It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ladies and Gents, is Chivalry dead....or not wanted?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Honestly, I would have laughed in her face and given my standard short-but-sweet retort reserved for such idiocy. Chivalry (courtesy) is only dead to those who don't deserve the consideration.

[edit on 17-12-2008 by TravelerintheDark]

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 09:47 AM
link   
OP, please don't stop opening doors for us or anyone else. It's truly a lost art.. Somethings have to fade away before we realize their value.
I loved the idea that a man was to walk on the car side of the street to protect his woman. There were "rules and etiquette" to these things back then that weren't good either as we see by the sexual revolution. Change was needed. But I don't see any reason at all not to keep what was good about the traditional ideas of what is courteous or kind. Women need to realize the value in being a woman again. And men shouldn't have to be confused by it. I find it very sad.
I believe women need to teach their sons that, and their daughters not to be ashamed by our natural qualities. But that to be able to open ones own door makes it easier to open them for others.
I don't get it either, but then I have never minded help.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 05:49 PM
link   
I ALWAYS hold doors for women. If I forget with my girlfriend she stands there and stares at me until I do. She's hot enough to pull it off. I can't believe the woman yelled at you, what a psycho. I would have yelled right back, there is no reason to be nasty to someone who's just being polite, unless you were staring at her rump.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 07:37 PM
link   
i dont see how treating women like its the 1950's does anything
really

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 07:42 PM
link   
For the record, I hold the door for men too. It isn't about men vs women, it's just being courteous as a human being.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Runningtobabylon
i dont see how treating women like its the 1950's does anything
really
and how does treating them like the 2000s work out for ya? pendulum swings to find the balance. we try one thing and it doesn't work, so we try another. Problem I see is with extremes. Somewhere in the middle opening doors is no big deal.. but practically mentally abusing someone for it is another extreme and we don't need to go there. Treating everyone kindly is a great place to start.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join