It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What makes a man, a man?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 09:57 AM
link   
sodom
making a woman a woman is what makes a man a man.....

and for gays: making a man a man is what makes a man a man....

wrong answer....

sodom

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 12:04 PM
link   
For me, I would look at him like a mother would. If I saw him develop traits and actions that represented maturity he would be "becoming a man" instead of a boy. A daughter would be "becoming a woman" at child bearing age. What those traits and actions for a man would be are numerous and varied based on the personality of the boy. Responsibility, self-sufficiency, emotional well-being, etc. If I felt the boy was "ready" to go out into the world on his own. For men who live at home, it is complicated because the reasons are usually complicated. He could be a man, but have ties to his parents for either immature or mature reasons. I know a man who lives at home, but he hasn't always, and he does because he loves them and helps them, and his paycheck goes into the pot, as opposed to living with a roommate. He is not married. Never has been. I see him as a man, but he hasn't formed a stereotypical life with a woman. He has also retained his childlike enthusiasm at 40. He dates, but nothing has really evolved out of it.
When you add an adjective to MAN, is when it gets more complicated, successful man, happy man, good man, ladies's man, man's man, etc.

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 12:32 PM
link   
A Man. Hmmm. In my opinion, the following are most, but not all of what I feel a man is.

I believe a man is someone who can take care of himself, accept all responsibilty for all his actions, respect others (well, those who deserve to be respected), respect himself, can be strong when needed and show a softer side when needed (and even cry).

Has maturity and morals but knows how to act like a kid too when appropriate (after all silliness/humour is a must to get thru life sometimes). He is humble when needed and proud when needed and able to discern when he should be either or.

If he has a family, he strives to care for and protect his family.

Im sure I could go on
and might add more as they come to mind!

As far as what a woman is. I cant really answer that, as I am a woman. I do look forward to hearing what others say about a woman.

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 12:36 PM
link   
this question is too broad and can be so subjective

answers like one man's junk is another man's treasure

answers would be all over the board that you could never get an exact definition and would default to the latter of genetics and chromosomes

xy

but its good to see every one's own perception of that, it makes for diverseness and not boring sameness

[edit on 29-7-2008 by MurderCityDevil]

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Ian McLean

I was running out of time this morn to discuss the woman aspect. I kept it to bullet statements.

Like you, I think you need to look more at a historical view of womanhood as compared to today's modern society of the woman helping the family in an economic sense. This isn't just the case in the USA or other first world nations. Nations that have traditionally strong families with multi-generational family units living together; are beginning to change to the modern definition of a family having two incomes, with both parents seeking their own career. China comes to mind immediately in this regard.

Today's woman has to balance career and family in ways unheard just a generation ago. How this will shake out in the next few generations remains to be seen. This doesn't even begin to explore the one parent family structure or even the basic problem of teenage motherhood with kids having kids.

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 12:57 PM
link   
What makes a man a man? The way he handles life. True to his word. How he handles adversity. How he handles responsibility.

What makes a woman a woman? Dude, I've been married twice, I still can't figure that one out.

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I've been noticing a lot of comments about the mysteries of women lately. You guys seem generally confused by us. Even to the point of calling us insane and fantasy based. Do we need a thread on the psychology of women? Our motivations and desires. Our secrets? What makes a woman crazy? I have seen many threads on stereotypes but no real interest in us, just irritated comments. Are you asking for our help, without really asking? Or are you resigned to just calling us a mystery to never be understood?

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 02:12 PM
link   
IMO It's how a man treats his family. His family comes before any of his own needs/wants. It's his ability to bring up strong independent free thinking children. To teach his children that family comes first. To teach his
sons the proper way to treat woman, by example of how he treats his own wife.To be an example to his daughters the way a man should conduct himself and be a solid measure of what her own husband should be.IMHO a man is not a man until he is in this role. (I'm sure many will disagree). Finally a man gives to his community members and those less fortunate than himself in particular.

[edit on 29-7-2008 by Swingarm]

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by seagrass
Are you asking for our help, without really asking? Or are you resigned to just calling us a mystery to never be understood?

Uh, both, as far as I can tell. Seems like it's been that way for a looong time.

