It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sooners on the board...Or oodles of okies

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Safe or not...I always display my Cowboys regalia proudly!!!

I like all of the Oklahoma teams, but I played for, and will always root for OSU

I think it is silly for some of these people to riot, and caused damage in the names of their particular favorites. Trust me, no one at any of these institutions applaud any actions of belligerent fans. Admire their tenacity...sure. Condone destructive activities...not so much.

Any ways, just checking in. Have fun watching OSU beat the UGLY off of Missouri State tomorrow at 12:05 pm on direct tv channel 617...

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Oh yeah...Happy belated B-Day Whitewave...

The best to all of yours from all of mine...

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by daddymax

Thanks, daddymax. I had a great b-day.

Team loyalty seems a little odd to me, especially since players get traded to other teams in other states. It's not like the players who comprise a team are actually FROM the state they're playing for and even if they are, it seems a bit "tribal" to be so fiercely loyal to a bunch of people you don't really know just because they were accidentally born in the same state.

I guess I just don't understand sports.

Anyway, thanks for checking in. Seems it's pretty hard to get people together to meet. Unless someone comes up with a date to meet it looks like we'll have to be satisfied with the thread only. I'm gonna check around and see what sort of events are coming up in Oklahoma that people might want to go to. Might could meet there. Hmmm.

Ahll be bock (she says in terminator voice)

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I'm back with news of events and attractions, all happening in our fair state.

There are paintball and off-road events. Info about those is here.

Some of the more "tame" events are here

Some of the "special" events are here.

And then there's the general info on most of the attractions and events in Oklahoma here

That should get everyone started. Enjoy.

[edit to change "pain" ball to "paint" ball. excuse me, my freudian slip was showing. lol]

[edit on 13-9-2008 by whitewave]

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Where'd everybody go? I know thoughts are on the economy and such but if anyone is entertaining ideas of being with like-minded people close by for mutual survival, this might be a good place for Okies to swap ideas.

Also, I don't remember if I mentioned Soldiermom; she's an okie too. Around Tulsa, I think. How did all the conspiratorial minds in Oklahoma wind up in the Tulsa area? I think it's a conspiracy.

Did anyone go to the state fair this year?

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 03:30 AM
link   
reply to post by whitewave

I'm still around, but I don't get much time on here. Though I do spend at least an hour a day researching news, and doing a quick read on ATS to see what's at the top.

The Tulsa State fair is at the end of this month, and I know I'll be there. I'm probably taking my daughters. I took them last year and had a ton of pics, but as we were leaving, the batteries fell out of the camera and erased all of the pictures. (it was a really cheap camera, but did take decent pics)

So anyway.. I am still looking forward to meeting all of you. Though I do see this as being the type of event that could last for HOURS ha ha

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Soldiermom here. I live in the podunk town of Wagoner. Not by choice. We just happened to find a good deal on real estate here. We're about 35 miles NE of Tulsa. I'm an Okie from Muskogee since that's where I was born.

I've lived in Tulsa, Muskogee, Warner, Keefeton, Coweta and now Wagoner. I spent a whopping 6 weeks in California with my grandmother back in '93 and finally came home because I got sick of people asking if we still had lots of Indians and cowboys and just the freakiness of most Californians in general. (No offense intended to any transplants)

I noticed a few of you mentioned Robbers Cave and that's one of my favorite places to go. We usually try to make the festival they have every year. One of the best places to eat in Tulsa is Mario's Pizzeria. The sausage rolls are amazing.

Look forward to a possible meet and greet and melding of great minds in the near future.

Thanks Whitewave for getting all us Okie's together.

Go Poke's basketball! I hope the new coach can get us to the Big Dance!

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 02:35 PM
link   
We already had our State Fair. I guess they're going to Tulsa next. Enjoy. The Indian Tacos are worth the wait in line.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Did anyone go to the bigfoot festival in Honobia, Ok.? I went on Saturday with my son. I'd never gone to the festival before because....well.....I didn't figure bigfoot was gonna show up and give a speech.

Unbelievably difficult to find. If I ever want to drop off the face of the planet and not worry about being found, Honobia, Okla. is the spot. Two of the 3 maps I had were blatantly wrong and, persistent cuss that I am, when I finally began narrowing in on the town, the signs were wrong. :bnghd:

Anyway, there were speakers and lots of bigfoot memorabilia. The Indian Tacos were not as good as the ones I make but not bad. Indian Tacos are like breakfast: just can't mess them up.

I didn't win the gift basket or the .22 rifle they were giving away in the drawing but no surprise there. Rained in the morning so I'm glad I missed that with all my driving around in circles. All in all, worth the trip.

The locals were calm and seemed very peaceful. May go again next year just to talk to the locals. One doesn't often meet people these days that aren't stressed to the max, nerves frayed, on the edge of psychosis. It was a refreshing change.

