It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McCain goes negative Worrying some in the GOP

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 11:47 AM
link   
McCain goes negative, worrying some in the GOP

So everyone here knows that I am pro-Obama.

However, I don't see McCains new soundbites as going horribly negative. It sounds to me like he is asking the American people what is more important to them, the war, or the election. And I think it's a very important question.

Obviously it is a campaign question designed to attract voters to him, and away from Obama. And as an Obama supporter I really don't pay much attention to it, other than the first glance. However I don't think this is McCain going negative.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Quazga

I would have to disagree with you. I think McCain has been negative and recently, has gone more so. And I think he will continue to go more negative.

His recent ads, blaming Obama for Oil prices and saying he took time to go to the gym instead of visiting injured troops... those are pretty slimy, IMO.

It's to be expected, though. Most candidates go negative. And I think it's going to hurt him.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

isnt it hilarious that the ad blaming him for playing b-ball and not visiting hte troops shows him playing b-ball with the troops?

Priceless.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Just judging from the views of the OP, and the responses so far...is it really worrying the GOP or is it really worrying the Lord Messiah Obama supporters?

One question? How can an ad be negative if it is the truth?

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Please negativity is what the Republican party is any more, where do you think all the negativity towards Obama comes from.

I would vote for Obama, way before I ever vote republican again.

I just can't believe so many here want more of the same, it truly boggles the mind.

BTW I'm NOT voting because I'm disenchanted. And both these goons are PTB sock puppets but IMHO Obama isn't as bad as McBush!!!

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Andrew E. Wiggin

isnt it hilarious that the ad blaming him for playing b-ball and not visiting hte troops shows him playing b-ball with the troops?

Priceless.

I believe he was lambasted for not visiting the wounded troops. The ad didn't say the healthy ones. Kind of hard to play b-ball when you've been wounded, wouldn't you agree?

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Quazga

While I do believe that his campaign is going negative, I don't think he has he has crossed the line where unfair (and virtually all negative campaigning is unfair) becomes disgustingly unfair. I can, however, understand why some in the Republican party would be nervous about it. While mudslinging has historically proven effective almost every time it is tried, there's always a risk of over doing it.

Still, as I noted a few days ago, this change in tone from McCain's campaign is very likely in response to recent criticism from within his own party that he has not been aggressive enough against Obama.

Honestly, I think they're doing this in order to test a belief in GOP circles that Obama has a temper, is thin-skinned and cannot take criticism...much like McCain. I think they're trying to provoke a public outburst from him, just as the Dems have unsuccessfully tried to do with McCain thus far.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative
One question? How can an ad be negative if it is the truth?

McCain's Charge Lacks Evidence

Unsubstantiated Attacks

"I have no idea except that I know that according to reports that he wanted to bring media people and cameras and his campaign staffers," McCain said.

The part about wanting to bring the media is decidedly not true. There were never any plans for Obama to "bring media people and cameras." Never.

John McCain is a Liar.

Interesting Strategy

"I think that McCain would like nothing more than to get the Obama campaign at a back-and-forth with negative ads that carries through the fall," Tracey said. "This obviously works against Sen. Obama's caricature of being a new politician."

McCain's negative strategy is keeping the focus on Obama.

By nearly 2 to 1, voters say they are paying more attention to what kind of president Obama would be than what kind of president McCain would be.

Keep the people thinking about Obama and they're not thinking about how terrible McCain would be.

[edit on 30-7-2008 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by vor78
reply to post by Quazga

While I do believe that his campaign is going negative, I don't think he has he has crossed the line where unfair (and virtually all negative campaigning is unfair) becomes disgustingly unfair. I can, however, understand why some in the Republican party would be nervous about it. While mudslinging has historically proven effective almost every time it is tried, there's always a risk of over doing it.

Still, as I noted a few days ago, this change in tone from McCain's campaign is very likely in response to recent criticism from within his own party that he has not been aggressive enough against Obama.

Honestly, I think they're doing this in order to test a belief in GOP circles that Obama has a temper, is thin-skinned and cannot take criticism...much like McCain. I think they're trying to provoke a public outburst from him, just as the Dems have unsuccessfully tried to do with McCain thus far.

They already know how to push his buttons - start digging up dirt on his wife. I predict that will start happening soon also.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by sos37

That's probably going to be one thing that happens, alright. I hate to see it go that route, but there's also absolutely no doubt in my mind that once the 527s get involved, this is going to get very, very ugly from both sides.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 12:54 PM
link   
The reason they are paying more attention to what kind of President Obama will be (2 to 1 over McCain) is because they honestly don't know who the hell Obama is or what he really represents.

