It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Female Self Defense

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Hi All,

I did a search but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for so any help would be appreciated.

I want to know everyone's opinion on what the best method is for self defense. I am female, 20s, average physical condition (regular workouts, regular cardio), slightly above average strength. I accept the fact that I am not a ninja and could never fight off a man with my bare hands, so I ask you all about which sort of weapon would be best for me.

I live in Canada so I can't carry a firearm, taser, or pepper spray. Yes, I'm practically defenseless against people who disregard the law. So are there any other weapons besides a knife that I'm unaware of that will not be conspicuous, will fit easily into a small purse or pants pocket, and will be effective against a male attacker who is either unarmed or armed with a non-firearm weapon? I would most likely be defending against a mugger, drunk, bum, or sexual attacker.

If a knife is my best option, which kinds do you recommend? What would be the best way to carry it?

Thanks in advance!

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 12:36 AM
link   
There are other options for you other than a weapon.

Krav Maga is a great course. It is taught to many women, and they can hold their own against attackers. This is a brutal martial art, and is designed solely for survival of life and death situations.

I personally think training like this is first in line in defense. It teaches how to defend against a knife or gun. I personally am interested in it, because I travel to other countries often.

Good Luck!

Sorry, I don't have any knife recommendations. But, anything that you can get comfortable with, and makes you feel safer is a plus!

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 12:40 AM
link   
As a woman who does take martial arts, half of survival consists of environmental awareness. Always know what's around you. It takes training but becomes second nature after awhile.

For a subtle art form that doesn't rely on strength, heavy hitting, high kicking, or other flashy movements, try to find a Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu group.

I live in Vancouver where there are numerous classes.. and there should be a fair number in the major centres as well..

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 01:00 AM
link   
There are many things that you can do in a hand to hand situation if you know how to exploit how the body works with thumb locks, arm locks, pressur points, etc. Unfortunately those take time to learn and lots of practice to be fully effective. In a bad situation you don't want to contain them or spend a long time in full fight.

So quick hit and get away points in no real order.

1) Knees. If you kick a knee hard enough to make it bend the other way, he will not be able to run and keep up you.

2) Clap. Takes two free hands. But if you attempt to clap you hands together with enough force that it would bruise them and just so happen to have his ears in the way when you do...ruptured eardrum. Very painful and should let the guy know that you are not an easy target.

3) Keys. Said in a million self defense courses. Effective...meh, but interlaced between your fingers and strong punch to the adam's apple MIGHT get his attention. Alternatively, holding your hand in the classic karate chop, locking you fingers and jamming them finger first in his adam's apple with the intent to hit the back of his skull tends to cut of air supply rather well. Broken fingers are better than what could happen in this case.

4) Groin. Kick/Knee him in the jimmie with the full intent of making them come out his mouth. If he is not grabbing pavement he should at least be bent over and somewhat unable to block any follow up kicks to head, knees, ribs or location of your choice.

5) Eyes. He isn't concerned with your safety and well being so don't worry about his ability to learn braile. Be it the classic three stooges eye poke or Kiddo's eye pluck from Kill Bill, if he can't see you he will have a hard time following you.

6) Elbow. Harder to pull off than the knees, but if you can do it that arm won't be able to punch you...possibly ever as that is not an easy break to repair.

A few words...

Scream "Fire" as that does gain more attention than rape or help. People avoid personal danger but respond to fire for some reason.

Try not to look like a victim. If you walk around unaware of your surroundings that is when they can get you. Making eye contact has risks, but can let the guy know that you are aware that he is there so a sneak attack is out.

Compassion is right out the window, don't be afraid of what you might do to the guy in hurting him because he is absolutely not concerned about hurting you in any way shape or form. Call upon your anger for strength but don't let it cloud your actions or observations for an attack of opportunity.

When making a kick or punch, the target is not contact but well past the point of contact. Hence I said "intend to" as opposed to "hit him here." That is the difference in focus in a strike compared to just sparring. Also where the "hit like a girl" phrase comes from, well that and not using power to keep from hurting the person.

