It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Recriminations fly after trade talks failure

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Recriminations fly after trade talks failure

www.guardian.co.uk

India's trade minister, Kamal Nath, today accused the United States of putting the livelihoods of a billion of the world's poorest people against "commercial interests" as each country blamed the other for the acrimonious collapse of world trade talks in Geneva.

As ministers from more than 30 countries prepared to leave the World Trade Organisation's Swiss headquarters after nine fruitless and exhausting days of negotiations, the bitter atmosphere between leading players underlined fears that the WTO's Doha round could take years to revive.

Visibly angry, Nath told journalists: "The most important thing was the livelihood security, the vulnerability of poor farmers, which could not be traded off against the commercial interests of the developed countries." He said his position was supported by 100 countries, representing a billion subsistence farmers.

The talks — the latest attempt to complete the seven-year-long trade round — collapsed late yesterday, over India's insistence that developing countries must be able to protect their agricultural sector against sudden surges of subsidised imports from the US and EU.

Susan Schwab, the US trade representative, said an outline agreement drafted by WTO director general Pascal Lamy on Friday night had been, "negotiated to within an inch of its life", and, "if you pulled one thread, you threatened to unravel the whole thing".

"Every country in the room accepted it except one; subsequently, all of us showed flexibility except one," she added, in a clear jibe at India.

China, too, joined in the frenzy of finger-pointing, weighing in to support India. An editorial from the Chinese official news agency, Xinhua, lambasted the "selfishness and short-sighted behaviour" of wealthy nations for bringing down the negotiations at the 11th hour.

Less powerful developing countries also expressed concern that key developments in the talks over the past week took place among an inner core of just seven major trading powers, as Lamy battled to secure agreement.

"Mr Lamy invited around 30 ministers, and then we had just seven countries involved in the process," said a spokesman for the Indonesian delegation. "We understand that maybe at times you need to have small group meetings for detailed discussion, but when our interests are at stake they should invite us."

Some countries also expressed anger that a number of highly contentious issues, including America's controversial cotton subsidies, had not been brought to the table in Geneva. Burkina Faso's trade minister, Mamadou Sanou, warned that the cotton industry in his country faced "extinction".

"We can hardly control our anger," he said. "They wanted me to be here to negotiate on cotton. I have been here for 10 days and I haven't been able to discuss cotton. There is a risk that the whole system will collapse in our country."

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 01:54 PM
link   
OMG.

This sounds serious.

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I'm not going to bicker about what thread was where first.

Here's another article that might add interesting info.

Trade talks collapse after 7 years!

[edit on 30-7-2008 by Maxmars]

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   
[edit on 30-7-2008 by Quazga]

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Dern right this is serious! If China/US relations break down, our economies are doomed.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Quazga

No, I think your article contains more direct information regarding the attendee's positions. The NYT piece seems a bit more clinical and less focused on who was holding up the show. I don't care so much about the credit for the thread so much as the information getting to our esteemed readers.

top topics

join