It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My son is doing something weird.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Sorry if this is posted in the wrong area.

My son is 2 years and 2 months old. He doesn't talk so there isn't a way where I can communicate with him on this. Usually, most kids are afraid of the dark, but my son isn't. We have a bedroom that is his playroom. He usually doesn't do this in the day but at night time, when it is dark, with no lights, he will either go into the closet or in his tent and just stand or sit there, for up to 30 mins. He is usually very active so it is unusual that he will sit still for so long. A lot of the times I have snuck up on him to see if he is playing or talking (making noises) with himself or his imaginary friend. But he doesn't he just sits there. I don't think that he is trying to play hide and seek because when he does he will go under the sheet or hide under his blanket and then uncover himself and then say "boo". Anyone know why he is doing this.

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 02:58 AM
link   
I can see how this would worry you.
Unfortunately I cannot offer any assistance, but I have flagged the thread so hopefully you will get some more exposure.

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 03:01 AM
link   
i also wanted to go out of my way to reply to let you know that i do no know anything and have nothing of value to add but desperately need attention so i posted here anyway as well.

ps flagged

-truly hope someone has some real help to offer you

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 03:06 AM
link   
I wouldn't worry about it or think anything paranormal.

sometimes very smart children don't start speaking immeadiately but have alot of thought going on... I think the reason most kids are afraid of the dark is that they are more prone to lucid dream in that environment... he seems like he enjoys this sort of thing...

If his thoughts produce positive images in the dark... it may very well be a sign of a very relaxed comfortable personality I wouldn't sweat it...

btw 2 kids of my own...

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 03:44 AM
link   
So he's just standing there doing nothing? Sounds really weird, sorry I can't help either.

I don't know, maybe he's trying to listen to something? Maybe he can hear a noise like say mice or possums in the roof or whatever. Maybe he likes the silence, sometimes I like to just sit and do nothing and just listen to the silence and think. Maybe he's just really thinking hard about something? Although he's only 2, so I don't know. Sorry I can't add anything more constructive..

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 03:45 AM
link   
I don't think you have anything to worry about. You said that your son is usually very active, so perhaps he just needs some time alone once in a while to relax and "charge his batteries". The way you describe it, it doesn't sound like he is scared or angry or depressed. And at his age, he is learning a lot of new things every day, so I think it is only natural that he takes a break from time to time, just to process things.
Be proud of your smart and thoughtful little boy. And shower him with love!

[edit on 29-7-2008 by ziggystar60]

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 03:50 AM
link   
kids are "pure " at a young age and maybe he can see something that most of us cannot.

I have a niece that is like that, she's about 7-8 i think, but she gets up at night sometimes and look off into nothing for at least an hour or go somewhere by herself and start talking and laughing, and later on she would tell us that she has been talking to someone that has passed away.

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 04:23 AM
link   
Your son's name isn't Plato by chance is it?

I'm no expert in this area, but my parents told me that I did the same thing when I was young. Apparently until I was 4 after I ate dinner I would go to my closet and lay down quietly, but not sleep. I don't remember it, but I'm not scared of the dark so that's a plus! And I think I turned out okay
It is probably just one of those things that some kids do, some kids don't do...I definitely wouldn't worry about it.

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 04:36 AM
link   
Just to be on the safe side I would take him to your pedicatrition for a check up. That will certainly allay any fears.

[edit on 7/29/2008 by jpm1602]
Edit: Sorry, my eyes are really bothering me tonight. sp

[edit on 7/29/2008 by jpm1602]

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 05:37 AM
link   
I don't have children but I know that I used to do something similar when I was a child...I would hide in a closet or under a bed to get away from everybody. The last time I did it (I was about 4 years old) I fell asleep and my mother was frantically looking for me around the house and the whole neighbourhood for hours. I eventually crawled out from behind the display cabinet in the lounge and got the whipping of my life from my mother as she had even called the police thinking that I had been kidnapped or something!
We had a full house - 5 kids, my parents plus my granma and granpa - so I used to find a quiet peaceful place to just sit for a while. Maybe your child just needs a break from the hectic pace of life.

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 05:48 AM
link   
I agree with LovingSoul, sometimes kids just need a break and this must be his way of having one. I ocassionally just sit in my bedroom with no lights on, it gives me a chance to think and unwind but unfortunatley i do not understand why your son is doing it...especially at the age of 2.

I suggest just keeping an eye on him to make sure he is ok.

[edit on 29-7-2008 by MrMillztar]

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 06:03 AM
link   
reply to post by hawaiigurl

Probably nothing to worry about, but if you feel really worried you might want to contact a professional. The thing is, kids do odd things all the time. My 2½ year old haven't done anything like that, but he sure does some other strange things. He doesn't speak yet either so communicating isn't the easiest thing.

My take on it is that as long as he's fine with it, ie not afraid or distressed in any way, and as long as it does not interfere with his sleep or daily rythm I'm sure it's fine. As long as he eats, sleeps, and plays, I wouldn't worry too much.

Who knows, when he starts speaking you might have a Dalai Lama or something on your hands.

