It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

African-Americans?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 10:45 AM
link   
First of all, I'm not sure if I am posting this in the right spot, please fell free to move it if need be.

Second, please do not post playing the race card. I am not a racist, this is a legitimate question I have.

Why in the last several years are black Americans insisting on being called "African-Americans"? I'm pretty sure that the vast majority of the ancestors of these "African-Americans" have been here in the US for almost as long if not as long as white Americans. I can understand if you are not born in America, of course if you are a naturalized citizen, you are an African-American or Italian-American or whatever. But if you are born here, you are just AMERICAN.

I personally feel that insisting on being called African-American is as insulting as David Duke saying whites should be called "European-Americans".

Any thoughts?

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I think it is an interesting question and will be interested in seeing the replies, however, why would you be insulted? Is it physically harming you if they call themselves African Americans? People get so offended over the stupidest things these days.
I actually *WOULD* probably be called racist, but that is due to the fact that ppl DO get soooo offended easily, not bc I am a KKK or Natzi lover. I think the mixing of cultures and religions has been a great downfall of mankind simply bc everyone wants to impose their beliefs and rituals onto everyone else.

[edit on 29-7-2008 by justamomma]

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 11:27 AM
link   
This label has gotten so PC I've heard people refered to as "African Americans" simply because they're black without even being Americans at all. I say "black". You can call me "whitey", "cracker" or whatever. I don't care. If it doesn't come out hostile then so what?

My girlfiend is hispanic and you should hear all the epithets we use to each other. It's all in good fun and never used as an insult but for mocking idiotic racist attitudes. Ironically it seems she makes me do so much waiting on her at times I call her "Miss Daisey." Never mind my "ghetto butt" (yes, Eastern Europeans aren't quite normal whiteys).

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by justamomma

The only reason I find it "insulting" is the fact that if I call myself European-American (not that I do), then I am a racist, but if they call themselves African-American it is not racist.

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by quaple_pouge

As far as I can count, they have been referenced by 4 titles in the last 50 years. Each progression of the title has been due to the leaders feeling the prior was derogatory in nature.

1. Negro
2. Colored
3. Black
4. African-American

Personally I'm not a big fan of Hyphens. I don't like it in married names nor do I like it when a group wants to identify themselves. If you want to live in America I say lose the hyphen. I mean if I see an Asian person and they are introduced as Asian-American I'm pretty sure I had it figured out already.

Becker

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 11:49 AM
link   
I just think that if you are born in America and live in America, pay taxes in America and so on, then you are an American. But if anyone else wants to put a slash between that and call themselves ________/Americans then I really don't care. It doesn't bother me one bit because I'm proud to be just an American. I know where my ancestors came from and that's a part of me but I'm American. There are double standards for some but not for me. I will not call my friends any racial words just because I can, I have better morals than that, but I hear it all the time from others. Still I don't let it affect my life in anyway.

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by quaple_pouge
reply to post by justamomma

The only reason I find it "insulting" is the fact that if I call myself European-American (not that I do), then I am a racist, but if they call themselves African-American it is not racist.

ok... I understand that. But these days, ppl could and probably would get offended by almost anything you say or do. While I find it ridiculous that *some* (bc it isn't ALL) want to mooch off of the tax payers' $$ and have special priveledges bc "the white man is holding the brotha down" and then turn around and say "we are African Americans," my major gripe would not be in what they want to call themselves. Hell, I claim my irish blood even though I was not born in Ireland.... that is bc it shows in my skin, my hair, my temper lol, etc.

I just honestly could care less what they want to call themselves so long as they quit playing the "we were slaves" card "and so you owe us."

my anscestors were treated badly as well and actually in some cases were treated worse considering that most slaves in the south were given property and treated like family by their owners. I don't think that entitles me to anything that I don't work my arse off for though.

African-American, Black man, Brotha, whatever.... if ya live in America, you should be required to work for what you want and you should feel grateful that HOWEVER your anscestors were brought here, at least you are here and have a great opportunity to make something of yourself.

Good question still!!

[edit on 29-7-2008 by justamomma]

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I think the term is absolutely ridiculous and should be stopped!

Of all the blacks or Africans I have known:

Most blacks I know have never even stepped foot on the African continent nor know anything about African culture.

I also know a number of Africans who are WHITE. Yet if they asked to be called "African American" they would be scoffed at.

And even some blacks who were born in England and now live in America. What are they? African-British-American ?

What about those who look middle eastern but come from Morocco. I have known some Americans born/raised in Morocco. Hmmm. They are African. Yet here in America, they could not call themself that!

Seriously, the term needs to be dropped. It is not appropriate, at all.

Bottom line:

African does NOT equal Black
Black does NOT equal African

[edit on 7/29/2008 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 12:05 PM
link   

I just honestly could care less what they want to call themselves so long as they quit playing the "we were slaves" card "and so you owe us."

Thank you VERY much! I live in South Louisiana and this mentality is RAMPANT!!

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 08:17 AM
link   

I agree with your thinking. I personally think it is offensive that they call themselves African-American when in fact they are NOT african-american at all. If you were born here you are American. The only difference is your skin tone, woopty do. And I know from personal experience from knowing 2 actual "african-american's" that they despise the "african-american's" over here. I'm not racist but its time to stop living a lie.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 03:54 PM
link   

because africa's our roots. hence african american.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by LordInfamous

Last I checked it was the ultimate roots for all of us. I suppose we should all use that term. My whitey ancestors just took the scenic route. One of them was even sold into slavery in the 1600's.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Then why do so many "African Americans" shout racism if a white person who's ancestors have been here for hundreds of years (just like yours) calls themselves "European American"?

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Then why do so many "African Americans" shout racism if a white person who's ancestors have been here for hundreds of years (just like yours) calls themselves "European American"?

I've never known any Blacks (including myself) to ever immediately think racism just because someone described themselves as European-American (in any derived form) or it being used to refer to a certain group within America.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 11:24 AM
link   

I've never known any Blacks (including myself) to ever immediately think racism just because someone described themselves as European-American (in any derived form) or it being used to refer to a certain group within America.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 03:14 PM
link   

i wasn't aware that we shouted racism when whites do that. i'll have to add that to the list.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 04:03 PM
link   
there are a few that have, i've heard it a couple of times it didnt go far though.. great thread.. cant wait to read more replies on this,
i do have to say that even though its pc to say it. it really dont make sense

[edit on 12-8-2008 by scorand]

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 09:07 PM
link   
I'm glad they divide themselves from me, and I am glad that those like me choose to live in the now not in the past. So they;re proud of their culture? Yeah? what have they personally done to build today's American culture except to divide and tear down? What did they personally do to build the African culture of the past? nothing, that's what.

top topics

join