It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sooners on the board...Or oodles of okies

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by six

You must be fairly young. When I was growing up around 50th and May there was NOTHING past 63rd all the out to Edmond. Since there was nothing to run into, I learned to drive out there. It expanded quickly shortly after I left home. Nice area. Still have family here?

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Holy....Holy crap...

I'm home

I've been lurking on ATS for a few months now, posting here and there, throwing out hooks to see who from Oklahoma would bite. Finally stumbled across this thread.

I'd like to point out that DaddyMax is an @$$hole for not telling me about this thread...considering he sits 4 chairs down from me every night at work.

Anywhooz, It's great to find other Okies on here and putting together a thread was a great idea.

Little bit about me. I was born in Manhattan, KS. but only lived about 2 years there. I grew up in the 80's in Tulsa but due to the crappy economy in Oklahoma at that time had to move back to Kansas in Jan. of 91. But as grace of God may have it, back in OK by 96. This time in Depew. Moved to Stroud a few years later, made it through the tornado...graduated Stroud High and moved to Stillwater GO POKES!!! Lived there a couple of years and moved to Dewey (2 minutes north of Bartlesville) At this point in my life, I felt I was ready for a major purchase, but instead of a house, I settled for buying DaddyMax. He's been my property and companion ever since.

Good to know yall and hope to see you at the bar!

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by midnightbrigade

Welcome home, MB. Glad you finally found us.

Good purchase on the daddymax and you're right; he'll have to be chastised for not sharing the Okie lounge with you.

We've been talking about geting together for a while around here but Okies are a fairly independent bunch and it's a bit like herding cats. Made some good friends on this board and always glad to welcome another.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I hope if you are in the Tulsa area you'll come and see the Tulsa Parade of Lights this Saturday evening. The weather is supposed to be quite mild (50's) and my trail riding club (The Bad Girls Trail Riding Club or BGTRC) will be riding in it. It looks like I am going to be riding in it myself this year, although I'm not sure what horse I'll be riding as mine isn't quite parade ready yet.

I will be on "vacation" from the 20th thru the 29th and as far as I know, we aren't going anywhere .. Hubby has to work. So if you need a place to stop and rest during travels (I'm not far off of either 51 hwy or 412/64) or want to come and visit, I should be around. Bring food!

If anyone wants to ride, bring a horse - hunting season is finally over so we have lots of choices - Walnut Creek, Lake Carl Blackwell, Bell Cow, Keystone Ramp, etc. There will be a "Black-Eyed Pea Ride" on Jan. 1st at Lake Carl Blackwell that I hope to be riding in if anyone's interested in joining us.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 04:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Heike

Wont be on a horse...but I might be on a Banshee!

God I love 4 wheelers

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 06:13 AM
link   
Alright Okies,

I'm looking for land...Must have a lake, river or fast moving stream quite near (less than a half mile...Decent forested area...and I don't want to pay an arm and a leg for it.

I've looked at Remax and Century 21 and they are all wanting a crapload of money, like 6000 for a damned lot!

It's ridiculous. I'm willing to pay a fair price for good land, but I'm not shilling out 3 grand an acre.

Who can help me?

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Lot going on this time of year so will have to get back to you on some possible land buys. Since Oklahoma is not a particularly financially depressed area, 3k an acre is about the going price.

There is cheaper land available here but you'll commute quite a ways to your job. Since you work outside your home, commute time will be a consideration when gas prices go back up. Oklahoma is a spread out (land wise) kind of place.

Happy holidays to you all and stay warm.

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 02:28 AM
link   
reply to post by whitewave

Commuting is no big...I really just want the land for a getaway, and possible retirement area. I'm no where near retirement but hell, never hurts to have a bug out spot right?

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 03:15 AM
link   
Oh! You were finished?...Well allow me to retort! I own Midnight Brigade...ever since '77, and I have the receipt to prove it. I promise you he will be flogged accordingly, and I offer my humblest apologies for letting him out of his cage!

In all honesty I believe I made mention of this AWESOME Okie thread, nut I may have not fully explained the significance of having our OWN thread! It is a great place to meet and greet our people.

Midnight Brigade and myself have actually found some good properties down in the Red River areas of the Sooner State, and are collaborating on have to make it feasible to become land owners there...mention this ad and get a 5% discount...he he he.

We do need to have this long overdue meeting of like minds, hopefully before 2012 when the aliens come back, and take our crystal skulls. Any workable suggestions? Other than
:w:
... Not that there is anything wrong with that!

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Yes, I keep saying we'll have to have a get-together. I'm sure you'll be watching the game tomorrow so I won't bother you with thinking of anything else.

Heike, honey. How was your parade?

