It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama's campaign may have faked the Kotel prayer theft

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 11:38 AM
link   
www.haaretz.com...

The U.S. presidential candidate visited the site early Thursday and placed a note in the cracks of the wall, as is customary.

The note was subsequently removed from the wall, according to the daily Maariv, which printed what it said were the contents of the prayer. Maariv said a religious student gave the note to the newspaper.

Obama's senior strategist Robert Gibbs told CNN: "We haven't confirmed nor denied" that the note is from the Illinois senator.

The notes are supposed to be removed twice a year, on the eve of Rosh Hashanah and Passover, and placed in a repository "to keep them hidden from human eyes," said Rabbi Shmuel Rabinowitz, who supervises the Western Wall.

"This sacrilegious action deserves sharp condemnation and represents a desecration of the holy site. Notes placed in the Western Wall are between the person and his Maker. Heaven forbid one should read or use them."

Asked what he wrote, Obama declined to answer, saying it was a private conversation between him and God.

"The boycott will be lifted," he added, "after the newspaper publishes a notice, both in Hebrew and in English, apologizing for its lack of sensitivity and for its violation of Senator Obama's privacy and honor."

Maariv's response: "Obama's note was published in Maariv and other international publications following his authorization to make the content of the note public. Obama submitted a copy of the note to media outlets when he left his hotel in Jerusalem. Moreover, since he is not Jewish, there is no violation of privacy as there would be for a Jewish person who places a note in the wall."

If this is true, than its a pretty shady trick. Obama, change we can believe in!

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 11:48 AM
link   

IF

is a huge word dronetek.

Let's get some corroboration before we jump to conclusions.

Although I don't recall Obama ever adressing this, so I'm not sure where the trick would be?

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Combined with all of the Obama posters that the campaign plastered all over the site in a move that was, at best, distastefully political, I think the whole thing is definitely fishy.

I have an incredibly difficult time believing that a 'religious student' (and I believe he was about 20; old enough to know better) would desecrate one of his faith's holy sites by doing this. It may be as reported, but at the same time, it doesn't entirely pass the smell test. Something about this story stinks.

EDIT: I missed that part you highlighted. I must be half-asleep or something. But yeah, if that's true, this is a pathetic little stunt that they've pulled. Not that it matters, very few in the US will ever hear that this may have happened.

[edit on 29-7-2008 by vor78]

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Quazga

IF

is a huge word dronetek.

Let's get some corroboration before we jump to conclusions.

Although I don't recall Obama ever adressing this, so I'm not sure where the trick would be?

Hey, at least I put IF in there. Unlike you guys and your constant ridiculous McCain threads.

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Obama is nothing more than another political empty suit. It would not shock me and i woul almost expect him and his staff to pull a stunt like that. Its a good stunt, but like his whole trip, to anyone with an IQ over 18 can see.. nothing more than just a ploy to make people think he " looks like a president" I almost wonder.. IF Obama loses.. will he just take the stance and say that he won.. he and McCain both show up on move in day..

If it looks like a duck, acts like a duck, sounds like a duck.. ITS A QUACK just like the political system.

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 12:43 PM
link   
It would be a simple matter of contacting these other media outlets to see if he in fact did submit the contents of the prayer to them.

I doubt the media will try very hard to ascertain the facts though. It's only newsworthy if it's anti-Obama propaganda..

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Dronetek

Still looking for proof of the Obama authorization to publish the note. So far all I have found is a claim made in a statement made by the Israeli paper. Why can't the paper publish the authorization alongside the note?

It looks to me like the play could go both ways. Either the paper is lying about receiving a press release or his note was intercepted and the party created a fake press release, then handed the note over to Maariv. (Note: the seminary student was never identified).

Essentially, without proof the credibility of the story is dubious at best. Either the paper is lying to avoid outrage, the Obama camp orchestrated the situation or it was a set up by unknown parties to discredit the Obama campaign.

In my opinion all probabilities need to be considered before loudly screaming "gothcha."

[edit on 29-7-2008 by clay2 baraka]

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by clay2 baraka
Still looking for proof of the Obama authorization to publish the note.

I won't hold my breath on that.

It looks to me like the play could go both ways. Either the paper is lying about receiving a press release or his note was intercepted and the party created a fake press release, then handed the note over to Maariv. (Note: the seminary student was never identified).

I ask myself, "Which is more likely"?

That a kid (or an Obama-hater) saw a world-famous US presidential candidate put his prayer in the wall and nabbed it after he left and turned it in (or perhaps sold it) to the paper??

OR

Obama, feeling the need for just a little more publicity (because Lord knows his trip overseas wasn't getting enough attention and media exposure!), took his prayer back out of this holy sight and wrote an authorization to print it in the local newspaper, making it crystal clear to the entire world that he didn't give a crap about the sanctity of the wall, this country's religious rituals or his alleged private prayer between himself and God...

Hmmm... I wonder which one is true...
/s

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Well it's convenient how quickly they produced this new Obama video using the wall as a stage prop to demonstrate his piety..

Youtube doesn't seem to want to work in here for some reason, so here's a link.

New Video on Youtube

[edit on 29-7-2008 by LLoyd45]

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Quazga

Hate to say it, but if it were McCain everyone would be on it like hot cakes claiming how the end is near.

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Check out this video! At about 1:10, a man comes into view on the left side of the screen. He acts very suspicious, kind of straightening his tie, looking around... (He could be security, but I don't see him in any other views of Obama.) Then, as Obama passes, he swings around as if he might head back to the wall... and just then, it goes to the next screen.

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Some pretty interesting videos out there! LOL Check 40 seconds...

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by vor78

I have an incredibly difficult time believing that a 'religious student' (and I believe he was about 20; old enough to know better) would desecrate one of his faith's holy sites by doing this. It may be as reported, but at the same time, it doesn't entirely pass the smell test. Something about this story stinks.

For a couple bucks I would dance in my underwear...

Money makes people do things they wouldn't normally do. And we all know that these media guys will pay for smut.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 06:59 AM
link   
There are a lot of good points here...

www.americanthinker.com...

*sorry I don't remember how to post an article in a word like all you cool people...

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

ROFL, you know we're on to something when they are faking videos.

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Alright, I heard today this was all a misunderstanding and I'd like to clarify what really happened:

See, Obama heard people drop notes off there for his Dad, he was just there to pick up his mail...

top topics

join