It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

John McCain's record of voting AGAINST our troops

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 04:49 PM
link   
10/2003: McCain voted to TABLE a vote for $1 Billion for National Guard and Reserve Equipment in Iraq dueto:shortage of helmets, tents, bullet-proof inserts, & tactical vests.
10/2003

10/2003: McCain voted to TABLE an amendment for $322,000,000 for safety equipment for USforces.
10/2003

3/2004: McCain voted AGAINST increasing Vet-medical care by $1.8 billion.
3/2004

3/2006: McCain voted AGAINST increasing Vet-medical services $1.5 billion in FY2007.
3/2006

5/2006: McCain voted AGAINST $20 Million to VA for health care facilities.
5/2006

4/2006: McCain voted AGAINST $430,000,000 to Veteran's Affairs for Medical Services.
4/2006

9/2007: McCain voted AGAINST bill to minimize periods of time between deployment of units sent to Iraq.
9/2007

Source:
thepoliticalcarnival.blogspot.com...

And the absolute most damning off all: John McCain came out against the Webb 21st Century GI Bill that would extend the benefits post-WW2 soldiers received to those who served post-9/11. Apparently he feels our troops aren't worth taking care of back home. When the actual vote came up, he was one of only three senators to skip (the other being Tom Coburn and Tedd Kennedy, the latter being incapacitated due to health).

Where was McCain during this important vote? Holding a fund raiser in California. Talk about political gains...

For a man who claims to always be there for the troops, his record shows otherwise.

When asked about his non-vote on the Bill, McCain got defensive and stated this:

As a matter of fact I received the highest award from literally every veteran’s organization in America.

Watch it right here

Turns out that is a blatant lie.

— Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America gave McCain a grade of D for his record of voting against veterans. (By contrast, Obama got a B+.)

– Disabled Veterans of America noted McCain’s dismal 20 percent voting record on veterans’ issues. (Obama had an 80 percent.)

– In a list of “Key Votes,” Vietnam Veterans of America (VVA) notes McCain “Voted Against Us” 15 times and “Voted For Us” only 8. (Obama voted for VVA 12 times, and against only once.)

So if you're wondering why Obama didn't visit troops in Germany, ask yourself why McCain has voted against our veterans consistently (or apparently not felt it was important enough to vote for them at all). Ask yourself why several Veterans organizations give him an extremely low rating, even while he says otherwise.

[edit on 28-7-2008 by evanmontegarde]

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by evanmontegarde

At least give your source material some credit. As far as I can tell, all of the research was done by DailyKos back in February. But otherwise, I guess since its only a 50-50 cut-and-paste of Dem talking points, no problem. Carry on.

Daily Kos article

Granted, the grammatical errors in the list itself correspond exactly to one on Obama's website:

Article

Note that the article on Obama's site was posted today. Nice. Posting talking points straight off a candidate's official website with no citation of that fact.

[edit on 28-7-2008 by vor78]

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 06:38 PM
link   
This wouldn't make a whole lot of sence. McCain has two sons in the Marine Corps. Why would he want to mess with their benefits? And why would he mess with his own benefits from having served himself? I'm confused here...

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 06:39 PM
link   
I actually got it from this website:

thepoliticalcarnival.blogspot.com...

Which I indeed forgot to credit. I haven't seen the DailyKos or that Obama blog before.

Are you denying that official Senate website voting records are citations of the facts? If www.senate.gov can't be trusted, then who can?

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Echo3Foxtrot

I have not researched all of them, but my guess is that there were alternate bills that McCain DID support. That's true of the GI Bill he mentions as 'the absolute most damning off all'. And while you can argue the relative merits of the two, I think the fact there's simply no mention of the one McCain supported tells you all you need to know.

They're probably just Dem talking points, that's all. That shouldn't stop anyone from researching the facts further, but most likely, there's more to each of these than is being presented.

[edit on 28-7-2008 by vor78]

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by vor78

Thanks for that. Clears it up a little, I'm looking in to it a little more in depth, or as much as I can during work hours.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Very misleading. The way bills are packed with pork and earmarks it is hard to tell what exactly what a Congressman or Senator is voting for or against.

McCain has stated that he will veto any bill packed with earmarks. If you are for a bill for the troops it shouldn't have a million dollar earmark for something like a Woodstock museum.

McCain had a better GI Bill, so him voting against an inferior one is reasonable.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Its probably been mentioned already, but there are a lot and by a lot I mean A LOT of earmarks attached to a lot of these bills.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I guess that means he's lying when he talks about his support for veterans?

just a thought...

new topics

top topics

join