It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Off-grid Colony

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 08:11 PM
link   
It's pretty obvious that the world is (forgive me George Carlin) goin down the tubes. The depression that America is entering, the corrupt governments, the stupid wars, police brutality, mindless masses, etc. etc.

Now I am wondering what would happen if a group of people got together and bought an island somewhere and started their own colony where they all just took care of each other tribal culture style. They wouldn't rely on the "mainland" for anything, would grow their own food and medicine, no currency all bartering and whatnot, not a government so to speak but more like a true democracy with maybe an elected triumvirate or something, very tolerant culture, and promoted peace, harmony, and unity.

Now I know that the mainland governments wouldn't care for this too much and would probably start propaganda against it calling it a cult or try an assassination or something and would probably try to take it over or disallow it somehow.

I would like to know what others here think and if anybody else likes the idea. It is something that I would like to see happen but I'm not sure exactly how to get the ball rolling. My thoughts were to go out and try to get support from people around the world by hitting up events like the Burning Man festival or something like that.

Anyway, I realize that it is most likely wishful thinking I would just like to know everyones thoughts.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Do you have any idea how much money an Island will cost?

I live on an Island myself, a pretty reasonable sized Island I might add. You would need a decent sized one to sustain a group of people, obviously the group size would determine the Island size.

Living on Islands presents lots of different things and ways of living to those that live on the mainland.

All the Islands that are in the ideal locations are already snapped up.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Yes I am aware that it would be quite costly but a guy can dream can't he?

Anyway, I think that if you got enough people to support it, you could make it happen. Besides, I'm sure that more people would donate money to the cause then would like to live there.

And for the people who would like to live there it would be the last money they would ever need.

As for the good islands being taken, well.....I don't know I would have to check it out some more

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 08:50 PM
link   
You will want from an Island:-

Fresh water, Farming land, woodland, accessible beaches (preferably tidal), not too windswept, ideally somewhere temperate, no nasties (some islands are snake infested), somewhere not too remote that no supply boats can get to it, have some high land as a lot of islands are pretty flat and low lying.

There are plenty of Islands in the Southern Ocean, but the constant wind and rain would drive one insane.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Actually I had thought of everything you listed. I'm not looking to start this right away so I haven't looked into any specific islands.

Right now I'm just wondering what the ATS community thinks of this idea.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I'll go.february I can have 8,500$ ready

new topics

top topics

join