It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Montauk Island Creature

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Try contacting the Plum Island Animal Research Center, its just around the corner from Montauk.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Looks like a sea turtle without it's shell to me.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by spookjr

my friend is the one who found it....and i can tell you for certain...no photoshopping.

we dont know what the hell it is

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 10:38 AM
link   
It's ManbearPig!

I'm serial people!

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Animal is not a muskrat - muskrat have flat molars and premolars for grinding up plats. This animal is a carnivore of some type based on the canine, pointy premolars and the carnassial (cutting tooth) toward the back.

I going with racoon because of the number of premolars. Different animals can be identified based on the number of teeth (by genus anyways). The original id is probably based on the counting of the teeth (and the number of each type of tooth).

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Looks very dog like to me, the nose/beak looks to be bone protruding through rotted flesh.

Do we need a 4 page thread to analyze a dead dog carcass?

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I have looked at this photo very carefully and it appears as though it may be a racoon, but it also looks like a martin. I wish there were some reference to size.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 11:05 AM
link   
it looks like a turtle without a shell.

poor turtle.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by russ1969
reply to post by Gemwolf

I would say its a racoon as well. And i believe this animal was killed for its fur then dumped in the ocean. Look at how the remaining fur on the right leg is pulled back.

Must also agree, its clearly a skinned racoon. I had a neighbor back east who skined rabbits, racoons, and squirrel, so unfortunately I know what this looks like, quite well.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I say a mix between a dog and a Rat thing.

/me votes Photoshop

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Retseh

Yes, because I think there is debate as to whether it is a dead dog carcass.

At least, I don't agree that it is. So, the thread goes on.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 12:52 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 01:12 PM
link   
What about a raccoon? The front feet don't look like a dog's feet and it would also account for the skinny torso and wide hips.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by RuneSpider

Maybe a turtle that was mutated and did not develop a shell?

-Kdial1

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I'm not so sure this guy has been skinned, it looks like the hair has just come off or been shaved. Or sloughed off as one poster put it. What i mean is, the skin still seems to be there. Once an animal has been skinned all you have is muscle and/or fat layer showing through... this hyar looks like skin (kind of baked looking skin, actually), and you can still see bits of hair here and there.

I don't think the carcass was dumped after parting company with its hide... but either way i guess that really doesn't help us solve this.

The front feet do kind of have that raccoonish 'fingers' look. I think Gemwolf's got it.

Great overlay Joker, star for you!

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 01:27 PM
link   
as a member of PETA i remember watching a video of a dog getting skinned alive for the chines fur industry (its on peta.org) it was grotesque, but it looks familiar with the bits on the legs, and the tail with a little bit of fur left, and a bit of skin left around the paw.
Is it possible something like this has happened, and someone has thought them self like a doctor Frankenstein and stuck something onto the dog? Because to be honest, it looks like a variety of different animals!
Just guessing?

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I'm saying raccoon on this one as well. Its just weird that it hasn't been scavenged and the body doesn't look that decomposed. Also, the left back leg looks mishapped or deformed. Maybe a deformed raccoon? Just an odd photo overall.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Official word from pest control is that it's a raccoon. You can believe it or not.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 02:02 PM
link   
It's not a muskrat...we do not have them on Long Island. It could possibly be a raccoon...the only thing that is making me think not is the upper part of the skull....raccoon's don't have a "beaked" upper jaw. I was thinking possum too, but again, the upper jaw. And its Montauk, NY, not Montauk Island. And the island everyone is thinking about is Plum Island.

Here is the info on Plum Island:
Plum Island
Foreign Animal Disease Diagnostic Laboratory

Plum Island Animal Disease Center is a US Department of Agriculture (USDA) facility devoted to diagnosing and researching foreign diseases of animals. Named for the beach plums that grow along its shores, Plum Island's ownership was transferred to the USDA's Agricultural Research Service (ARS) in 1954 to establish a laboratory to study foot-and-mouth disease (FMD) and other exotic animal diseases. The diagnostic activities at Plum Island were transferred from ARS to the Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) in 1983. Since then, under the administration of ARS, APHIS has maintained a foreign animal disease diagnostic laboratory (FADDL) on the island. Plum Island is the only location in the United States where infectious foreign animal disease agents can be studied. It is located 1 1/2 miles off the northeastern end of Long Island, NY.

The livestock population of the United States is susceptible to numerous foreign diseases, and an outbreak could have severe consequences for producers and consumers. FMD is the most infectious and economically devastating animal disease known and is found nearly worldwide. Based on a study conducted some years ago, if FMD became established in the United States, it would cost producers an estimated $12 billion over a 15-year period and raise the cost of meat and dairy products by 25 percent. Such an outbreak would also have a tremendous effect on annual U.S. exports of animals and animal products, which in 1988 were valued at $6.5 billion. The efforts of the FADDL are directed at keeping our livestock population free of devastating animal diseases.

Functions of the FADDL

* Diagnosis of Foreign Animal Diseases. APHIS scientists at the FADDL have the capability to diagnose more than 35 exotic animal diseases, and they perform thousands of diagnostic tests each year to detect the presence of foreign animal disease agents. The tissue and blood samples that are tested are submitted by veterinarians suspecting an exotic disease in domestic livestock or by animal import centers testing quarantined animals for foreign diseases. Samples are also submitted by animal health professionals in other countries who need help with a diagnosis.
* Training. An integral part of the laboratory's mission is training animal health professionals in the recognition of foreign animal diseases. FADDL staff present several courses each year at Plum Island to give veterinarians, scientists, professors, and veterinary students the opportunity to study the clinical signs and pathological changes caused by foreign animal diseases. FADDL scientists also give presentations on foreign animal diseases throughout the United States and other countries.
* Reagent Production and Vaccine Testing. Diagnostic reagents, such as antisera specific for foreign animal disease agents, are prepared at the FADDL and are distributed to laboratories throughout the world. FADDL employees also tests the safety and efficacy of vaccines for selected foreign animal diseases.
* Developmental Work. FADDL staff work to develop improved techniques for the diagnosis or control of foreign animal diseases. In recent years, FADDL scientists have developed such useful tools as a polymerase chain reaction for the detection of the FMD virus and a thermostable rinderpest vaccine.
* Custodian of the North American FMD Antigen Bank. This bank stores concentrated FMD antigen that can be formulated into a vaccine if an FMD introduction occurs. The bank is owned by Ca

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 02:04 PM
link   
www.cryptomundo.com...
Looks like more and more people are agreeing on the raccoon hypothesis.

[edit on 30-7-2008 by Stonefree386]

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join