It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Barack Obama does not give birthday presents to children

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Wow... I don't get any christmas presents... 5 billion other people on this world doesn't get any christmas presents.

Personally, I don't want any presents from my parents because I like saving money just as much as them. I give them presents because they fed me for a whole year.

Children are spoiled nowadays... those people who thinks that it isn't ok to not give christmas presents are even more spoiled.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ismail
I do not grasp what this has to do with the man's political abilities. To me, a non american, it's like Clinton getting it off with Monica. A load of nonsense. Who cares ?
Maybe if america started paying less attention to candidates private lives, and spent more in political reflection...

Exactly. It's become more about public personna and tabloid-like perusals of their personal lives than anything even barely resembling their stance on true politics and Real issues. Personally, I don't care if a given candidate doesn't give his wife flowers on their anniversary or doesn't give their kids birthday presents. Hell, I don't even care if they would rather conduct business from their office in boxers.

These type non-issue "mentions" are little more than distractions from the Real Issues, which seem to be finding themselves wisked further and further under the carpet of political rhetoric.

What does Obama giving or not giving his kids birthday presents have to do with his, or any other candidates, ability to govern/guide/lead this nation?

Not a damn thing.

Carry on, to those who will.

[edit on 30-7-2008 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

What I find disturbing about this topic is not so much the subject, which any mentally sane human being should laugh at, it's the fact that the thread instigator sincerely believes this has something to do with politics.

Public and private life have no place together in the same bag. Talking about a politician's private life has as much to do with politics as a plumbers private life has to do with plumbing. He can be a good father to his kids, but bloody awfull at sealing joints.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Ismail

Your politics are reflected in your public life. It may not be an election
deciding issue, but for those on the fence, it does give greater insight into his personality, beliefs, which in turn, partially at least, inform his policy decisions. OK? Cool...

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Do the Obamas at least give them presents on Ramadan?

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by EverythingYouDespise
Do the Obamas at least give them presents on Ramadan?

Nice hit and run, albeit WRONG, post. Ramadan has nothing to do with "presents".

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

Originally posted by WhatTheory
I think it's just another piece of the puzzle which shows he is NOT a Catholic like he claims. That is all.

He's Catholic? I thought he was United. Isn't that Protestant? Like every other president with the exception of JFK?

Yeah. But its not very conservative to speak in truthful tongues.

Obama clears up any "confusion" on his religion

I've been to the same church.....the same Christian church....for almost 20 years

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Wow! I'm a good old American boy living in the south, and I decided years ago to tell my friends that I do not wish to receive Christmas gifts or birthday gifts. If I want something, I'll buy it myself. I enjoy the fellowship of my friends on these days, and that seems like it is enough without having them put a dollar value on their love and respect for me. I give token presents for both days to my friends (except the one guy who thinks I'm crazy, he gets me stuff whether I want it or not, therefor, I am guilt-tripped into getting him stuff). I also started fasting on Thanksgiving the past few years. I just find the senseless over-consumption to be, well, senseless. A personal choice, that's all. Lets be reasonable and remember that Christmas as a gift-giving day was ginned up by retailers back in the day in order to boost their bottom line in the last quarter, which was traditionally a slow time for sales due to the fact that people were spending money on necessities like food and heat during the dead of winter instead of frivolous goods.

Aside from that, why can't anyone in here start a thread about Obama's policy issues instead of this anecdotal bilge which should have no influence on whether or not you prefer candidate A to candidate B?

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Obama doesn't give his kids birthday/Christmas gifts?!? Well crap... I was going to vote for him, but now that this saucy bit of news has come forth, there's no way in hell. No blue-blooded, God-fearing, steak-eating American brother of mine would deny their children the joys of material goods! From this point forward, I am endorsing yon Geriatric. McCain 08!

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Obama Witnesses are allowed to give presents but with certain constraints. You can read more about it in the "Book of Obama".

Your presents are double-taxed, but only 20%.

