It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sooners on the board...Or oodles of okies

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I live in Terlton and have a good sized house. It's about equidistant between Tulsa and Stillwater if that helps any. Or we might need to see if there are enough people to have an Eastern group and a Western group, for meeting up.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Bombeni

I've never been to Freddie's. I'll have to try is some day since I don't live too far away in western Tulsa county.

Anyone been downtown to clubs like the Blank Slate, Exit 6C or Capalla's?

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by daddymax

You're 6'8, 360#? Another big, strappin, corn-fed, Okie lad.

I know what you mean about the all-you-can-eat places. Went to a place in Virginia Beach once that had all you can eat catfish. I can eat a mess of catfish. After the 3rd plate, the cooks were peeking out the kitchen to see who could possibly be wolfing down all that food. I bet they were a little surprised to see a height-weight proportionate girl. LOL. My husband finally said, "If you order another plate, we're going to have to put catfish on the endangered species list." LOL.

Heike, that's a generous offer. What say ye, fellow Okies? Any particular date?

Zippy, I only live about 30-45 minutes from you and there's no toll road.
*hint*

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by whitewave

I can take a hint.

Maybe we can meet for coffe or a drink sometime. Send me a u2u and we can set a date and time.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 09:28 PM
link   
I am heartbroken to report that finances are forcing me to sell 2 of my three horses, my 6yo paint mare and her 15 mo old gelded paint colt. They are going very cheap. If you have any interest, or know of anyone who might be interested, please u2u me for a complete description and information. They are good horses, the mare is broke and a great riding horse just a little strong willed and I'm a novice/insecure rider.

Thanks for any help.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 11:48 PM
link   
That's awful, Heike. I'm so sorry you have to part with your beloved animals. With the cost of gas going up are you sure that the horses aren't cheaper?

I have a friend I could ask but I know she'll want to know the price. I'll email her and see if she's interested. If she is then I'll U2U you for details.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Heike, when is a good time for you to have ATSers descend on you like an invasion?
Since it's your house you give us a date/time that's convenient for you. I'm looking forward to seeing you all there.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Any Saturday or Sunday except Oct 18 & 19 or Nov. 1, if you let me know a week or two in advance. If it's a Sunday we might be able to talk Hubby into smoking a ham.

If we wait until it's a bit cooler we could be outside or on the screened porch .. I have a porch and a patio and I'm really, really isolated out in the woods. If it rains or the weather's not good, the living room is large enough to hold 15 - 20 people if we're friendly. Here's a picture of my house:

Can we get a list of who'd like to come and organize a bit of potluck? John and I can probably do a smoked ham and beans if folks chip in a buck, and others can bring chips, pop, dessert, whatever. We'll have water, tea, and coffee. BYOB.

The house is located approx. 6 miles west of Highway 48, South of 412 and North of 51. If you mapquest or google map Terlton, OK, (74081) my house is less than 2 miles from the Terlton post office, and the Terlton "Main street," Benight Road, is the one you'll want to be on. I'll u2u or email the rest of the specific directions to those who will be attending.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 09:15 PM
link   
I'll make it a point to be there whatever weekend is decided upon. I'll bring some homemade wine.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Just wanted you folks to know(in case you missed it)

Oklahoma State over Washington State 39-13...

Looking forward to a great season

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Oh yeah...the OU Sooners won over the Chatanooga Bearcats 57-2...*OUCH*:bnghd:

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Oh yeah, the game. I make it a point to avoid driving into Norman during game days. My bank hands out little wallet-sized calendars with game days marked on them. It helps plan my week if I can avoid the traffic that's backed up for yeaaarrrrsss. And yes, We Kicked Hiney!

Computer has been down for past 5 days. Always on a holiday weekend, it seems. *sigh* Anyway, haven't heard back from anyone. (Took a while to wade through backlog of emails). Trying to find a buyer for Heike's horses. No luck. Apparently their upkeep is expensive and everyone I know is broke.

Other than eating at favorite restaurants, does anyone have a hobby or fun place they like to go? I like Robbers Cave and this place in Talihina called the Wilhemena lodge. They have THE best coffee and a view that is breathtaking. The whole area is relaxing and beautiful. There's a scenic drive that is spectacular. (Hard on brakes and clutches, though).

So what are some other favorite spots in Oklahoma?

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 08:47 AM
link   

I agree that Talihina area is great. Went camping there a few times. It's like in just a couple of minutes you are in this whole other country.

I/we used to go to that Country Buffet in Locust Grove to eat. The food is really good but that is where that e-coli outbreak happened. I hear 200 people now have been diagnosed. They have been there for many years but I doubt they will overcome this. I heard on the news this morning it is the largest e-coli infection in US history. Ouch.

