Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

NEWS: Justice Dept. Found Rumsfeld, Senior FBI Official Took Souvenirs From Sept. 11 Sites

page: 1

join

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Sectretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld and senior members of the FBI took home souvenirs from the 9/11 World Trade Center site according to a Justice Department investigation. Rumsfeld is said to have a piece of the plane that crashed into the Pentagon on his desk. Several FBI agents collected items for other dignitaries. It is even said that FBI agents cut off WTC security patches off of pieces of shirts found. Many of the families of the victims of the WTC disaster were surprised and outraged to learn the news.

Justice Found Rumsfeld, Senior FBI Official Took Souvenirs From Sept. 11 Sites
Six items - none needed as evidence - were gathered and sent to D'Amuro, the report said.

D'Amuro, now the head of the FBI's New York office, told investigators that "he asked for a piece of the building as a memento" and that he was aware that agents had taken such items from other terrorist crime scenes over the years.
The Justice Department's report has not been officially released, but heavily deleted versions of the report began circulating around Washington last month showing 13 FBI agents had taken rubble, debris and items such as flags and a Tiffany crystal globe paperweight.
The bureau announced it was banning agents from taking items from crimes scenes, but no agents were being charged with crimes because the bureau did not have such a policy during the Sept. 11 investigation.

[Edited on 3-12-2004 by worldwatcher]

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 08:32 PM
link   
hmmm...I don't know how to take this. If I was at the site after the disaster I have to admit I might've taken something as a token of that moment in history.

However, with the positions these people hold they should know better than to remove objects from a scene of a crime, regardless of whether they are needed or not.

It's nothing really to get into a spin over though.

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 08:34 PM
link   
(This is just an idea, but follow me here)

You know all the conspiracy theories that say that it wasnt a plane that hit the pentagon? Im not saying that I believe that, but if it wasnt a plane, then it would make sense to have a story like this come out.

If they have a piece of one of the planes, it draws attention away from that.

Crazy, aint it?

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 08:39 PM
link   
.....and by the way.....being there myself, I would probably have taken 'souvenirs'....

People do stuff like that all the time, although I do agree that taking evidence from a crime scene is wrong.

posted on Mar, 13 2004 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Okay, Let's say that a plane did crash into the Pentagon. Regardless, what gives Rumsfeld the right to take a piece of the plane back to his office and put it on dispay? I personally think that is just sick considering that I believe the government was the cause of 9/11. What that basically tells me is, that he now has his trophy for victory in accomplishing the 9/11 attacks. He's saying "I've suceeded" as he looks at that piece of the plane in his office. I'm sorry I just find that wrong. I would never take a piece of evidence from a crash site.

posted on Mar, 13 2004 @ 02:59 PM
link   
What if it is the opposite of that and he wants it to remind him the work still needed to be done. Not that I am saying that's it. But.. at least another way that seems more plausible then conspiracy type stuff. I mean if that's it , he looks not as bad, my guess this will be the explanation

posted on Mar, 13 2004 @ 03:46 PM
link   
When most have photo frames or beautiful rocks as conversation pieces, some of us deicde to use...pieces from blown up buildings.......

Whatever floats your boat...I would think that a photo or a cofee table book of the 9/11 disaster would serve as a good enough 'memento' but I guess it just didnt really...set in for Rumsfeld like that.

posted on Mar, 13 2004 @ 05:55 PM
link   
I can understand people taking souvenirs from places and things considered beneficial to humanity - for example pieces of the Berlin Wall (when it went down, it was definitely beneficial to the East Berliners). But this is just sick. It's like going to Auschwitz and taking one of the fecking ovens ! Still, its about what I expected from these degenerates.

posted on Mar, 13 2004 @ 07:51 PM
link   
If you had been in Pearl Harbor at the time it was hit wouldnt you have taken a piece of the arizona or something like that with you? Or for example my unkle was in Nam and he has a part of his Huey that went down, its just a thing people tend to do. And if my apartment building would colapse write now (and I would survive it) I would also take some part of it to remind me of it. I think its more a melankolic act as any other thing. I bet my dad would like a rock of the towers after living his childhood in NY.
But taking evidence of a crime seen is absolutly wrong no matter what.

top topics

join

Help ATS Recover with your Donation.
read more: Help ATS Recover With Your Contribution