It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Barack Obama does not give birthday presents to children

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Barack Obama does not give birthday presents to children

www.t elegraph.co.uk

In a magazine interview Obama and his wife Michelle revealed that one of their steadfast house rules is not giving Christmas or birthday presents to Malia, 10, and Sasha, seven.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Look, I realize some might say, 'so what' but I do find it a little strange that they don't believe in giving their kids Christmas or birthday presents.

Is this just another insight of many which show that Obama is hiding his true beliefs or at the least that he is not in touch with main stream America?

What are your thoughts?
Is it a big deal or does it mean nothing?

www.t elegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 29-7-2008 by WhatTheory]

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 12:04 AM
link   
First of all, I don't think he is hiding anything I mean he just told this in an interview. I'm sure he is going to keep a few things away from the public like that pack of bubble gum he stole when he was 7 and what he ate for breakfast this morning but nothing big.

And as for not getting presents on Christmas or their birthdays well their dad is a senator so I'm sure they get a few things in between. It would be nice to get a little bit more of an explanation for these things because they are a bit strange but it's really not all that important. Presents do take away from the true meaning of Christmas I guess, if your into that sort of thing.

+5 more 
posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 12:10 AM
link   
the only that suggests to me is that he and his wife are wise people that do not believe in spoiling or raising their kids like most spoiled American kids are
they don't want their girls to dress like trollops at 13 wearing make up and
doing crack coc aine and sleeping with all the boys

if thats unAmerican I believe it may be but it is a moral outlook

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 12:11 AM
link   
It sounds like something Jehovah's do. From what little I found out from a co-worker who was a "witness" they don't celebrate holidays or birthdays. So which is it? Is he a muslim like so many try to claim, or is this lack of gift giving proof that he's a witness? Can't have it both ways.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 12:12 AM
link   
I've always thought presents spoil the whole idea of Christmas and birthdays. I enjoy spending time with my family more than getting something I'll most likely only use a handful of times. I would like to know why you feel raising your kids to love you based on how many presents you give them is better than teaching them to appreciate things in life that have true value like friends and family.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Stories like this, and the posters here that prop them, are every indication that we are going down soon. Such a lull in doom threads and a rise of slap-nanny news tib-bits such is all the warning we need: let the bombing begin....

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by WhatTheory

I think they are probably well taken care of and probably receive more than their share of material goods. I find it strange that someone may take issue with any value they do not understand.

I have a co-worker who is a Jehovah Witness. No birthday or Christmas celebration there. He is a very decent, good-moraled individual.

Is my co-worker out of touch with America? Or just your beliefs? Is intolerance of other people's ideals and traditions "mainstream?"

Are you only going to support a candidate who is:

White?
Male?
Christian?
Fast-food loving?
Football-watching?
Flag-pin wearing?
Christmas gift giving?

I think the majority, the mainstream, of America is looking for something more substantive in a candidate than someone who fits into a WASP mold. If we haven't gotten that far as a society by now, we are truly screwed-up.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Nor do many thousands of Native Americans give xmas gifts because it's not their celebration. Does that make them bad, as you are implying?

I don't do Easter with my kids, niether egg hunts nor church attendance, it's not our religion. Does that make me bad, that I am American yet don't celebrate an American religious tradition?

Go ahead and spit out just what you ARE implying OP, which I see as you referring that devout Muslims, even in Amercia, don't do xmas, ergo, Obama is Muslim. That IS what you are going for ........ isn't it.

Don't get me wrong, I don't support Obama, nor do I support McCain - I don't support anydamnbody becasue they all suck. I doubt I even vote, as it's juuuust not going to matter, the gov will have placed, somehow, the man the gov wants.

[edit on 30/7/08 by Misfit]

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Okay, it's official. I spend way too much time composing my thoughts. In the time I posted, every single one of my thoughts was reinforced by other posters.

It is good to see that there are others who can look beyond this nonsense.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 12:35 AM
link   
even communists giv birthday presents. this is disturbing. and all you out there saying "oh xmas isn't about presents anyway, and i'm sure the kids aren't spoiled" are clearly victims of mindcontrol.

to me, this indicates a brand of false righteousness that is so dangerous b/c it is so utterly boring. VERY MUCH like '7th Day' and 'Witnesses'. they are the most boring, drab people on the planet. i think obama wouldn't know a good time if it bit him on the arse.

this is the worst obama news i've heard yet. i think santa clause is going to take him out

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 12:40 AM
link   
I have been keeping quiet about this crap spreading crap from 1 candidate to another..

I have 1 question..

Who really gives a flying FK.. Really..

I see it this way.. It isn't like these guys will actually do anything to help you people whining about whose tooth is in the wrong spot, or who ain't giving presents on xmas, or who's asses this guy kisses and didn't.. I don't understand it.. You people make it look like this big issue..

So tf what he ain't giving presents.. shouldn't you be worried about a bit more pressing issues.. I dunno say Iraq, Iran, the loss of freedoms.. Just a few to name..

Next time you people run a list of stupid crap these guys do remember this..