As for weapons, well to put it mildly a weapon is only as effective as your ability to use, willingness to use and ease of putting to use. Digging through a cluttered purse for 20 seconds to draw the .38 special from the bottom won't cut it. Nor will firing a warning shot, nor the ability to bring it to bear. And if you can't hit the broad side of the barn, well best just hit him with the purse. Then again, if you don't know how to use the purse strap as a garrote or where to hit to knock of balance to get in an effective punch or kick then the purse is not much of a weapon either.

[edit on 30-7-2008 by Ahabstar]

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 01:04 AM
link   
I would also reccomend you look into Krav Maga. Many women take it, it is quick to learn and very efficient.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 01:45 AM
link   
I've taken a few martial arts myself, and Krav Maga was one of them. Highly recommend it! There were a good many females in the class, and in the beginning they are paired with each other when sparring, but as you progress you move on to handling the more experienced men..and I'm not ashamed to say even after months of taking it I got my a$$ handed to by some females. It teaches very effective maneuvers and deals with real-life situations, like if you are attacked with a knife, gun, miscellaneous weapon. It isn't the easiest thing to learn, but may come in a great deal of use once you master it!

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 05:48 AM
link   
II will have to second Krav Maga. It's a pure self defence system. Typical east asian martial arts can become effective if you know how to apply it, but you will usually not be able to fight anyone experienced off with most martial arts training if you have no experience in applying select techniques in a live action scenario. All martial arts are good for exercise, and techniques for explosive power and stamina, but Krav Maga is probably the safest bet if you want to learn self defence.

Boxing techniques (Normal boxing, muay thai, some forms of hung gar) can prove effective as well, since using your arms and fists can be very effective. But again it works best if you learn how to apply it.

Safe sucker bets for when you are caught in situations where you have to defend yourself is just trying to strike the correct places from the start. Ahabstar had a nice list. Groin has been mentioned... that will pacify most people if you get in a good it. The neck and throat are very good areas to strike for. If you get in a good and hard fist to the adam's apple, you will most probably be able to get in the clear. The latter may prove hard on very tall people. A knee or a fist to the inside of the thigh CAN be effective, but you need the techniques to be able to strike hard, and some people may be able to easily deal with it. Keys as mentioned before is very good advice.

When you strike, clench your fist as hard as you can, and try to strike straight without extending your arm all the way out. Let the middle finger knuckle and the two knuckles on either side of it absorb the blow. Avoid letting your pinky knuckle absorb too much of the blow, as you may break it, especially if you are hitting a hard surface, like a head.

Another advice from me here would be to ignore the ban on pepperspray. We have had a silly amounts of rapes where I live the past years, and I got my girlfriend pepperspray to keep with her even though it's illegal here as well. Adherring to laws is important, but you have to draw the line somewhere. If you feel unsafe when you are out on your own, that justifies a subtle breach of rules.

A legal alternative to pepperspray could be a Surefire flashlight or similar. Something like the E2D Defender may work perfectly, especially in the dark. Give him 125 lumens straight into the eyes (will most probably blind him temporarily) and strike him with either the front or the backside of the flashlight. I own one, but have never had to use it. My gf carries it sometimes when it is not in my B.O.B

Naturally chanses are your opponent can get ahold of your "weapon"... that would put you in an even worse position. But if you watch it and play things smart you will most probably avoid that. Still, Krav Maga would be the best advice I feel. Problem is you may get attacked on your way to or from your first course.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ahabstar

Scream "Fire" as that does gain more attention than rape or help. People avoid personal danger but respond to fire for some reason.

That is probably one of the best pieces of advice that I have seen on these boards
...... you are absolutely right ......... The word FIRE tends to send chills down peoples spines and moves them to action. When I was in the Royal Navy, the words FIRE FIRE FIRE where probably the most andrenaline provoking words ever spoken.

From a medical point of view as to regards attempted rape ...... Grab hold of the erect penis and twist, doesnt matter which way, just twist with all your might. This breaks/bursts the main blood vessel in the penis and they can bleed to death in minutes unless medical help arrives quickly.

