It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If Peter Is The Rock....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Now,i believe that Peter was given power and authority by Jesus,just like the other disciples were.

But the Catholics claim that he is the Rock i just don't accept.

Much has been made over the translation of the verse below;
Matthew 16:18

And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

Yet this avenue does not need to be taken to prove that Peter is not the Rock,all you need is the Bible.

Deuteronomy 32:4

He is the Rock, his work is perfect: for all his ways are judgment: a God of truth and without iniquity, just and right is he.

Ephesians 2:19-22

Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners,but fellow citizens with the saints,and of the household of God;20 And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets,Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone.21 In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord:22 In whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit.

Psalms 18:2

The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower.

Revelation 21:14

And the wall of the city had twelve foundations, and in them the names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb.

1 Corinthians 10:4

And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them:and that Rock was Christ.

As the Ephesians and revelation quotes show,Jesus is the Rock,the Chief Corner Stone and all the apostles,not just Peter,are the foundations on which His church is to be built.

I'm curious as to why the CC would ignore such verses.

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Maybe because they don't?

Why would you think they do? Peter's place is the steward of the Church that Christ was/is the foundation of. Therefor the use of the same terminology makes a lot of sense, no?

You seem to be preoccupied with Catholicism. Would you like a few recommendations for Catholic resources or apologetics? ATS is fun for heated debates but there is a lot more heat than light found here.

Eric

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Matthew 18:20
"For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them."

IMHO That is the definition of a "Church" in the bible. Not a building.

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 08:36 PM
link   
How should we tell. Well by the fruits of course. So, what are the fruits of the Catholic Church? What is it that the Church has to give to Christ when he returns?

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by popeye0314

I would say that the fruits would be a mixed bag, like all endeavors undertaken by men. Universities, hospices, orphanages, Christian outreach, fellowship and hospitals on one side with venality and human corruption on the other. Are you saying that one out weighs the other?

Eric

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 09:02 PM
link   
One is equal to the other. What good is it to do deeds and proclaim them as love when you profit from the deed. There is a long history of the Catholic Church and her fruits. I know there is no need to argue the points, as we already have. As the saying goes, "Don't judge a book by its cover". If the church was a book, you shouldn't judge it by its pages or paragraphs either. But really, the whole thing was a beautiful concept.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 04:14 AM
link   

You seem to be preoccupied with Catholicism.

I study all religions.
I've started with catholics because i used to be one and its the biggest Christian faith in the world.
I'll get to the others soon enough.

The Holy See's authority rests on the authority of Peter.He was to lay foundations just like the other apostles,yet the Catholics have usurped his power by claiming to be the only true church.

It also used to be part of Catholic doctrine that you had to worship and accept Peter to be a member.(i will find the quotes when i have more time.)

new topics

top topics

join