It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UPDATE: 5.4 Earthquake in Diamond Bar (LA) California USA 7/29/08

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   
UPDATE: USGS is now saying 5.4 magnitude.

5.8 Earthquake in Long Beach California USA 7/29/08

earthquake.usgs.gov

Magnitude 5.8
Date-Time

* Tuesday, July 29, 2008 at 18:42:15 UTC
* Tuesday, July 29, 2008 at 11:42:15 AM at epicenter

Location 33.959°N, 117.752°W
Depth 12.3 km (7.6 miles)
Region GREATER LOS ANGELES AREA, CALIFORNIA
Distances

* 3 km (2 miles) SW (235°) from Chino Hills, CA
* 8 km (5 miles) SE (127°) from Diamond Bar, CA
* 9 km (5 miles) NNE (23°) from Yorba Linda, CA
* 11 km (7 miles) S (178°) from Pomona, CA
* 47 km (29 miles) ESE (103°) from Los Angeles Civic Center, CA
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 7/29/08 by stikkinikki]

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   

earthquake.usgs.gov
(visit the link for the full news article)

NO tsunamis expected. That's a relief!

To: U.S. West Coast, Alaska, and British Columbia coastal regions
From: NOAA/NWS/West Coast and Alaska Tsunami Warning Center
Subject: Tsunami Information Statement issued 07/29/2008 at 11:44AM PDT

At 11:42 AM Pacific Daylight Time on July 29, an earthquake with preliminary magnitude 5.6 occurred 80 miles/129 Km southwest of Barstow, California.

The magnitude is such that a tsunami IS NOT EXPECTED. However, in coastal areas of intense shaking, locally generated tsunamis can be triggered by underwater landslides. This will be the only WCATWC message issued for this event.

The location and magnitude are based on preliminary information. Further information will be issued by the United States Geological Survey or the appropriate regional seismic network.

wcatwc.arh.noaa.gov...

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 01:51 PM
link   
was about to post.

man I haven't felt a quake like that in a while

that was scary

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by stikkinikki

Oh yeah, I felt this baby, and I was about 50 mi. from the epicenter near the 60 and 57 freeways. I was telling my family it felt like a 4.0 if it was local, and about a 6.0 if it was farther away. My son's mom got up from the diningroom table saying "earthquake, earthquake!", but I didn't feel anything. Then, bam! I felt the jolt. No damage here, but cell and landline service are out. Obviously I still have broadband internet.

[edit on 29-7-2008 by Icarus Rising]

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I just had a feeling to check USGS. 5.8 is one you will feel unless you are jetskiing over chop.

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 01:55 PM
link   
The USGS link is jammed. lots of interest especially by me given the John lear and zaphod? thread about subsidence.

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 01:57 PM
link   
This JUST happen???

In in norcal now... ill make some calls...

Less then a 6 inst that bad...

I doubt there will be much damage... other then minor damage...

I doub there is any Major Strucural Damage...

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I knew this was going to happen today.

I have the ability to sense when a natural disaster is about to happen before it does (especially earthquakes).

I don't care who believes me, it's true.

It's not something I like because I can't "call" upon it, but I sense these things strongly before they happen.

[edit on 29-7-2008 by ufo reality]

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by TKainZero

There have been a bunch of 3.x before or after shocks but the USGS page isn't showing detail yet or it is flooded. Not much damage if any from a 5.8 but might rattle some nerves.

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 02:02 PM
link   
yea just felt it in North San Diego county in Fallbrook, near Oceanside. house shaked for a couple seconds

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 02:03 PM
link   
This is the first news report I have seen:

earthquake rocks los angeles

LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) -- A magnitude-5.8 earthquake has struck just east of Los Angeles, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

The quake's epicenter was about 2 miles southwest of Chino Hills and about 5 miles southeast of Diamond Bar, the USGS said. Chino Hills is about 30 miles east of downtown Los Angeles.

The center was about 7.6 miles deep. In general, earthquakes centered closer to the Earth's surface produce stronger shaking and can cause more damage than those further underground.

A 5.8 magnitude quake is considered by the USGS to be "moderate," which can cause slight damage to buildings and others structures. About 500 can happen globally each year, the survey says.

CNN's Ed Lavandera was at Disneyland with his family and felt the temblor. He said the shaking lasted about 5 seconds.

link   

link   
The magnitude is relatively high because time is a factor in the equation, and this one had a long rolling wave to it. It wasn't a sharp shock, so it wouldn't probably cause as much damage.

Predicting factors? I generally like to watch how people are driving. If I see more accidents, or more people generally driving badly, I think about earthquakes. Maybe somehow the tension in the ground is somehow felt by people, making them more tense and distracted than usual. I thought about it last Friday, actually, because people were driving like crap. I almost posted my prediction, but didn't.

I coulda been a contenda!

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by ufo reality
I knew this was going to happen today.

I have the ability to sense when a natural disaster is about to happen before it does (especially earthquakes).

If thats true...

Im sure there is at least one Degenerate Gambling site in the world that would take bets on what day an earthquake would happen...

Make some money with you skill..

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Acutally a quake was predicted for LA by quakeprediction.com between 29th and 31st of July. See here:

Video

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Felt the earthquake here in Van Nuys (suburb of Los Angeles) a few minutes go. felt very weak for a 5.6 More of a wobbeling bouncy type of quake than a violent type of shaking associated with ones this large. The quake lasted for a while though, a long slow rolling like wave, like if you were bobbing in the ocean.

Not bad at all, I doubt that there will be any damage to the city or surrounding areas.

My dogs weren't even bothered by it, although they did act weird yesterday and
The birds weren't chirping this morning, maybe they felt it coming.

Been a while since LA had a modest quake. It's weird you can hear them coming a split second before they hit. a low familiar rumbling noise that you can't put your finger on although you know that you've head it before.

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   
looks like the big one will come soon to us in southern cali?

haha weird having an earthquake after not having one in so long. so far people have felt it all the way down in San Diego. i live halfway between San Diego and L.A.

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by ufo reality

[edit on 29/7/08 by Jugg]

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I'd say the folks are really lucky not to have experienced a quake over 6.5

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I felt it in Glendale....there was one really good jolt and the rest was as stated, a nice rolling wave...

I was IMing by roommate the entire time it was going on giving here a second by second update....She was the first one in Europe to know about it, I'm sure...

If I'm doing that, then you know it was a small one...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join