It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Schedules News Briefing About Unusual Solar Object

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Could this object be...PLANET-X?

The discovery of a mysterious object in our solar system is the topic of a listen-and-log-on news briefing on Monday, March 15, at 1 p.m. EST.

www.nasa.gov...

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 07:05 PM
link   
I dont think so. I think that it is just that it has the distinction of being the furthest object from the sun ever imaged. If they had found another planet in our solar system, I doubt that they would wait so long to announce it.

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 07:16 PM
link   
there's another thread on this already, but wouldn't it be ironic if it is Hubble that discovered the new object?

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Wow, that would be so strange timing wise if they announce that they found the 10th planet. Planet X

The planetary body that makes Pluto wobble.

Something wierd is brewing, I can feel it.

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 07:45 PM
link   
not wanting to disprove this already but they already discovered a 10th planet. Not many people were aware of it at the time. A group of Venezualan astronomers found it. Since they found it they got to name it. They named it Jullia or Julla after a native tribe's rain god

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 09:55 PM
link   
From what i\I remember from astronomy there are many objects on the outside of outside of Pluto/Charon and they're called Keiper(sp?) Belt Objects and Pluto should be considered one of those not a planet.

Why do we have to wait till Monday for an "official briefing"??????? I want to know now!!! No need for the wait, unless it is something disturbing and they(not NASA but the gov't) want us to have a worry free weekend, there is no need to wait till some stupid press conference.

I have an extremly negative opinion about NASA and how they do things, primarily how they have handled the shuttle program. They have risked many innocent lives and sacrificed/killed 14 of the world's finest. They dont learn the lesson, the big decision makers are ignorant with the vital details of the missions and are more concerned about $$$ and looking good when they shouldnt feel good about mistakes they make. Every human makes mistakes and the good ones accept fault, learn, and improve from them. There are many qualified and capable folks working there but the majority of them get stuck in middle management because they are not in touch with the "office politics" that rule every big work place. To put it another way less qualified and more greedy persons are getting the more powerful higher paying jobs. Not everyone in high places is corrupt but way too many are. Shooting people into orbit, exploring our solar system, and trying to figure the mysterious but oh so practical universe should be our greatest achievement but sadly NASA has shown us how boring yet still misleading and scandelous our species is.

Sorry for the rant but growing up being supported by the space program I feel like I have to voice my opinion about it. I just wish that more people involved did their job with at least as much commitment and passion as they have in pursuit of personal gatification(sex, money, power,drugs, ect...) Back to the topic.

I am very intrigued about the possibly learning something new about a mysterious object in our solar sytstem and I pray that it is something exceptional in a good way or uneventful than well you know and if you dont be happy that you are not worried about it.

[Edited on 12-3-2004 by jrod]

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Has anyone read Arthur C. Clarke's Rama Series?

Could be the time has come!

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 10:34 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 13 2004 @ 12:53 AM
link   
i loved the rama series read all three books...

it was sad how the structure of the citizens within rama turned out though...

i would have to say in all honesty that C. Clark is one of the greatest prophets that have been allowed to express within "our" time...

posted on Mar, 13 2004 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Solar Object where is it?
If there was a drug that you think the end of the world has about to happen what would happen? I would take it and think I could have a good time and die doing what I love

i wish i had an infinite supply of books worth the time of reading.

posted on Mar, 13 2004 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by waveracer
not wanting to disprove this already but they already discovered a 10th planet. Not many people were aware of it at the time. A group of Venezualan astronomers found it. Since they found it they got to name it. They named it Jullia or Julla after a native tribe's rain god

I hope you're referring to the largest planetoid discovered because I can't find anything on Venezualan astronomers discovering a 10th planet. The largest planetoid (not planet) was discovered Feb, 17th of this year by astronomers in Hawaii.

A giant object was discovered last Monday, February 17, lurking in the far reaches of the solar system. If preliminary estimates prove true, the new body, known as 2004DW, is a full 1400 kilometers in diameter. This would make it the largest body found in the solar system since Clyde Tombaugh discovered Pluto 74 years ago.

2004DW as seen from the Samuel Oschin Telescope at Mount Palomar Obseratory.
Credit: Caltech and Chad Trujillo
2004DW is a Kuiper Belt Object (KBO), meaning that it is one of millions of space rocks orbiting the Sun in the vicinity of Pluto and beyond. Most KBO�s are small icy rocks, no more than a few kilometers across, but several are much larger: Pluto itself, with a diameter of 2300 kilometers, is a KBO, as is Pluto�s moon, Charon, at 1300 kilometers across. Quaoar, the next largest, is 1250 kilometers across, and there are at least two other KBO's with a diameter of around 900 kilometers.

www.planetary.org...

