Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Obama Should Stand Up to Russia's Regime

page: 1

join

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Here's an interesting opinion piece from the Wall Street Journal concerning Barack Obama's recent trip.

Berlin is an ideal place for an American president, even a would-be president, to speak to the world about freedom and shared values. Barack Obama's recent visit evoked the famous speeches of John F. Kennedy and Ronald Reagan that defended the U.S. stance against the Soviet Union and tyranny in Eastern Europe. Both the Berlin Wall and the Soviet Union are now gone, but dangerous, nuclear-armed dictatorships are not. Sadly, Mr. Obama declined to mention this in Berlin.

The stage for his disappointing performance was set several weeks ago, when the Illinois senator rejected John McCain's proposal to eject Russia and exclude China from the Group of Eight (G-8). Mr. Obama's response during a July 13 interview on CNN -- "We have to engage and get them involved" -- suggests that it is impossible to work with Russia and China on economic and nuclear nonproliferation issues while also standing up for democracy and human rights.

It has repeatedly been shown that the exact opposite is true.

The U.S. does not cede leverage with authoritarian governments when it confronts them about their crimes. Instead, the U.S. increases its credibility and influence with foes and friends alike. Placating regimes like those in Russia and China today only entrenches hostile, antidemocratic forces.

Commercial agreements, arms control and other mutually beneficial projects can be pursued without endorsing dictatorship. During the same interview, Sen. Obama spoke of enlisting China to help write the "international rules of the road." This is the same logic that led the United Nations to place China, Cuba, Russia and Saudi Arabia on its current Human Rights Council. Do we really want to live under rules created with the approval of such regimes?

While Mr. Obama talked about the importance of receiving Russia's help in containing Iran's nuclear ambitions, Reuters reported that Tehran is acquiring advanced S-300 surface-to-air missiles from the Kremlin. This is the cooperation the West has earned by including Russia in the G-8.

In Berlin, Mr. Obama repeatedly mentioned the 1948 Berlin airlift. On CNN, he said he would like to "bring back the kind of foreign policy that characterized the Truman administration with Marshall and Acheson and Kennan." A strange statement, since President Harry Truman fought against giving up an inch to the communists on any front around the world. Not only did Truman save West Berlin; South Korea, Taiwan and Western Europe also have much to thank him for. By contrast, in their July 9 op-ed in the Los Angeles Times, Obama advisers Madeleine Albright and William Perry, secretaries of state and defense under Bill Clinton, criticized Sen. McCain's proposal to respond to major powers' human-rights abuses with more than lip service.

Mr. Obama also asked if the West would stand up for "the human rights of the dissident in Burma, the blogger in Iran, or the voter in Zimbabwe."

Full Story

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I think simply he doesn't know about Russia that much as opposed to my man McCain.I sure if elected he would do just find with his handpicked cabinet members.

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 05:26 PM
link   
It is an interesting piece and one I agree with. According to the author, if you were to apply Obama's foreign policy ideology on hostile nations to a beligerant child, you would be placating the child at any cost and would end up with a spoiled brat. The paralell is striking. I also agree that the U.S. can stand up for itself and the principals by which we live and still seek nuclear nonproliferation. So far, the world hasn't been nuked all to hell yet, but now in comes a man who says he wants to change all of that, and he's spurred on by all of his far-left buddies in Congress. Combine that with a religious madman who seeks to destroy Isreal and is backed by two major powers, Russia and China. Am I right to be afraid?

new topics

join