They can give a crap less on what you think or don't think.. And besides you vote don't count anyway.. Or didn't you catch that in the last 2 elections.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 01:24 AM
link   
I think with the way the economy is, that many more people will not be exchanging gifts with their family this year (possibly the coming years).

That's not such a bad thing, IMO, perhaps people will re-learn the value of simply spending time enjoying a celebration with family and friends they love. I'm hopeful of that, since it seems many of us have lost our appreciation for the simple and real things that matter in life.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Forgive me this is my first post so I dont want to offend anyone but I have to wonder how many of you even read it. His kids clearly are not doing without, and I after reading the article It sounds like to me that he is trying to give his girls a sense of values. We as Americans dont raise our kids like we were raised because society has evolved? and wont let us anymore, ourselves and our children are lazy. I applaud him, as a Christian, Muslim, Athiest, or whatever the hell he is.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 02:19 AM
link   
lol ohhh noo! he doesnt give christmas presents! burn him! freak!
Yes,really...its just a silly thing to say is right or wrong..

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 02:30 AM
link   
Giving Christmas presents is a Christian thing and has been for hundreds of years.

Obama isn't Christian, so he would not be inclined to do so.

Michelle isn't Chrisitian either. They'll both tell you they are, but obviously by this and other several poiinters to the contrary, they are not.

Great Avitar amd so true.

[edit on 30-7-2008 by jetxnet]

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 02:36 AM
link   
Let me explain why this matters at all to some of us. Taken by itself, it wouldn't mean squat. It's just a single drop of rain on a parched tract of land. However, we're not dealing with this by itself, we're dealing with a deluge of little drops of water alongside intermitant downpours when you actually look at his policies and ideas. Take all that falling water together and suddenly our little tract of land is flooded and we're standing on the roof waving at FEMA choppers.

Exactly what was predicted by none other than Bill Clinton (in a roundabout way) is coming to pass. I see it in my day to day life, actually. I removed a "Volunteer for change!" Barack Obama flier from my windowshield this evening, wadded it up and tossed it into a garbage can in the park and ride lot I use. Some heinously f'ugly chick who had an armload of them and was still tagging cars with them asked me why I did that and if I was going to support change. I told her (nicely, believe it or not) that I had no intention of voting for Obama because his ideas do not represent the direction I feel we should be going in. I was called a racist and told that I was against him because he's black...

This very thread has a couple examples of this same bullcrap, divert attention from the real issues rhetoric in it. Shut your damn mouths for just a moment, Obama people, and use your brains... think hard and think clearly "might there be a legitimate (at least to them) reason a person is against Obama for president? Is it possible that the fact he's got issues that people disagree with might mean far more than the color of his skin, the fact that he (genetically speaking) has testicles, and he's from a background other than CHristian?" I could give two flying whoops if he was white, black, yellow, maroon, or green... Christian, Muslim, or Jew... wore flag pins, Bozo the Clown shoes, or Groucho Marx glasses... IF I thought he would actually make this country better, more powerfull, and my wallet fuller. The problem is I can't see him doing any of those things, so suddenly the little issues seem like just more nails in the coffin.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 03:07 AM
link   
It's funny because when you tell an Obama's Witness that you oppose him for POTUS, they look at you with that "Deer in the Headlights" look like you're just part of the evil Bush empire or something.

They're in every state now, look for them to knock on your door soon or put a flyer on your car.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 03:25 AM
link   
I wonder how he feels about hiding those Easter-Jesus-Bunny-Thing eggs?
If he doesn't hide eggs from the Holy rabbit then yes...I say we have a problem here.

Bush loves the Bunny and that makes me feel safe.

I already know McCain loves the Easter bunny by extension because he loves Bush.

Yes lets focus on the trivial stuff, and not any serious issues. Lets focus on who gives out X-mas gifts not who will clean up the mess this administration made...or worse which will follow in its footsteps.

Tell ya what...if Obama doesn't payout for the tooth-fairy I say we march on the streets of Washington D.C.!!!

- Lee

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 03:51 AM
link   
It could be a big deal, or it could be nothing at all. It may mean that he is in fact hiding the fact that he follows a different religion. The lack of gift giving hints at a religious reason behind it.

Jehova witnesses don't give christmas, or birthday gifts as it against their religion.

I think we can all agree that Muslims don't celebrate Christmas. There seem to be mixed beliefs on celebrating birthdays in the muslim religion. It seems to be alright if they celebrate it in the sense of giving thanks, but not for making it personal and placing the importance on the person. Some believe that they may give gifts if they do it before or after the birthday, so it's just a gift, not a "birthday gift", but there are different sects, so there are different beliefs, depending on their interpretation.

Had he not condradicted himself in the article, i would not be so inclined to lean toward it being a religious thing, but the reason he gave , which i perceive as a contradiction, now has me leaning toward a religious reason behind it.

He said that he doesn't give them birthday and Christmas presents (just scattered presents throughout the year) because he wants to "set limits" for them, however if this was the case he wouldn't be spending "hunderds" of dollars on birthday sleepovers. He also wouldn't be giving them presents throughout the year. Sorry just doesn't smell right to me.

[edit on 30/7/08 by chise61]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join