[edit on 30/7/08 by Wotan]

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Another good one is to scream "Help! My baby!"
People react well to that too. It has gotten my gf out of trouble before. It seems to scare the wits out the attacker too.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by sc2099

As other people have said learning Krav Maga would be extremely useful as it does not focus on forms or kata but is simply learning fighting techniques geared for one reason: self defence.

I wouldn't believe or try to learn things like arm locks, pressure points too readily as these only work sparingly and as a practitioner of martials arts / boxing myself, they do not work on a 6'1, 230lb male who happens to have drank a litre of vodka to himself and feels like hurting someone.

In regards to a legal weapon that you can carry and use I recommend you research the Kubotan - en.wikipedia.org...

As far as general tips & techniques that I can pass on to you, firstly strike hard and fast without hesitation and without thinking about the consequences if you truly believe you are in a situation where you could get seriously hurt or possibly even worse.

Second, try to use your brain avoid areas where trouble is likely to kick off, try and not to be alone at night etc I'm sure you've heard them all before but they are all very relevant.

Third, no I personally do NOT advocate carrying a knife for a number of reasons, 1.) Would you be prepared to actually use it? Now, without being sexist but I do not think most women would, which could possibly result in the knife being taken from you and used against you! Not very clever.
2.) You would have to justify to the police why you was carrying a knife in the first place, a criminal offence especially considering the fact you've just killed a bloke!

The Kubotan is a very effective weapon, concealable and very effective if used correctly. Also, I would rather risk carrying pepper spray than a knife however contrary to what most people believe pepper spray isn't actually that effective.

As a side note if you are interested in health & fitness then joining a gym and doing cardio and light weights too build your strength could be advantageous and you get the benefit of looking good and toning your body.

Finally, if you become your gyms treadmill speed champion just think about how fast you would be able to run away from an attacker

[edit on 30/7/08 by Death_Kron]

[edit on 30/7/08 by Death_Kron]

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 01:50 PM
link   
A 21" telescopic baton can be used as both a kubaton and a club. These can be easily carried and deployed quickly. However, if legal status is a concern then you may wish to look into that further.

If lock knives are legal to carry, a stilleto dagger style "spring assisted" (Avoids switchblade laws) of legal blade length (2 to 3 inches in a lot of countries) would be ideal to have.

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Wow, thanks everyone for all the great replies. It's so nice to know you're all concerned for my wellbeing
. I really do appreciate it.

I will definitely look into Krav Maga. I'm sure the ability to properly defend myself would bring about an unmatched confidence and peace.

In the meantime, and while I'm still a beginner, thanks for the advice regarding practical self defense techniques.

Ahabstar- that is a lot of very useful information. I just hope that if I were in a deadly situation I would be levelheaded enough to remember it. I have heard about screaming 'fire' before. They always tell you that but it's a good thing to remember.

LOL, yes digging through a purse for a weapon is pretty pointless, which is why I would hope to carry it in my pantspocket.

olef - Thank you for the advice on how to properly throw a punch. It is the most basic knowledge yet I was without it until you explained it to me. I have also thought about getting some pepper spray anyway. I used to have some when I live in New Orleans and it definitely would make the casual accoster recoil.

Wotan - I did not know that and I will keep it in mind.

Death Kron - I had never heard of the Kubotan and it is truly awesome. This was sort of what I had in mind. Thanks for that bit of info. Yes, if I carried a knife I would be prepared to use it to defend myself. If someone attacked me first what do I care what happens to them? I'm not a woman who would think twice about it. No offense taken though.

Spreadthetruth - I don't think telescoping batons are legal. I'm pretty sure they're not, in fact. But it is still a good suggestion.

Thanks again for all the great replies, all!

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Alternatively, holding your hand in the classic karate chop, locking you fingers and jamming them finger first in his adam's apple with the intent to hit the back of his skull tends to cut of air supply rather well. Broken fingers are better than what could happen in this case.