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 06:34 AM
link   
I am no expert but my first thought would be that he probably either hasn't been sleeping to well or been having erratic sleeping patterns lately. He could be at that tired but restless, not able to sleep stage. That could definitly keep you in what looks like a trance like state. Another possibility, and I am not trying to worry you but just something to look out for is has he shown any signs of Autism? It can start to come on at that age and has been becoming a big prolem in our world today I heard a while back something like 1 in 5 children were suseptable. I had a friend who had an autistic child and he would do somethings that are similar. He is around the age where he should start speaking a little but thats not a givin but one possible sign. I would just say to educate yourself on the subject and keep an eye on the little guy, but I would put my money on him just having trouble sleeping well right now.

[edit on 29-7-2008 by 1Veritas]

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 07:38 AM
link   
On a bright note consider this...

maybe he is in some form of early meditation, trancelike. This would hopefully lead to an early boost to his "inner" thoughts and feelings.

Sounds like he's just "thinking" if you ask me. Experiencing himself.

Be prepared for a million questions when he learns to talk and don't be surprised at just where his ideas come from.

Good luck and try not to worry. Nature does amazing things sometimes.

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Have you had your child evaluated for autism? I don't mean to be an alarmist, but it could be one reason for the delay in language skills. I'd have him checked out just to be on the safe side.

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by nerbot
On a bright note consider this...

maybe he is in some form of early meditation, trancelike. This would hopefully lead to an early boost to his "inner" thoughts and feelings.

Sounds like he's just "thinking" if you ask me. Experiencing himself.

Be prepared for a million questions when he learns to talk and don't be surprised at just where his ideas come from.

Good luck and try not to worry. Nature does amazing things sometimes.

I may agree here.

If you meditate then try just sitting with you son on your lap in his space - not yours.
He has chosen this space to be in this state so join hima nd see what happens.
If you do not meditate that is ok too, sit in his room with him and watch his state of grace.
Young children often have access to higher understanding even though they do not know how to comprehend it, with you being with him it offers a state of acceptance for him and you and will help both of you.

Your son is already making this a "habit" and i use that term very loosley.
its a good habit :-) let it just happen and it will happen as it should.

Valorian

[edit on 29-7-2008 by Valorian]

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 08:02 AM
link   
maybe try and set up a webcam,so you can document what he's doing. maybe,if there is "something" there that he's looking at,you might just get it on film. They say that kids are very sensitive to stuff. maybe this is a case of that,maybe he's just a very smart lad,and likes to have something to stare at whilst his thoughts run rampant in his mind. Kind of like meditation. :0

Good luck,and don't worry. I'm sure your wee lad's just fine

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 08:27 AM
link   
I actually think i used to to do this sort of thing when i was little. I have a horrid memory and can't remember much from my childhood but as i read what you said i could actually remember myself doing something like this.
I would always go into my closet and stand or sit there with the door closed and i dunno just sit there i guess. I can't remember much of what my actions or thoughts would have been at the time and as strange as it seems, yer i think this is similar..
As a kid i was the one who was always "off with the faeries" and i would always just zone out and stare off into the distance and i sometimes still do.. Hmm i don't know about what the other poster said about autism - i have never been tested or anything although i would call myself a very shy person.. it's probably too early to tell with your son yet though i suppose..
I guess i have a vivid imagination - maybe your son has one of these as well?? I'm always going off on tangents in my mind with wild imaginings.. i'm also talented creatively - suggesting a reason for my active imagination.
I'm going to mention something that is extremely left-field and its very discussion has pretty much been beaten to a pulp on this site, although it's becoming increasingly widespread and it's an interesting topic nonetheless.. it's the concept of "Indigo children". I don't know why i should mention it but the thought just came to me and i don't even know if you really put that much stock in these sort of theories or explanations but as of now it's a completely off-the-wall idea that i felt like i had to put here.

Kepping in mind it may not be anything much at all and just your adult perspective on things getting carried away...

nice thread anyways
i hope to study psychology soon and better my understanding of these kinds of things..

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 09:47 AM
link   
your child sound normal, so hes not talking big deal, mine didnt talk for ages, (made up for it now though) i taught them sign to help with communicating needs, and you could try to communicate with him diferently, observing body language etc. with regards to his liking of darkness, it sounds very womb like to me the being contained in a small dark place, children at this age can sometimes still remember womb experience and do sometimes like to recreate the experience. also he may find the need to retreat into this space if he is experiencing a developmental leap, it would feel a safe place to him as developmental leaps can for children be very scary and often they will regress to a previous stage inorder to assimulate the experiences they encounter.

m x

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 10:18 AM
link   
As long as he seems happy and calm I wouldn't worry.

Although having a son the exact same age I certainly understand why you are concerned. Between him and the 4 year old any time the house gets quiet I immediately go into panic mode!

I think he is just exploring his environment and it's really good that he doesn't fear the dark.

My son likes to put his ear to the water when taking a bath and just listen. I think it has to do with sensory development.

One thing I discovered quickly as a parent is that they left out the instruction manual and a lot of times it feels like we are making it up as we go. The good thing though is that there are lots of parents to talk to about your experiences and that is reassuring.

Please keep us updated! This is very interesting!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join