From what I see, the Obama camp is worried. He should be slam dunking McCain all over the place by now. And you Obama folks know it. Admitting it is a different story. McCain has done everything possible to hand the election to him on a silver plate.
After convention time, it will all turn ugly. The GOP has to make sure that Obama is selected by his party before they hit him with everything they got. But the Dems won't be too far behind with their ugly ads as well. Obama will keep mum and let his surrogates do all the bashing. Makes him look like a new politician. Either way the election will be no different then previous elections. A lot of BS from the left, right, and center. That's why a lot of folks like myself are saying hell with both parties.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by vor78
reply to post by Quazga

Starred!

That's really what I was saying with my first post. It doesn't resonate with me as being "disgustingly unfair" either.

Now, the ads that BH posted, I haven't watched yet, so I can't speak about those specifically, I'm just talking about the article in question.

I also agree that this is probably because of the concern within the GOP that the old tactics might be their only tactics. I don't agree with that personally, as I think the "new tactics" of avoiding negative campaigning or at least limiting them in their "unfairness" as you put it, was what sealed the deal with Obama as the Democratic Nominee. At least for me.

I think that the conservatives can pull this off actually if they didn't feel so dang dependent on the evangelical vote. If they opened themselves up socially, I think they would stand a much easier chance of winning this year. I mean, think of all of the PUMAs on the fence that would be recruited overnight if McCain said "I think gays should serve openly in the military and I think that the definition of marriage is a legally binding comitted relationship between two people in the spirit of raising children steeped in values of their communities"

I don't expect this to happen, but if it did, you would be amazed at the people who would vote republican overnight. Simply because that is the key wedge issue that seperates them from a large amount of the population.

Anyway.. I've rambled enough.

Thanks again for the post vor!

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

I dunno Jam. I know that down here in Atlanta, we have just all stopped talking about it. It appears to be a forgone conclusion in this community that Obama will win. Now that is from both the right and the left.

The right feel kinda down hearted about it, many say they "don't have a horse in this race".

The left are rather non-plussed. Believing that their candidate has it in the bag, and feeling primary fatigue many just tuned it out.

So I think there is an awful lot of summer-itis going on. Maybe Obama HQ is worried, but we aren't down here.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quazga
reply to post by jam321

I dunno Jam. I know that down here in Atlanta, we have just all stopped talking about it. It appears to be a forgone conclusion in this community that Obama will win. Now that is from both the right and the left.

That's the danger that threatens any election, particularly where one party appears overconfdent that they will win. When potential voters become complacent they risk turning unresponsive when it comes election day because they believe their candidate has enough support to justify their not turning out.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 05:10 PM
link   
McCain's latest Ad where he compares Obama to Britney Spears and Paris Hilton. Niiiice!

Still think he's not going negative?

He doesn't talk about what he thinks is best, he's spending all his money talking about Obama. People can see through this, right?

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 05:17 PM
link   
BH, you and Quazga should get a room.

McCain is using Blogsphere as intel for his campaign. A smart move, because Blogsphere gets to the nuts and bolts of things without any MSM censoring or bias.

Obama is losing his "Fight the Smears" campaign. He'd be better of with something like "Embrace the Queers" to gain gay votes.

Either way, Obama certainly doesn't have the election wrapped up and never did.

[edit on 30-7-2008 by jetxnet]

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by jetxnet
BH, you and Quazga should get a room.

And you should get a clue.

But I don't have much hope for that.

He'd be better of with something like "Embrace the Queers" to gain gay votes.

Classy.

Either way, Obama certainly doesn't have the election wrapped up and never did.

I didn't say he did. Now pardon me while I go shower. I feel dirty all of a sudden.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 06:18 PM
link   

So.....hmm.

Barack Obama is liked by american citizens who are not of the political crowd (thats a watered down version of a rock star) and .. thats a bad thing?

Shouldnt Americans like their president?

Some people hate him......because....he's likable?

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Hey BH, let me know the next time you see the media clamoring to "fact check" for McCain when Obama ads start coming out. I highly doubt that they will even call Obama ads negative, because we all know only Republicans are negative.

he's spending all his money talking about Obama.

Earth to BH, Obama is McCain's opponent!

You guys are just too much.....

[edit on 30-7-2008 by Dronetek]

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I wonder if the GOP is still worried? The "negative" ads worked. McCain has his first lead in the polls.

www.rasmussenreports.com...

The Rasmussen Reports daily Presidential Tracking Poll for Monday shows the race for the White House is tied with Barack Obama and John McCain each attracting 44% of the vote. However, when "leaners" are included, it’s McCain 47% and Obama 46%.

This is the first time McCain has enjoyed even a statistically insignificant advantage of any sort since Obama clinched

Who's worried now?

The Messiah is going down!

new topics

top topics

join