And if this fails you have broken fingers and you've basically just lost the fight. Don't do this.

Making eye contact has risks, but can let the guy know that you are aware that he is there so a sneak attack is out.

DO NOT MAKE EYE CONTACT IF YOU ARE TRYING TO AVOID A FIGHT. Unless, of course, you want to be attacked. Nothing gets attention better.

[edit on 31-7-2008 by Johnmike]

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Johnmike
DO NOT MAKE EYE CONTACT IF YOU ARE TRYING TO AVOID A FIGHT. Unless, of course, you want to be attacked. Nothing gets attention better.

On the other hand, if you walk with your head up, paying attention to those around you, making LIGHT eye contact with people (ie, don't stare them down but let them know you've seen them), most people will back off and let you go by.

This doesn't work with people you know though. That requires an entirely different method of control.

But if you look like a victim, looking at the ground, shoulders hunched, walkman on and not paying attention, you've just raised a big TARGET sign..

From having done martial arts for over 15 years, the easier the method, the more effective. Mostly because you don't waste energy and tire yourself out before you've managed to disable/tieup/disarm your attacker. Fighting is not like sport sparring. There are no rules. Eye, throat, groin are all fair game. And it only takes one well placed hit.

[edit on 2008/7/31 by juniperberry]

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by sc2099

LOL, yes digging through a purse for a weapon is pretty pointless, which is why I would hope to carry it in my pantspocket.

Most new knife models come with a belt clip. In fact, I think the law in some places favours the knife being in full view rather than concealed. Wearing it this way will definitely put an attacker off.

Also, you should look into the 'Guardfarther'. It's basically a pen lookalike, which at the touch of a button automatically extends into a point. Since it's not a blade and is sold as an auto ice pick, this could be something to look into.

www.knives4wholesale.com...

[edit on 1-8-2008 by Spreadthetruth]

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by juniperberry

Thank you for the clarification, by making eye contact I was not implying a staredown contest for who was the baddest in the block. Sorry I did not spell all that out.

John Mike: I would like to point out the finger first jab to the windpipe is a soft tissue target. In the event that you do happen to break a finger by the subject defending by dropping the head or jumping so your strike hits the upper breastbone then you have another thing to worry about...the attacker has an excellent reaction time and is skilled in hand to hand combat. This particular style of a strike is used in snake style and is known as Bui tse (thrusting fingers).

Specifically by hitting the taget (windpipe/Adam's apple) you run the risk of breaking a finger or two at the first knuckle but the attacker's widepipe will be crushed and will have breathing problems to contend with. I will risk such an unbalenced exchange of injuries and in a life or death situation most other people would as well.

This brings up style of fighting when throwing a punch. Clinched fists verus an open fist. By balling up a tight fist and throwing a punch a lot of energy is lost and you run the risk of breaking a finger or knuckle as well. By having a loose fist and tightening just before impact more energy is transfered and less chance of personal injury. Simple explaination is that the body can only remain tense for so long before it trys to relax. We could start talking about the merits of crossing the poles and breathing techniques but some things are better learned by experience instead of just reading about it.

And a disclaimer: I am not a martial artist in the fact that I have not trained in a specific style or school with the exception of blunt weapons and swords mostly in European Medieval forms such as Florentine styles of short sword and dagger or cloak and dagger and traditional fencing styles. I do have some knowledge of Asian style of sword fighting but am particularly practiced to fight well in them. Use of Tonfa would be an exception.

My list of suggestions were based on my knowledge of hand to hand and knowledge of the weaknesses of the human body that can be easily explained. In person, I could go over many different pressure points both painful and beneficial points, I do not usually teach other points, but sometimes make exceptions.

I have sparred with many martial arts students and most say the same thing after we teach each other different moves and points. That they could most likely defeat me in a real fight, but would not want to find out. I take that level of respect as a compliment and respond with yes, I would much rather have you beside me than facing me.

[edit on 1-8-2008 by Ahabstar]

new topics

top topics

join