It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant Chunk Breaks Off Canadian Ice Shelf

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Giant Chunk Breaks Off Canadian Ice Shelf

Giant chunks break off Canadian ice shelf By David Ljunggren
2 hours, 43 minutes ago

OTTAWA (Reuters) - Giant sheets of ice totaling almost eight square miles broke off an ice shelf in the Canadian Arctic last week and more could follow later this year, scientists said on Tuesday.

Temperatures in large parts of the Arctic have risen far faster than the global average in recent decades, a development that experts say is linked to global warming.

The ice broke away from the shelf on Ward Hunt Island, an small island just off giant Ellesmere Island in one of the northernmost parts of Canada.

It was the largest fracture of its kind since the nearby Ayles ice shelf -- which measured 25 square miles -- broke away in 2005.

Scientists had already identified deep cracks in the Ward Hunt shelf, which measures around 155 square miles. The shelf is one of five along Ellesmere Island in the northern Arctic.

"Because the break-off occurred between two large parallel cracks they're thinking more could go this summer before the freeze sets in," said Trudy Wohlleben of the Canadian Ice Service.

Asked to be more specific, she told Reuters: "More could be a piece as large as the Ayles ice shelf."

(visit the link for the full news article)

NEWS LINK

[edit on 29-7-2008 by asala]

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 03:16 PM
link   
More Proof Of Global Warming

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Could you PLEASE get the link right and don't quote the entire article.

MODS.. please take a look at this.

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Quazga

Sorry, still learning the ropes...Excuuuuuuuuse ME!

[edit on 29-7-2008 by spookjr]

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Thanks for posting this. I was reading this earlier today.

Sad to think that some folks still do not grasp the fact that we as a world are undergoing significant change in geo climate conditions.

My oldest daughter is a geologist. She is of the belief that this is not all man made.....but simply part of a cycle.

I myself believe that it is influenced by man but not to the degree that some feel it is.

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Thanks for the feedback, I was thinking about how this was similar the the Ross Ice Shelf info.
I think that there is a cyclical possibility to the Global Warming Theory but I also believe that man has advanced to the point of being able to affect the planet with industry and whatnot. I believe that we may be giving this current cycle of warming a big boost with our pollution from everthing from cars to nuke plants and the like.
BTW sorry MODS about the link issue, I am not the most computer savvy guy out there, still use a slide rule at work.

new topics

top topics

join