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 06:53 PM
link   

You should look out in my area. Forested land is going for about $1,000 - $1500 an acre depending on improvements and utilities, and we're close to various parts of Keystone Lake as well as the Cimarron river and smaller rivers. That'd be northwest Creek County and Southeast Pawnee county, around Mannford, Cleveland, Terlton, and Jennings. There are places for sale all around me, although I don't know the details or prices. Google "Pawnee Land Brokers," and when you call ask for Angie and claim to be a friend of Heike's. (tell her Kathey's friend with the paint mare that her little girl rode around on if she doesn't remember the name).

The parade was cold and windy. I rode a 23 yo palomino ropin' horse named Buddy. Luckily he's a "been there done that" horse and I didn't have any trouble with him, but the high winds were bothering a lot of the horses. Still, we rode and didn't have any "incidents." In the Tulsa World's Parade of Lights slideshow, picture #8 features myself (on the left / furthest from the camera) and my parade partner.

On Jan. 1st we went to Bell Cow Lake (near Chandler) and rode a 12.5 mile trail. We had gorgeous weather for it after the sun came out and the wind died down, and Sundae, my paint mare, and I did great.

We'll be having a couple of rides in March, including riding in the Shamrock Parade, and an overnight camping ride at Lake Carl Blackwell (Stillwater).

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Nice pics...who is that in #4, shoo. Anyways- FOR ALL OF US WHO WOULD LIKE TO ATTEND: 2 pm in Jenks there are a few of us meeting at Big Daddy's barbecue.

Here's the skinny:

How's about Saturday Jan. 10, 2009. Jenks, OK. Big Daddy's All-American Barbecue:

399 E Main St
Jenks, OK 74037
(918) 299-6676

Midnight Brigade(Travis) and I will be there at 2 ish. I grew up there in Jenks, if you need directions...U2U me. Be sure you bring a pillow-you will eat 'til you pop. That Big Daddy potato is simply one of the best meals I have EVER had! I am a big dude and I cannot finish one...always need a nap afterwords-LOL.

I grew up in Jenks, if you need any kind of directions, U2U me. Looking forward to seeing you!
Max

Here's the site for menu info:
bigdaddybbq.com...

Come hungry...leave satisfied! I promise!

THANKS again Whitewavefor this AWESOME thread!!!

after EDIT: took my cell # off...sorry!

[edit on 7-1-2009 by daddymax]

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 12:16 AM
link   
I checked out that menu, daddymax. Looks like I better bring my appetite. Hopefully there'll be a bunch of conspiratorial-minded Okies showing up for a large lunch.

See yall there.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Thanks for the info and the reference Heike! You rule!

I actually grew up not far from there. I was wondering if anything was mountainous in that area, from my knowledge it was all pretty flat. Not a deal breaker, just curious.

As for the Luncheon, I hope we have a big turnout, but even if we don't, it will be fun. Tin foil will be available for hats, and we will be serving BBQ'd disinfo agents.

Hope to see you all there!

Edit to add: Whitewave, I will NOT be eating the meatloaf

[edit on 8-1-2009 by midnightbrigade]

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Mountainous? No. But hilly! My house is on the side of a hill, and there really isn't much "flat" around here. I mean, it's not the Rockies, but it's not flat.
The "main" road from Hwy 48 to Terlton is practically a roller coaster ride.

See?

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Heike

Awesome! That looks perfect. By the way, I dig your house. Looks cooler than the underside of the pillow

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Well, I'm here to report that 4 of us (me, whitewave, midnightbrigade, and daddymax, joined by Whitewave's son and midnightbrigade's significant other) actually MET in person this afternoon, and as far as I know we all survived the experience. We ate barbeque (or catfish) and talked, and it was fun meeting y'all.

We talked about doing it again soon, perhaps at my house or at a restaurant in Cleveland or Sand Springs, and now that we've broken the proverbial ice we hope more of you ATS Okies will be brave enough to join us.

We promise there were no hatchets, axes, or even guns at the meeting, and there weren't even any damages to the restaurant when we left. So there you are, none of us are psychopaths or even meanies. Join us next time!

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 09:00 PM
link   
What Heike said!

Think we even made a convert there. One of the restaurant employees looked up ATS for the first time so we'll have to watch for him to sign up and wander into the Okie thread.

Since not everyone could make it this time, we're shooting for warmer weather and less drive time for our next meet up.

No one showed up in a tinfoil hat (this time ) but, thanks to ATS, we now know where to order them. LOL. Everyone was gainfully employed and no one was mildewing in their mother's basement. That counts as sane these days, doesn't it?

Thanks Daddymax for taking charge and picking a spot to meet. Who knew that would be the only hold up to meeting?

All in all, looking forward to doing it again. When we get around to invading Heike's place I'll bring the homemade wine and brownies.

OKIES RULE!

[edit on 10-1-2009 by whitewave]

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Twas good times...those who weren't able to make it missed out on some tasty eats!

Hope to see more next time!

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Sorry to have missed out on this fine bunch of Okies at Jenks. U2U me with the next plans for getting together. I'll try to take off work then and get my tin foil hat back from the cleaners too.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join