It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There's life in space, says someone who's been there.

page: 1

join
share:
JAK

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 12:50 PM
link   

www.reuters.com

TOKYO (Reuters) - The U.S. commander of space shuttle Discovery believes life probably exists somewhere in outer space, but there is a simple reason why aliens have not visited earth -- the journey is too tough.

"We have seen some evidence that there is a possibility of some life on Mars in the past, so there is probably life all over the universe," astronaut Mark Kelly told a news conference in Tokyo on Tuesday, where he was joined by other members of the Discovery crew.

"From our experience, it is very difficult to travel through space, and I personally think aliens have not visited our planet."
(visit the link for the full news article)

JAK

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Not a reference to the recent Dr Edgar Mitchell comments (links: Breaking Alternative News and Aliens & UFOs threads) but this time from U.S. commander of space shuttle Discovery Mark Kelly. Although less controversial than those offered recently by Dr Edgar Mitchell, here we have a prominent, current figure from NASA publicly referencing the possibility of not only extra-terrestrial life but intelligent extra-terrestrial life, unable to visit Earth due to logistics involved in such a journey.

The wording of the article is quite intriguing. When read in conjunction with his belief that " ... there is probably life all over the universe," the comment "From our experience, it is very difficult to travel through space, and I personally think aliens have not visited our planet." offered by Reuters as the "simple reason why aliens have not visited earth" is open to interpretation as suggesting Reuters took from the interview the understanding that Mark Kelly is under the impression it may be distance alone which precludes the idea of alien visitation to this planet presently.

Of course those sitting in a country other than that in which I sit at present and reading this post so soon after it was written are achieving a feat which, with the level of technology available not too long ago, would have been considered impossible due to distance.

www.reuters.com

[edit on 29/7/08 by JAK]

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by JAK
Of course those sitting in a country other than that in which I sit at present and reading this post so soon after it was written are achieving a feat which, with the level of technology available not too long ago, would have been considered impossible due to distance.

Thats a very good point, and something I've been pondering on recently with regard to ET, especially in light of Dr Michio Kaku's comments on the ATS Mix show.

At one point he talks about von Neumann machines (self replicating robots) being used to explore the galaxy but then he also talks about particles existing in two places in the galaxy that are linked to each other, and if you affect one, you affect the other. The concept of that is mind blowing, especially if you consider the possibility of a technology that can manipulate such things to a degree where its possible for a conscious entity to exist in two places at once - almost like a cosmic teleportation device. Suddenly the concept of "Stargate" seems much more feasible - and if the universe works the way he theorises it does - entirely possible one techmology advances that far.

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by JAK

www.reuters.com

TOKYO (Reuters) - The U.S. commander of space shuttle Discovery believes life probably exists somewhere in outer space, but there is a simple reason why aliens have not visited earth -- the journey is too tough.

"We have seen some evidence that there is a possibility of some life on Mars in the past, so there is probably life all over the universe," astronaut Mark Kelly told a news conference in Tokyo on Tuesday, where he was joined by other members of the Discovery crew.

"From our experience, it is very difficult to travel through space, and I personally think aliens have not visited our planet."

Hey Jak,

isn't reuters a tabloid and therefore to be a untrusted source?

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by klain

Reuters is a tabloid? what?

I am sorry but I dont get that line at all.

As far as the story goes its pretty cool to see a current figure of good repute to come out and say what he thinks.

cool thread

[edit on 10/20/2008 by TONE23]

[edit on 10/20/2008 by TONE23]

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by klain
Hey Jak,

Reuters a tabloid? No, Reuters is one of the world's major newswire services, like AP.

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by mythatsabigprobe

Originally posted by klain
Hey Jak,

Reuters a tabloid? No, Reuters is one of the world's major newswire services, like AP.

Okay my misktake just clarifying

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 10:39 AM
link   
All reasonable points, and well made - but the fact remains that what Mark Kelly is doing is still speculation. He's effectively saying what any of us are able to say, which is that the abundance of suitable circumstances for life to develop in the universe suggest that it's difficult not to believe that there's anything/anyone else out there.

What Mitchell claimed was quite different - because he seems CERTAIN of the existence of alien life.

But I certainly agree with the point about things that currently seem beyond us being unlikely to remain so forever. The reality is not so much that we don't know how to get across the universe, but we don't know enough about the universe yet to know if it might be possible.

So, all we can do is speculate. Unless Mitchell's mates turn up and tell us how it's done...

LW

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 10:41 AM
link   
does this appear to be a gradual introduction to life outside of our planet?
that's the way it appears to me, and would seem appropriate for NASA to cover its own *ss when disclosure happens. this signals the start of dispelling the fear and blunting the pathos that would follow such disclosure.

top topics

join