It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Encompasses A Great Thread???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 10:38 AM
link   
(Mods:My I bring up a new thread on a old subject? I have been through the guides, without the following questions being answered in detail.)

I have been over here (ATS) and over there (BTS) and have seen all sorts of threads. Ones that I don't care paticularlly for, others that have me posting up a storm.

My questions to the enlightened ATS(ers):

1.) What embodies worthy content for a great thread?

2.) Does thread structure matter? What layout or format is good to follow?

3.) What kind of material subject matter is important for thread participation?

4.) How does one come about good thread titles?

Now I ask interactively the enlightened ATS individuals: Seasoned veterans, Mods, and the "Gods" of ATS (siteadmins, owners etc.): To teach others and myself by way of the questions stated above and other means, the right way to offer subjects (threads) on this awesome site.

I am here to learn and to share knowledge, yet right now I am taking notes with my pen and paper in hand.

Please help me out!

Thanks in advance!

[edit on 31-7-2008 by theability]

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Thanks for even caring

My opinion only:

1.) What embodies worthy content for a great thread?

Something well-thoughout or something new or a new twist on something old.
Maybe some data/references or pictures to back up what you are saying.

Something you noticed or found out that hasnt been published or beaten to death yet.

2.) Does thread structure matter? What layout or format is good to follow?

Leaving some spaces here and there makes it easier to read.

3.) What kind of material subject matter is important for thread participation?

Ive noticed that if its an opening post that "gives all the answers" without asking any questions, the thread wont pick up, because thereĀ“s nothing to discuss...even if its an excellent opening post.

Unfortunately extremely controversial opinions get the most replies. Some people deliberately post extreme opinions just for the attention they get. This is called "Trolling". Trolling is best responded to by not responding at all.

Other than that, topics that invite many different angles, invite creativity by the posters, invite research, invite questions will generally run well.

4.) How does one come about good thread titles?

By choosing something that helps readers to have a vague idea what they are clicking on.

They get angry at misleading titles and then tend to dismiss the thread.

You can get the best answers to your questions by looking at what threads have been popular, liked, flagged, appreciated in the last years.

Flags are more important than replies because they are a true indicator of the value of a thread for the members.

Good luck creating the perfect thread.

join