It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush gave N.Korea $95M....where's the PRESS?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2003 @ 09:57 AM
link   
I have not heard any mention of the fact that Bush gave North Korea, after he put them in the Axis of Evil, $95M for NUKE REACTORS and WAIVED THE INSPECTION CLAUSE, in the American media, during this 'stand-off'.
Still think there isn't a vast Right Wing Conspiracy!?!?

Bush Memo Posted On Official White House Web Site
April 2, 2002

Memorandum to the Secretary of State
Presidential Determination No. 2002-12
April 1, 2002

SUBJECT: U.S. Contribution to the Korean Peninsula Energy Development Organization Determination Regarding Funds Under the Heading "Nonproliferation, Anti-Terrorism, Demining and Related Programs" in Title II of the Foreign Operations, Export Financing, and Related Programs Appropriations Act, 2002 (public Law 107-115) Pursuant to the authority vested in me by section 565(c) of the Foreign Operations, Export Financing, and Related Programs Appropriations Act, 2002 (public Law 107-115) (the "Act"), I hereby determine that it is Vital to the national security interests of the United States to furnish Up to $95 million in funds made available under the heading "Nonproliferation, Anti-Terrorism, Demining and Related Programs" of that Act, for assistance to KEDO, and, therefore, I hereby waive the requirement in section 565(b) to certify that:

(1) the parties to the Agreed Framework have taken and continue to take demonstrable steps to implement the Joint Declaration on Denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula;

(2) North Korea is complying with all provisions of the Agreed Framework; and

(3) The United States is continuing to make significant progress on eliminating the North Korean ballistic missile threat, including further missile tests and its ballistic missile exports. You are hereby authorized and directed to report this determination and the accompanying Memorandum of Justification to the Congress, and to arrange for publication of this determination in the Federal Register.

GEORGE W. BUSH

www.whitehouse.gov...

"The US Government has announced that it will release $95m to North Korea as part of an agreement to replace the Stalinist country's own nuclear programme, which the US suspected was being misused. Under the 1994 Agreed Framework an international consortium is building two proliferation-proof nuclear reactors and providing fuel oil for North Korea while the reactors are being built.In releasing the funding, President George W Bush waived the Framework's requirement that North Korea allow inspectors to ensure it has not hidden away any weapons-grade plutonium from the original reactors...."These reactors are like all reactors, They have the potential to make weapons. So you might end up supplying the worst nuclear violator with the means to acquire the very weapons we're trying to prevent it acquiring," [the head of the Non-proliferation Policy Education Centre in Washington] told the Far Eastern Economic Review. --BBC, 04.03.02"

news.bbc.co.uk...

"North Korea has challenged President Bush to stop calling it part of the "axis of evil" by agreeing to resume dialogue with the US on the condition that it is not "slandered" again....As an apparent positive gesture, the White House is reported to have agreed to release $95m (��67m) to North Korea under the agreement reached in 1994 to replace the country's nuclear power programme. Mr Bush has waived the requirement that international inspectors should examine North Korea's nuclear research facilities first.... Although the US will not apologise for the "axis of evil" label, renewed tension in the Korean peninsula would hardly serve its interests at a time of crises elsewhere. --Guardian, 04.04.02"

www.guardian.co.uk...

posted on Jan, 8 2003 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Perhaps you can read worse than I can...and thus DESERVE A MORON AWARD!!!!

Bout Time....this article says that the "at most 95 million dollars" (so not even necissarily all that much) will be given only if it is being used to convert nuclear weapons and such into peaceful purposes such as nuclear power plants.

And dismantling ballistic missiles.

It is no more than a Grant, where if N. Korea does not follow through, they don't see any of the money.

Picture it as Bush bribing the foriegn nationals, now I don't know how effective it is, but its not "under the table" funds to start world war 3....I'm afraid you'll have to look elsewhere.

Oh and while you're at it...where are the guidelines and frame works to this "grant"?

(2) North Korea is complying with all provisions of the Agreed Framework

That would surely clear things up.

Sincerely,
no signature

posted on Jan, 8 2003 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Timeline:

Jan/2002: Bush declares North Korea Axis of Evil member

April/2002: Bush releases $95M to North Korea, paid in full with no inspection clause to be enforced, stating that the decision was "vital to the national security interests of the United States".

Dec/2002: North Korea - "Thanks for the money sucker! We got the NUKEs, ain't no Inspectors ever coming up in here and you can kiss my KimChee lovin' azz, Dubya!!!
- Kim Jong-il

As for the framework Dim Son Bush mentioned in his memo, that would be the 1994 Agreement.

Better hold off on that award...it seems you didn't know that this was a passed event - the money's spent and your Squatter-in-Chief has a BIGGER fish on the line in North Korea than the hostile corporate take over of Iraqi oil.

posted on Jan, 8 2003 @ 10:46 AM
link   
...to get you up to speed. Funny how the Bushies let it slide for Six Months to inquire on the status of things in NK after dropping $95M, no?

BBC News Online charts the build-up of tension since North Korea's reported disclosure of a secret nuclear weapon programme.
3-5 October: On a visit to the North Korean capital Pyongyang, US Assistant Secretary of State James Kelly presses the North on suspicions that it is continuing to pursue a nuclear energy and missiles programme.

Mr Kelly says he has evidence of a secret uranium-enriching programme carried out in defiance of the 1994 Agreed Framework.

