It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 11:02 PM
link   
The Second Debate Tournament of 2008 is ready for sign ups.

Can you dethrone those who have fought there way to the top of the pile? Do you just want to tangle with the best of us and show why your voice needs to be heard?

Of course, do you wish to unseat our current Champion?

Now is your time to make a name for yourself...by signing up here for debate on the alternative issues that you signed up to discuss.

The second debate tournament of 2008 will begin in mid to late August. We can take up to 24 debaters. There should be plenty of spots, but sign up now as preference will be given based on experience. New debaters are on a first come first serve basis for spots not claimed by experienced debaters.

The tournament is seeded based on ranking, which is based largely on experience, so new debaters who wish to participate can benefit from arranging challenge matches now in order to gain ranking.

If you wish to participate, just say so in this thread, and make sure to check both this thread and the debate forum regularly for updates. I strongly recommend that participants add the debate forum to their MyATS display so that they will know when the debate threads are created and when their opponents respond.

Please consider whether or not you have the time to participate before you claim a spot. Debating is stimulating, but also demanding.

Debaters must respond to their opponent's posts within 24 hours. In my experience, a really good debate post takes between 1 and 3 hours to plan, research, and type up, depending on how tough your opponent is. Each round of the debate will require you to make 5 such posts within the space of 7-10 days. There will be 4 or 5 rounds, depending on how many fighters sign up.

That means that if you expect to win the tournament, you will need to devote at least 1 hour every other day for about 2 months. It is however a single elimination tournament, so realistically, most participants will only have to make that commitment for a couple of weeks.

There are many on this site who 'get it'. Now is your chance, in an organized setting, to prove that you have what it takes.

We are the foremost forum on this site for reasoned and civilized debate on every subject.

Bring your 'A game' and prove your voice should be heard.

For those without 'Fighter' designation' but wish to compete, post here and your designation will be given.

Please, only serious contenders only.

That said...let the games begin...

[edit on 29-7-2008 by MemoryShock]

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Ooh -- Fun! -- What could be better than rhetoric in the summer... Count me in!

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Considering my stellar record to date, I might as well join the fray.

Count me in!

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Count me in, but only if I get to debate the merits of fruity pebbles over chocolate pebbles at least once!

-Jason

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 01:08 AM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

I`m In!!! I have a score to settle...

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 04:26 AM
link   
Yall know im in
I need to get my rank above SKL, I don't know how the heck he got above me in the rankings just starting like he did. So im gonna have to give this tourney the full brute force of my feable mind!

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 04:36 AM
link   
Count me in

I just love a good debate

And BTW I plan on winning this time!!!!!

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 07:31 AM
link   
You know I'm getting in on this.

I've got redemption on my mind as I will seek to improve on my terribly disappointing early exit from the last tournament.

Excellent news!

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 07:37 AM
link   
I'll consider entering, if I can find a topic that I feel strongly enough about to debate. I'm not going to waste my time arguing a fallacy for no reason other than to argue.

Pray you don't come up against me. All of you.

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Sign me up! Can't wait!

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Great I have the next two months almost free, would love to test my skills against the people here on this site. What a challenge!!!! Count me in.

(Ps Who or how is the subject matter decided)

Peace

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

I am in

would have stayed in the last debate if i knew the Elections were going to be a failure :shk:

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by LestatG
(Ps Who or how is the subject matter decided)

The opponents will be determined based on the ranking system and the topics are determined by third party...meaning you won't know or choose what you'll be debating about.

From the looks of it, we have a very strong list of Fighters thus far.

And remember...we have a few weeks until we commence the tournament, so there is more than enough time for a Challenge Match to up your ranking...

I'll start a list of contenders in a bit...

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 10:55 AM
link   
OK, sounds great

Let battle commence!!

Cheers

Peace

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by MemoryShock
...meaning you won't know or choose what you'll be debating about.

See that is what worries me and one of the main reasons I have avoided applying for the debate forum.

'Ashley! You'll be arguing the pro position for why abortion is an excellent choice for birth control! Ashley! You'll be arguing the point Jesus was a false Messiah! Ashley! You'll be arguing the position that Obama will make the best president in U.S. history!'

Ok, seriously. It looks fun but like so much work. What if we wanted to challenge a fellow newbie to a practice debate? As in, if we just want to get our feet wet to see how it goes but aren't really interested in staying for the duration of the entire tournament. May I ask a fellow debate newbie if they are interested in a practice round?

I'm still really hesitant to get involved but is something like that acceptable? I don't even need fighter status- it's just something I would like to try as an experiment with another member who might want to test the waters before they enter as well. Is that ok? Not sure if that has ever been done before.

I don't really have the self confidence or fortitude to go round after round.

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD
'Ashley! You'll be arguing the pro position for why abortion is an excellent choice for birth control! Ashley! You'll be arguing the point Jesus was a false Messiah! Ashley! You'll be arguing the position that Obama will make the best president in U.S. history!'

We already have an ear and mind towards keeping the Fighters away from debating something they are totally against...within reason...

Fighters' Bill of Rights
No fighter may be assigned a position without his or her consent if arguing that position would constitute any of the following:
(1) Blasphemy or another religious offense.
(2) A violation of any law to which the fighter is subject.
(3) A violation of the verifiable rules of any other organization to which the fighter claims membership or affiliation.

No fighter may be assigned a position or topic without his or her consent which would be emotionally traumatic. This includes but is not limited to:
(1) Debate involving any type of abuse to which the fighter, the fighter's loved one, or the fighter's gender, ethnic group, nation, religion, etc has been subject.
(2) Debate involving a painful disability or adverse condition to which the fighter or the fighter's loved one is or has been subject.

Fighter Bill of Rights

I encourage every Fighter to review the above link, either for the first time or as a means to gain further familiarity with the forum rules.

Ok, seriously. It looks fun but like so much work. What if we wanted to challenge a fellow newbie to a practice debate?

You may do that...in the form of a challenge match. We are always open to challenge matches and encourage them, as a matter of fact.

Careful though...they are very addicting...

And I fear the day when you do have the self confidence...if your current insecurities provides ATS with this level of interaction...

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Hey Ashley, Ill be willing to have a practice debate with you.
Im a newbie too and would like to see how it goes and improve my skills(If any)!

I know you already (just look at my beautiful avatar)! and I respect you, so if you would like to pick a topic or if Memory Sock would like to designate one, I would be up for it.

Peace

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by MemoryShock
We already have an ear and mind towards keeping the Fighters away from debating something they are totally against...within reason...

hehe Yes I was kidding. Someone invited me to the debate forum several months ago and I mentioned the same thing as above as an excuse. What you just quoted is basically what they told me so I can't hide behind it anymore.

You may do that...in the form of a challenge match. We are always open to challenge matches and encourage them, as a matter of fact.

Ok, that sounds doable. I have to go out of town tomorrow so it won't be this week.

Lestat- since you're the only one in this thread without a current fighter status, if you are interested in a practice round, let me know. We can learn the ropes together.

Or anyone else willing to go toe to toe with me as a learning experience. No master champions, though. OK? Just newbies. I'm scared.

Anyways, thanks, MS. I'll think about it.

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by LestatG

Oh awesome! You replied while I was asking you. hehe Well, again, I have to go out of town starting tomorrow. Not sure how long I will be gone but next week sometime sounds good. I'll leave it up to you and MS to work out the details. Not sure at all how this works, how the topics are chosen/assigned, and who decides on the pro/con positions. Just let me know.

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Ok then seems we are on the same wave length, 'challenging' each other at the same time.

Whenever is good for you to start is cool.

Enjoy your trip

Peace

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join