The tax money goes to poor people in Kenya and Indonesia so they can share Christmas and Birthday presents.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 07:03 PM
link   
You guys can argue all you want that this isn't politically important and I agree for the most part. It is pretty damn wierd though, isn't it? We have a presidential candidate that really wouldn't fit in with 90% of the country, if not more.

Look back at the last several presidents. Bush II, Clinton, Bush I, Reagan. I could picture any of these guys hanging at a family BBQ and fitting right in. The more I hear about Obama...the more he sounds like he wouldn't be caught dead in a situation like this.

This is probably the best way to fight an obama presidency. Slowly release tidbits about his life that show just how much of an oddball he is. By the election, a good portion of the population is going to be able to relate to him about as much as to a green skinned alien with antennas. There's obviously a group of die hard Obama fans that will vote for him regardless of what comes out, but we all know that independents decide the election.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 07:17 PM
link   
perhaps when you post something like this you should include the full quote - as the Obama's do have a reason for why they do not give their children xmas presents. Apparently they already get tons of crap from family and friends, not to mention they already have everything they could ever want so they avoid giving them xmas presents to try to keep them a little more grounded. They still celebrate xmas and they still allow others to give their children gifts etc.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Okay, I guess I'm the green-skinned alien, then. Seriously, Do you really want a guy you feel comfy hanging at a back-yard BBQ with running things? Is that the criterion? Personally, most of the folks I would hang with, I would not want running the show, in the grand scheme of things. They're nice enough, but I wouldn't want to hand them the reigns. Look where that got us with Bush! Everyone thought he was the "man of the people", and would gladly have a beer with the guy. Well, turns out the guy you would like to have a beer with is not necessarily the right guy to run the show. Why is the "common man" so afraid of having an intelligent, eloquent man with a high level of education be the president?

Green-skinned alien guy here thinks we should pick our leaders by the level of intellect they exhibit. I had a great experience watching Obama's speach in Berlin the other day. I then went and found out what McCain did the same day. After watching Obama's eloquent, if somewhat vague speech, I was treated to a video of McCain outside a German restaurant in Pennsylvania, picking his teeth while the cameras rolled. He looked like a total moron, lacking anything approximating class or leadership. Watch the two videos and see the difference for yourself. I'll find a link now...
www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 30-7-2008 by drumist69]

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 08:12 PM
link   
People call Obama elitist, among other things. And here they are fearful and angry that the man had not embraced materialism to its fullest extent. In that sense, Obama definitely is un-American.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 08:14 PM
link   

And here they are fearful and angry that the man had not embraced materialism to its fullest extent

Can an elitist not be into materialistic things?

Obama lives in a mansion and makes over 4 million$ per year. No, he is neither an elitist snob or materialistic.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Aw crap.....I guess we can kiss any more "economic incentive packages" bye bye......

That's all I have to say about that.....

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by jetxnet

And here they are fearful and angry that the man had not embraced materialism to its fullest extent

Can an elitist not be into materialistic things?

Obama lives in a mansion and makes over 4 million$ per year. No, he is neither an elitist snob or materialistic.

I don't understand what you mean to say here? Can you clarify for me, please?

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Sure, you stated Obama wasn't materialistic or "embracing it to the full extent".

I said, no, he just makes 4 million$ per year and lives in a Mansion. Not to mention, he grew up with his "typical" rich White banker grandparents in Hawaii.

Fact is, he is materialistic or certainly no less than any other person making over 200K per year.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Maybe he donates money to a charity instead. My family does this at times, since really in America Christmas is year round purchasing wise...why not spread the wealth? This maybe the reason, I mean he is a very wealthy person.

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by yellowcard

Charity, yeah Obama donates to charity alright !

He takes the money that his friends, like Tony Rezko, get from extortion and kickbacks and contribute to his campaign and donates that to charity to try to clean his slate. With friends and business associates like that is it any wonder that he's a wealthy man.

[edit on 31/7/08 by chise61]

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join