

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 09:03 PM
link   
www.bbc.co.uk...

Satellite pic at 1 am gmt.
Strange weather but if you consider last year and the floods we have been lucky so far.

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
Dark Knight spring to mind for anyone or is it me being paranoid?
Especially as I am very sceptical of that whole scenario and everything surrounding him.

I know it will go off topic by asking this, and as it is my post, I suppose I have that perogative....

What is 'Dark Knight', or who?

Have I been under a rock for the last millennium? What am I missing here?

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Hey i'm from the north east to and its pretty bad here, theres quite a bit of thunder and lightining (got all the house alarms blaring in the background
), I dont think theres anything to worry about though its just a bad storm.

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 09:08 PM
link   

If a slightly skewed looking Adrienne Barbeau comes to your door, do NOT let her in!

Well, at least make sure she's alone.

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Tuebor

I did read the information posted, however, as you didn't note, I added further information.

Such as the 'bright white light'... your information suggested yellow-ish light, etc.

I have not said that the events happening were any one thing, nor did I suggest. I simply asked if anyone was experiencing similar, and/or if anyone knew what it might be.

Thank you for posting the information though. I do appreciate it.

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 09:12 PM
link   

This may help you, most probably unconnected but.........

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I think the link to the original thread is in the OP.

Even if it is unrelated it's still an interesting read.

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by fred3110

Well, it is a FIRST for me.

I have never experienced a thunderstorm where I was unable to hear the sound of the electromagnetic discharges.

The atmosphere provided by the fog, lack of other sounds or wind, certainly added to the whole saga.

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Okay.

No worries.

I'm glad I was able to help resolve the mystery for ya.

Cheers.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join