It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wicked Machete w/ Saw

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 06:26 AM
link   
So, I saw this Machete with saw at Academy for only 17.99.
This looks like a great survival tool... any opinions?

The teeth on the saw look quite formidable, and it comes included with a sheath. Often, it is hard to tell if a saw will work well (ease of cutting, plus doesn't get fouled easily). But, it looks as if these teeth are large enough with enough space to provide easy cutting power.

Info from Gerber Website:
"Ready for some fun? This Gerber Machete weighs only 1 pound and has 25 inches of overall length for maximum brush cutting. What's really cool about this machete is the integrated saw on the back side. How many times have you found yourself with something hanging by a string and every time you strike it bounces instead of cutting? The integrated saw will allow you to saw the material right off! The Gerber Machete has a hole in the blade for easy storage on the wall, and it comes with a very nice sheath. It's not priced bad either"

I was looking at this tool, because I will be living in the wilderness for at least a month. During this time, I will be constructing a viable shelter (with plans to rennovate and improve upon this shelter the entire time).

In your opinion, does this tool look useful, or is it mainly just show? I personally have to admit it is a fearsome looking weapon (tool). I thought this might be a good tool to have, in addition to a hand held saw like the one Dan showed in his thread.

Are there any features of a fixed blade saw such as this, that a hand held flexible one wouldn't have or vice versa?

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Link to the page so i can look at the specs? I need to see teeth distance, teeth angle cut and blade composition.

Then i'll give you an opinion.

Daniel.

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Dan, the only information I was able to find, is that it is a 15 inch saw blade.
The product number is 22-41576 and it is manufactured by Gerber.

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 07:04 AM
link   
No dude, you don't get it.... I need a link please so I can look at it. I need to know if its a high carbon blade, if its multi toothed..

Oh sod it, i'll go look for myself.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Dan, sorry but I'm unable to find any technical stats about this tool.

During my searching, I have found several reviews, and a few of them commented to how easily the cutting edge bent, and how it wasn't sharp enough out of the box.

I'm still thinking about getting this, because for the 17 bucks, I think it would be a decent tool, as long as I don't abuse it. Price is really an issue for me, as I don't have loads of cash to throw out for the high end gear.

Edit: The fact that I can't find stats on this machete is quite disturbing, and might detract me from buying it.

[edit on 30-7-2008 by ThreeDeuce]

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 10:38 PM
link   
I just bought one of these a few days ago. I have been impressed with it's durability and ability as a machete, however it's not as good at sawing as I had hoped. I believe it's the action of sawing while holding onto the straight handle because the teeth are very similar to what you would find on a rip saw or the like. In a pinch you could use it for sawing, but you would be better off with a tool made specifically for sawing such as the Gerber Gator Saw. It folds up into a neat little package, has exchangeable blades and will rip through a log like nobodies business.
www.utilitysafeguard.com...

top topics

join