There's an Octoberfest the weekend of the 24th in Talihina if anyone wants to meet me there.

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Guess I'm just talking to myself here. :w:

Anyway, wanted to introduce Mr Headshot to the Okie board. I invited him to come on over so everybody send him a U2U and make him feel welcome.

Anyone want to join me in Talihina the weekend of the 24th for the October fest? Nice weather, pretty scenery, good company. Send me a U2U (or email for those of you who have it) and let me know if I can expect to see you there.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 07:28 PM
link   
A little something I ran across on the internet that I thought I'd share with my fellow okies. That short attention span I suffer from has already caused me to forget which site it was so I'll have to go back and find it so I can credit it here. Enjoy.

HOW OKLAHOMA WAS REALLY MADE

Once upon a time in the Kingdom of Heaven, God was missing for 6 days.
Eventually, Michael, the archangel found him resting on the 7th day. He
inquired of God, "Where have you been?" God sighed a deep sigh of
satisfaction and proudly pointed downward through the clouds.

"I've put LIFE on it. I'm going to call it Earth and it's going to be a
great place of balance."

"Balance?" , inquired Michael, still confused.

God explained, pointing to different parts of Earth. "For example,
Northern
Europe will be a place of great opportunity and wealth, while Southern
Europe
is going to be poor, the Middle East over there will be a hot spot.
Over
there, I've placed a continent of white people and over there is a
continent
of black people"

God continued, pointing to different countries. "This one will be
extremely
hot and arid, while this one will be very cold and covered with ice".

The archangel, impressed by God's work, then pointed to a beautiful land
in
the center of a large mass. "What is that one?"

"Ah" said God. "That is Oklahoma, the most glorious place on earth.
There's
beautiful lakes, rivers and streams and prairie. The people from
Oklahoma
are going to be modest, intelligent and humorous, and they are going to
be
found traveling the world. They will be extremely sociable,
hard-working and
high-achieving and they will be known throughout the world as diplomats
and
carriers of peace.

I'm also going to give them a super-human football team which will be
admired
and feared by all who come across them."

Michael gasped in wonder and admiration, but then proclaimed, "What
about
balance, God? You said there will be balance."

God replied wisely, "Wait until you see the loud-mouth morons I'm
putting
next to them. I will call it Texas."

EDIT to include that this was found on Oklahoma Dark Skyes

[edit on 23-10-2008 by whitewave]

[edit on 23-10-2008 by whitewave]

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 10:28 AM
link   

LOL! I love it... I'll have to remember that one.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 02:35 AM
link   

That's friggin great...I will be sending a copy to all of my Texas friends...I may edit it and send it to my Arkansas friends and family...

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by daddymax

We've got 6 states surrounding ours. Why not edit and send it to all of them? You'll get the maximum amount of annoyance from one post that way.

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Where are my manners? I've completely overlooked a brother Boomer member: apaulo. Be sure to give him an Okie welcome and I have, of course, invited him to our Sooner site.

Trannie's been misbehaving lately and I finally had to have it completely rebuilt. Ouch! I missed out on meeting Heike last weekend because of it. My apologies, Heike. Car is fixed now so maybe we can try to get together one of these weekends? How about it fellow Okies? Heike has generously offered her large acres to congregate. Weather's cooling off. Everyone bring their favorite dish for a greet-n-eat?

U2U me and let me know if anyone would like to get together.

six

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 09:21 AM
link   
I grew up on the north west side of OKC....near Edmond.

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by six

SIX! I haven't seen you in a while. Glad you decided to join in the fun. I grew up on the NW side of OKC too but not quite as far out as Edmond. Are you still hanging your hat on the North side or are you a permanent Georgia resident?

[edit on 20-11-2008 by whitewave]

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Yup, here I am! And note that one of us Okies (yeah me) is now participating in the debate forums! I'm on my 2nd debate and have a 3rd already lined up.

My Current Debate

I'm really sorry to have missed meeting you Gwen. I'm even more disappointed about not getting the brownies, though!

Last weekend I went horseback riding with a group of friends at Lake Carl Blackwell, and this weekend I'll be down near Okemah picking up a trailer.

If anyone will be passing through the Sand Springs, Cleveland, Mannford, area please let me know and I'll try to meet up with you. (Unless of course you don't WANT to meet me).

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Heike

Yep. I'm available most weekends, Heike and I can make another bath of brownies. Last batch I made was snarfed up so quickly there was just a little trail of dust settling on the counters when I came to see if they were sufficiently cooled to eat.

I have no sense of direction but MapQuest is my friend so let me know when and where and I'll see you there.

six

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Nahhh...Unfortunatley still in GA. Grew up around 122 and May near Northpark mall. Still here, just not on as much. Life has been really busy as of late.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join