It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant chunks break off Canadian ice shelf

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 06:25 AM
link   

OTTAWA - Giant sheets of ice totaling almost eight square miles broke off an ice shelf in the Canadian Arctic last week and more could follow later this year, scientists said on Tuesday.

In a development consistent with climate change theories, the enormous icy plain broke free sometime last week and began slowly drifting into the Arctic Ocean. The piece had been a part of the shelf for 3,000 years.

Okay couple things:

Damn thats big. And they are expecting a whole lot more to come off before the summer is done.

And, i know hate me, but did they say 3,000 years it has been there ... maybe 3,600 years? What else do i think happened back then..(orliptical orbit)

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 06:34 AM
link   
I have been thinking about this ,may be a smarter person than I can answer my
question.

The earth rotates and wobbles
I was wondering if the ice starts coming apart and migrating south

what happens to the wobble and or rotation of the earth, as this counter weight is redistributed elsewhere?

will the momentum of the force in the wobble and rotation change
and how radical a change if any can we expect when all the counter weight of the ice is gone?

Please stop playing with HAARP !

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by solo1

No i don't think that the ice would effect the rotion of the earth. Winter will always come and ice will always be on the north and south.
What you have to wonder then, is will the north and south stay where they are now? Crazy i know, but i just like the abstract ideas.
Jupiter is heating up 3x's faster then us, and they don't have SUV's.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 08:21 AM
link   
good spot budd first and foremost, this post really ties in to a previous post that scientists and polar experts had warned that the north pole has a 50% likelihood of actually not having ice this summer, im sure its in the archive check it out. and now thisit says only one thing to me- climate change- pshh nothing but a cover name for a much bigger event, when theres a critical mass of ice released from the poles it can affect the earths rotatin and precession(wobble) there is a hell of a lot of strong evidence that events like these in conjuntion with earth changes can cause polar shift, theres evidence of this happening in the past over the entire earth in its geology. must say its very unnerving. plus no-one seems to mention the ramifications of these vast swathes of ancient ice shelf released to open ocean and being melted, that would no doubt cause an undeniable increase in ocean levels. please do keep up the good work, invaluable information

peace and love

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 08:28 AM
link   
How could the ice on the poles affect the rotation of the Earth? Isn't that as if I wouldn't be able to walk straight when I have shampoo in my hair? What's the ratio of weight of the ice and the Earth in total?

And btw... The ice on Antarctica has been growing all along because of the continent becoming colder at least in the last 30 years.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheBandit795
How could the ice on the poles affect the rotation of the Earth? Isn't that as if I wouldn't be able to walk straight when I have shampoo in my hair? What's the ratio of weight of the ice and the Earth in total?

And btw... The ice on Antarctica has been growing all along because of the continent becoming colder at least in the last 30 years.

I agree with the shampoo idea, good point. But not the Antartica ice stuuf. In fact they are losing 9 cubic miles of ice a year up there since 1999. So maybe the last 30 untill 99'

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 06:13 PM
link   
There goin fast-

top topics

join