It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Last I checked, this was the Skunk Works Forum - Correct?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Now, I'm not all that knowledgeable about everything. One of those things I don't know is the root of "Skunk Works". I always assumed it was be cause our methodology and research stinks? Which is to be expected when reading a forum for raw ideas, at least "possible" explanations and Way Way Out There theories. I like to think of it as the cutting edge of conspiracy theory.

So, if all that is pretty much true, it seems to me that this would not be the forum for debunkers and nay-sayers. I would think those of a more highly skeptical opinion should be posting in forums directed at the topic they contend with. I am NOT saying that they shouldn't post here at all. Their opinion in threads is essential to the ultimate establishment of what IS true. I do not, on the other hand, think this is the Forum for threads simply expressing the more conservative opinions, generally held by the public at large. We know how to NOT believe things that are strange and different to us. Here we're trying to get our heads around more unconventional ideas and theories. It's much easier to throw rocks than it is to build glass houses.

It seems to be a trend of late to initiate such conventionally oriented threads. Which in and of itself is fine by me. I'm just saying they should be in other forums (than S.W.s). Indeed, there may be a niche for a Debunker/Skeptics Forum? Here are some recent examples and where they MIGHT be more appropriately posted:

Enough of Nibiru!!! Its absolute rubbish!!!! - Aliens & UFOs

2012 Debunked - Predictions

Reptilians simply do NOT exist - New World Order

Association of Registered Sceptics Everywhere – Helping Out Less Enlightened - General Conspiracies.

Association of Registered Skeptical Spelling Checkers Everywhere - Helping Out Less Open Minds - Grammar/Spelling Police Forum

Cheers
-v

BTW - I am retarded and upheld the Skunk Works tradition of not researching my subject matter - I haven't read even one of the above threads.

[edit on 7/30/2008 by verbal kint]

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 08:11 AM
link   
I believe the term "Skunk Works" was originally used for black projects at Lockheed Martin. Don't quote me.

I do think it is a useful forum, as is the new "Gray Area." The problem is that people still troll and flame even when the stated purposes are far-out theories and personal experiences.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by verbal kint

skunk works is for topics that there is not as much "evidence" to support.

"Spelling Checkers Everywhere". these people are the ones that assume they are more intelligent than you. and when you prove them wrong or have overwhelming evidence that goes against their beliefs, they use your spelling to make themselves right. at least in their mind.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

i think you are right.

im not sure about lockhead. but the name was used for "top secret" air craft.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack
I believe the term "Skunk Works" was originally used for black projects at Lockheed Martin. Don't quote me.

Quoted for truth.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 08:47 AM
link   
I guess I should have read the "Association of Registered..." thread. Funny stuff. Of course I'd missed the Acronym completely (This is assuming the thread is somewhat sarcastic).

DaleGribble
I am however sticking with the Spelling Police. Typos happen. Mistakes happen. In fact, I'm a TERRIBLE speller. Which is why I have a dictionary. That squiggly (had to look that one up), little, red line that appears under words when they're misspelled helps a bit too. Lastly, I'm fairly certain your theory is backwards. When people (with or without a superior attitude) are confronted by another who is expressing their belief in their own superiority, THAT is when spelling errors are pointed out. i.e. Highlighting a simple, avoidable error that one would think a superior person would be too good/superior to make. Especially, for instance, in the title of a thread.

[edit on 7/30/2008 by verbal kint]

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 08:56 AM
link   

well what ever the reason, if its not a mix of both. its a stupid argueing point. when words are spelled wrong, most people can still read them and get the point. and if it were an oral debate it would not be an issue...

edit to add: im a crapy speller as well and i rarely use spell check. and for those of you that cant stand it. too d@mn bad

[edit on 15amu82007 by DaleGribble]

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I can't comment on the reason for why this thread was called Skunkworks specifically while the Aviation forum is just Aviation Projects but yeah the logo used on this thread folder and the name did originate from Lockheed Martin. The organization was created in 1943 and was a place for the highest level projects the company worked on and was the brightest minds of there day.

So to say that this forum is for just crappy spelled half researched ideas isn't at all what the name implies and if thats what ATS wants this forum to be well thats another issue

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 12:37 PM
link   
IMO Skunk Works is a dumping ground for threads by mods.

If a mod "thinks" your thread meets the criteria to be shuffled off to Skunk Works then off it goes.....usually to die.

I hate the Skunk Works forum. it is a glorified trash bin.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Maybe if everyone would read the forum description at the top of the page, you would get a better idea what Skunkworks is about on ATS.

This forum is dedicated to the all-important highly speculative topics that may not be substantiated by many, if any facts and span the spectrum of topics discussed on ATS. Readers and users should be aware that extreme theories without corroboration are embraced in this forum. Discussion topics and follow-up responses in this forum will likely tend to lean in favor of conspiracies, scandals, and cover-ups. Members who would seek to refute such theories should be mindful of AboveTopSecret.com's tradition of focusing on conspiracy theory, cover-ups, and scandals.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by sensfan

Thank you sensfan. I thought that forum definition was well disseminated (had to look that one up too) information. Maybe not. Anyway, with that working definition, should the threads like the ones I mentioned be moved? I know "Skunk Works"'s origin is interesting, but I really was seeking feedback on the other point... ?

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 04:51 PM
link   

I feel the reason a lot of these type of threads are here in Skunk is because that is where a lot of these topics are discussed so are directed at the appropriate target audience. Would you discuss Bigfoot in CiR for instance?
I could ask why did you post here and not in rant?

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by VIKINGANT

If I were all emotional about it - such that I'd rant, I would have posted this thread in this forum "rant" - However, Im not aware that such a forum exists? Enlighten me.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Sorry, My post may have come across a little more aggressive than intended….It was just my answer to the questions you asked.
I do get your point though. It seems like Skunk is becoming a conspirital chit chat type forum.
FYI. Rant is a BTS forum.

new topics

top topics

join