Nevertheless, I don't think this announcement will be anything earth-shattering. It will probably be some new massive planetoid they have discovered or a nice large comet or asteroid.

[Edited on 3-13-2004 by EmbryonicEssence]

posted on Mar, 13 2004 @ 03:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by jrod
I have an extremly negative opinion about NASA and how they do things, primarily how they have handled the shuttle program. They have risked many innocent lives and sacrificed/killed 14 of the world's finest. They dont learn the lesson, the big decision makers are ignorant with the vital details of the missions and are more concerned about $$$ and looking good when they shouldnt feel good about mistakes they make. Every human makes mistakes and the good ones accept fault, learn, and improve from them. There are many qualified and capable folks working there but the majority of them get stuck in middle management because they are not in touch with the "office politics" that rule every big work place. To put it another way less qualified and more greedy persons are getting the more powerful higher paying jobs. Not everyone in high places is corrupt but way too many are. Shooting people into orbit, exploring our solar system, and trying to figure the mysterious but oh so practical universe should be our greatest achievement but sadly NASA has shown us how boring yet still misleading and scandelous our species is.

[Edited on 12-3-2004 by jrod]

Well, when you have machines with over a million working parts, something is bound to happen. I'm not supporting NASA and it's use of the same old hardware for so long but I do know that because of NASA we have had a lot of nice innovations that we have been able to use here on earth (although innovations are few and far between now, if any). NASA should have had a replacement for the shuttles a decade ago. They were working on a new spacecraft and they scrapped it for some reason or another. They spent hundreds of millions on it and we didn't see anything come of it - just wasted taxpayers money (as always) that could have been used for something terrestrial. Maybe they have something better? Maybe (probably not, they'll continue to use those inefficient spacecraft for years to come), but I wouldn't keep my fingers crossed.

It's easier to stick to old technology (even though its more costly) then it is to innovate with the new technology. I still think the products we put into space cost wayyy too much money. If you give people a practically unlimited budget they always seem to use all the money, even if it all didn't go toward the final product (probably 70% of it didn't touch the final product - sure you have employee salaries to pay, but I'd think that would be separate from the technology budget). I think they should be given limited budgets and make do with every scrap they get - they would probably make more innovations that way because they would HAVE to find cheaper ways to do things. When you have all the money in the world, why bother to make things efficient?

posted on Mar, 13 2004 @ 03:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by foolishbeing
i loved the rama series read all three books...

it was sad how the structure of the citizens within rama turned out though...

i would have to say in all honesty that C. Clark is one of the greatest prophets that have been allowed to express within "our" time...

There were four books.
Rendezvous with Rama, Rama II, The Garden of Rama, and Rama Revealed. They were all a pretty good read, although the first one was probably the best. The last three were good, but not great, only because Gentry Lee had so many stereotypes going on in the writing - Arthur C. Clarke didn't actually write those, he was just a collaborator (from what I recall). Many great ideas are in the books though. I recommend them.

posted on Mar, 13 2004 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by EmbryonicEssence
I hope you're referring to the largest planetoid discovered because I can't find anything on Venezualan astronomers discovering a 10th planet. The largest planetoid (not planet) was discovered Feb, 17th of this year by astronomers in Hawaii.
\

Found these for you

www.100megsfree4.com...
www.planetary.org...
www.yale.edu...

Wasn't actually "venezuelans" that discovered it, they were using a telescope in Venezuela

"Yale astronomers have discovered a new minor planet measuring about 400 miles in diameter and located between Neptune and Pluto in the outer rim of the solar system. "

posted on Mar, 13 2004 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Yale astronomers spot new planet
Yale astronomers have discovered a new minor planet measuring about 400 miles in diameter and located between Neptune and Pluto in the outer rim of the solar system.

Doesn't say anything about a 10th planet.

And the other "minor planets" are still not as massive as Quaoar. Oh well, good find though.

www.yale.edu...

posted on Mar, 13 2004 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Well using what nasa has done over the years the most they will discuss is if they found an MYTPIQWD200DG

posted on Mar, 13 2004 @ 04:23 PM
link   
So what is an MYTPIQWD200DG?

posted on Mar, 13 2004 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Well it means nothing. NASA will most likly give you information nobody cares about or knows about.

posted on Mar, 13 2004 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Ah, I probably should have caught that, lol. I knew it looked like a bunch of gibberish (which is what NASA preaches most of the time). But I also thought it could have been some sort of location for an object, a crazy codename, etc... I guess I should give Ockham's Razor a whirl.

posted on Mar, 13 2004 @ 11:45 PM
link   
im calling a bluff, if there was something headed towards earth, the many many independent astronomers would have leaked it.
bottom line
if and when it gets close enough to see, prepare, because death is in your future, i dont care who is 'controling' it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join