I don't know many hot spots in Oklahoma The thing I like to do most is fish and prefer Grand Lake for that, but it's just another lake, nothing to write home about. The only place I can recommend is called Twin Bridges on Spring Creek in Locust Grove. It has been a popular hangout place since I was a kid; I took my own kids there often when they were little. The water is crystal clear and there is a good size area that is wading depth; lots of people cook out on the bank, someone always has a great stereo blasting, a good place for family. nothing too wild.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Yes, Locust Grove is a nice area too. I go fishing when I can but it's usually locally and often in friends ponds. Kind of kill 2 birds with 1 stone that way. Can hang out at your friends place and go fishing, too. A lot of my friends don't like going to a particular lake. Like me, they prefer to stay away from crowds.

I go to the gun range when I can. Meet some interesting people there. Unfortunately, a lot of cops hang out at gun ranges. Not really practicing, just writing down license plate numbers and taking pictures.

I like hiking, finding flora to identify, planting seeds I bring with me. (I know, I'm boring as toast). You'd be surprised what cool little hideaways there are even in your own neighborhood. I don't carry anything suspicious on me as there are a lot of paranoid people with cell phones who will call the police on anyone they don't immediately recognize and the cops will obligingly harass them even if they're not trespassing.

I like to go on little "mini trips" to areas that are close by. Usually places I drive by everyday on my way to somewhere else. Places you think you know and never give a second glance. You can meet interesting people doing interesting things. See places you didn't know existed. I usually do this on my scooter since you can drive slower without attracting too much unwanted attention. Gives me an opportunity to put things together in my conspiratorial mind. LOL. Like: we have an animal shelter right next door to a compost facility. Coincidence? Maybe.

Seriously, there are lots of things to do that don't take a lot of money. For us simple minds that are easily entertained, there's a whole state just waiting to be discovered.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Haha I liked you comment about the cops at the gun range. I never had a gun and hope I never need one. If this so-called revolution materializes though I might need to meet you at the gun range and start getting some lessons.

You sound like a real outdoors person; I used to be. I used to love love love being outside and the hotter the better but don't spend time outside like I used to. For one thing the mosquitos keep getting worse every year, and I don't know why. But next spring I am definitely getting out and bringing my gardens back to their former glory; people used to say my perennial garden was the most beautiful they had ever seen (no brag just fact) but I have let it go the past couple of years and it needs a lot of work. You got me to thinking about nice drives in the country, and if the gas goes down some I want to start doing that and get my kids to go. Arkansas is so beautiful in the fall, I would love to take a long weekend trip there. I gotta see when War Eagle Craft show is, I haven't been in 4 or 5 years. I took a 6-week quilting class 6 years ago and caught the quilting bug and that is when my problems began (lol). Everything else just sorta took a back seat but I definitely need to start getting out more.

BTW what part of Oklahoma are you in?

[edit on 3-9-2008 by Bombeni]

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 10:34 PM
link   
I'm in the Norman area. College town. Also a nut house here. So there's lots of crazies running around. I'm never sure if they're students, young people trippin' or early releases from the asylum. Kind of sad that it's that hard to tell the difference.

Mosquitos are bad this year and in more ways than one. I got bitten recently by ONE mosquito and the bite swelled up like an allergy whelp. Itched horribly for 4 days. Huge knot underneath the skin. I thought maybe I was just developing an allergy to the bites but everyone I talk to around here says the same thing. We can't all be developing allergies to the same thing in the same year. Maybe the skeeters are mutating or something.

Have gotten bitten enough times this summer with the same bad reaction that I invested in a mosquito netting suit to wear when I go outdoors. Of course, I'll blend in well with the other odd looking people and crazies around here. LOL There are a few insecticidal plants to plant around your settting area if you have one outdoors. I'll send the list to anyone interested. Those bug zappers kill just about all flying insects that are attracted to them but mosquitos are not on that list. They just aren't attracted to zappers. I have a huge spider with a huge web on my deck and I set behind him. It doesn't bother me and eats any bugs that the wind blows our way. Handy.

Kids are throwing a bday party for me this weekend. I'm officially "over the hill". They were going to get me a black cake but I threatened bodily harm.
Should be fun, though.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Well have a happy birthday. I went over the hill a year ago. Now I'm senile and won't ever be expected to remember my age again! See how that works? :w:

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 10:04 AM
link   
My son, bless his heart, tried to comfort me regarding my age. He said, "you're not old mom. women don't get old. they mature....then they turn to dust." (He's 9, btw).
Thanks for the b-day wishes.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 10:59 AM
link   

LOL.

By the way I just noticed something. Is that a can of spinach the icon guy is eating in my last post? I thought it was a bottle of whiskey. Oh well, I could use both really.

[edit on 5-9-2008 by Bombeni]

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Bombeni

whiskey and spinach. mmmmmm.

I had a lovely birthday Sunday.

My son-in-law went to the game in Norman this weekend. He said we won. I don't keep up with football games. Too violent. Not the games themselves-the after game arguments about who's better: OU or OSU. :bash: We've had near riots break out at work when some indiscreet individual wears a t-shirt to work promoting their favorite team.

I'd just like to assure everyone on this thread that they're perfectly safe here. No one can see what t-shirt you're wearing.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join