It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Henery Kissinger: Obama's Iraq timline is dangerous.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Kissinger does a much better job of explaining what I've tired to explain. That setting a time line for withdraw, is about the worst military blinder you can make in Iraq right now.

Kissinger Says Pullout Timeline Poses Danger to Iraq
By Thomas Keene and Mark Drajem

July 22 (Bloomberg) -- Former U.S. Secretary of State Henry Kissinger said the biggest danger to Iraq would be to set a schedule for the withdrawal of American troops, as Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama has proposed.

Kissinger, who backs Obama's Republican rival, Senator John McCain, said today in an interview that he is ``fairly optimistic'' about the situation in Iraq. ``Ironically, the one way to defeat the optimistic assessment one would make about Iraq is to establish timelines,'' he said.

Obama, a senator from Illinois, is on a tour of the Middle East, and said today in Jordan that he wants a ``steady, deliberate'' pullout of troops from Iraq over 16 months. During Obama's visit to Iraq yesterday, Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki expressed the hope that security and political conditions would permit an American pullout in 2010, without explicitly endorsing Obama's plan.

Obama said his withdrawal plan would be flexible enough to respond to surges in violence that posed a threat of genocide.

Kissinger said providing a firm timetable would allow different factions to wait out the American presence, risking a return of violence after the U.S. left. He also took an indirect swipe at Obama for raising the issue with al-Maliki and other Iraqi leaders. The debate over keeping troops in Iraq should be confined to the U.S. presidential campaign, he said.

``I am extremely uneasy about public negotiating that is part of a domestic debate,'' Kissinger said. ``I am very uneasy that it has taken a public turn.''

www.bloomberg.com...

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 04:56 PM
link   
"Military men are dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns for foreign policy."

Henry Kissinger says a lot of things, including the above quote.

Kissinger was also a prominent member of the Trilateral Commission. I personally distrust this man and I question his motives on any issue especially Iraq policy.

I am sure, on ATS, his opinion is not highly valued.

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by DINSTAAR

Do you have source where he stated that? Originally I thought you were saying military people are dumb. sorry about that..

[edit on 31-7-2008 by jam321]

join