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Swingarm
IMO It's how a man treats his family. His family comes before any of his own needs/wants. It's his ability to bring up strong independent free thinking children. To teach his children that family comes first. To teach his
sons the proper way to treat woman, by example of how he treats his own wife.To be an example to his daughters the way a man should conduct himself and be a solid measure of what her own husband should be.IMHO a man is not a man until he is in this role. (I'm sure many will disagree). Finally a man gives to his community members and those less fortunate than himself in particular.

What if he doesnt want to get married have a family,children etc does this mean he is not a man assuming what you think constitutes as one?
or are those dispoasbal;e as long as he is a person who does what he thinks is right?

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Thats why I said IMHO, If you don't want it thats a question directed back to you. I just feel that the real measure and what makes a man is his family.

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   
A man is born a Man

A woman is born a Woman

A Woman, cannot become a Man

A Man, cannnot become a Woman

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by TKainZero

No, that makes us male and female. It takes SO much more to be a man.

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKainZero
A man is born a Man

A woman is born a Woman

again your thinking is just retarded at best

how would you explain the MULTITUDES of sexual variances out there?

there are so many xxy, xxyy, xyy etc etc etc

your thinking is what keeps the world from moving ahead to people actually being treated as equal

man, sometimes i wish i had control of members memberships on here

get a clue

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Responsibility makes a man.

Responsibility makes a woman.

Child...not responsible.

Adult responsible.

Unfortunately, all adults come with child-like tendancies that are still part of them until they die.

Conclusion: we are all children with different degrees of ability when it comes to acting.

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by nerbot

true but to an extent responsibility can come at any age, not any age, but i have known some pretty responsible teens

good post though

nothing really defines us as in sex wise than our physicalities

if you break it down we are ALL different, its just easier to say sexes cause obviously thats the first difference

people are confusing this thread with sex organs and now what it takes to be a person

like i said earlier, this question is pretty broad and subjective

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKainZero
A man is born a Man

No, a man is born a boy............."it's a.....Man!"

A woman is born a Woman

No, a woman is born a girl....."ahhh, is it a man or a woman?"

"tuck".

"nip".

------------------------

A woman is born a girl.

A man is born a boy.

Infancy, childhood, puberty and Adulthood is usually inevitable.

Being a "man" or "woman" is not.

It also depends on the situation...I'm sure most of us remember occassions about convincing parents that we ARE old enough to go somewhere or do something, but when it comes to things like responsibility.....aaaaahhhhh! run! The same is still true in everyday life isn't it no matter how old we are?

I guess what I should really be saying is.....man & woman = old enough and strong enough to stand on this ball of dirt with your own two feet....and become an individual.

[edit on 29/7/2008 by nerbot]

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by MurderCityDevil

people are confusing this thread with sex organs

My uncle albert used to play one of those.

He got arrested!

----------------------

sorry, the "man" part of me stepped out for a moment.

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I'm going to go along with meeting responsibility in both cases.

I knew a guy that looked like the wind could blow him away but, worked his ass off to provide for his family. That kind of devotion is pretty impressive to me.

On the ladies side, I work with a gal that got pregnant at an early age from some schmuck who basically checked out of the situation. She not only had the kid but, raised him to the best of her ability with little/no help from the father.
-An impressive woman in my book.

There's of course other ways to achieve it. A very quick list.

Real men

Dr. King
John Wayne
Arnold Palmer
The Japanese soldier they found on an island 30 years after the war that was still ready to fight.

Women

Hillary (gotta call em like I see em)
Joan of Arc
The lady that can bring home the bacon and fry it up in a pan.

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 05:35 PM
link   

1) how would you explain the MULTITUDES of sexual variances out there?
2)there are so many xxy, xxyy, xyy etc etc etc
3)your thinking is what keeps the world from moving ahead to people actually being treated as equal
4)man, sometimes i wish i had control of members memberships on here
5)get a clue

1) That explaination is outside the scope of this discussion, but has alot to do with the calculated break down of the family due to the feminist homosexual agenda perpatrated by the NWO globilists.
2) agreed ?
3) define ahead ?
4) Interesting, control is at the root of the first point you bring up.
5) Society needs to get a clue. Today people seem confused and frieghtened by the opposite sex. Roles have been perverted under the ruse of equality.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join