Under this deal, North Korea agreed to forsake nuclear ambitions in return for the construction of two safer lightwater nuclear power reactors and oil shipments from the US.

16 October: The US announces that North Korea admitted in their talks to a secret nuclear arms programme.

Mercurial: North Korean leader Kim Jong-il
17 October: Initially the North appears conciliatory. Leader Kim Jong-il says he will allow international weapons inspectors to check that nuclear facilities are out of use. Meanwhile, on 18 October, five Japanese citizens abducted by North Korea 25 years before are allowed a brief visit home - but end up staying, provoking more tension in the region.

20 October: North-South Korea talks in Pyongyang are undermined by the North's nuclear programme "admission".

US Secretary of State Colin Powell says further US aid to North Korea is now in doubt.

The North adopts a mercurial stance, at one moment defiantly defending its "right" to weapons development and at the next offering to halt nuclear programmes in return for aid and the signing of a "non-aggression" pact with the US.

It argues that the US has not kept to its side of the Agreed Framework, as the construction of the lightwater reactors - due to be completed in 2003 - is now years behind schedule.

14 November: US President George W Bush declares November oil shipments to the North will be the last if the North does not agree to put a halt to its weapons ambitions.

Rumsfeld says he won't be distracted by Iraq
18 November: Confusion clouds a statement by North Korea in which it initially appears to acknowledge having nuclear weapons. A key Korean phrase understood to mean the North does have nuclear weapons could have been mistaken for the phrase "entitled to have", Seoul says.

27 November: The North accuses the US of deliberately misinterpreting its contested statement, twisting an assertion of its "right" to possess weapons into an "admission" of possession.

4 December: The North rejects a call to open its nuclear facilities to inspection.

11 December: North Korean-made Scud missiles are found aboard a ship bound for Yemen, provoking American outrage.

The US detains the ship, but is later forced to allow the ship to go, conceding that neither country has broken any law.

12 December: The North threatens to reactivate nuclear facilities for energy generation, saying the Americans' decision to halt oil shipments leaves it with no choice. It blames the US for wrecking the 1994 pact.

13 December: North asks the UN's International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) to remove seals and surveillance equipment - the IAEA's "eyes and ears" on the North's nuclear status - from its Yongbyon power plant.

22 December: The North begins monitoring devices from the Yongbyon plant.

23 December: The US Defence Secretary Donald Rumsfeld warns Pyongyang that the US will not be distracted from North Korea by the situation in Iraq.

24 December: North Korea begins repairs at the Yongbyon plant.

North-South Korea talks over reopening road and rail border links, which have been struggling on despite the increased tension, finally stall.

25 December: It emerges that North Korea had begun shipping fuel rods to the Yongbyon plant which could be used to produce plutonium.

26 December: After UN confirmation that 1,000 fuel rods had been moved to the Yongbyon reactor, the head of the International Atomic Energy Agency, Mohamed El Baradei, expressed deep concern saying the plant "can be directly used to manufacture nuclear weapons - and there again we have no way to verify the nature of the activity".

27 December: North Korea says it is expelling the two IAEA nuclear inspectors from the country. It also says it is planning to reopen a reprocessing plant, which could start producing weapons grade plutonium within months.

31 December: The United Nations inspectors ordered out of North Korea left the country and arrive in the Chinese capital Beijing.

2 January: South Korea asks China to use its influence with North Korea to try to reduce tension over the nuclear issue.

3 January: South Korea offers to mediate between Washington and Pyongyang.

4 January: Russia says it will try to persuade North Korea to abandon its nuclear programme.

6 January: The IAEA passes a resolution demanding that North Korea readmit UN inspectors and abandon its secret nuclear weapons programme "within weeks", or face possible action by the UN Security Council.

7 January

US says it is "is willing to talk to North Korea about how it meets its obligations to the international community". But it "will not provide quid pro quos to North Korea to live up to its existing obligations".

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jan, 8 2003 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Nice timeline, but what are the conditons on the 95 million dollars, N. K. only gets it if they jump through some hoops. Is that in the time line, did i miss it?

Under this deal, North Korea agreed to forsake nuclear ambitions in return for the construction of two safer lightwater nuclear power reactors and oil shipments from the US.

That's interesting, but it's from 1994 meaning it was during the Clinton Administration? Does this mean Clinton is evil and facist too? Because the N. Koreans did not just become bad after 9/11 they have always been abusive and less than democratic.

Sincerely,
no signature

[Edited on 8-1-2003 by FreeMason]

posted on Jan, 8 2003 @ 11:01 AM
link   
You still have things muddled; the $95M was paid in full in April of 2002. The 1994 agreement established aide and energy resources for being a good little commie nation. The energy was oil shipments and the building of nuclear reactors ( the non-boom-boom bad kind) which haven't been completed yet.
Any Dictatorship is bad, what's your point?
Again, the BBC timeline is soley from the "hey what you guys been up to? Oh crap!" point in Oct./2002 and not all encompassing going back to our fathers Korean War.

posted on Jan, 8 2003 @ 11:06 AM
link   
My point is the Clinton administration was giving similar aid that Bush is giving now. But you are being selective in slapping Bush's wrists but not Clinton's.

Sincerely,
no signature

posted on Jan, 8 2003 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Completely different circumstances, come on, that's obvious. Just by virtue of
a) Declaring an Axis membership
b) Stating a preemptive strike doctrine
c) Paying $95M AFTER all that
d) and continuing to bury his head in the sand hoping it will go away while they have at least two NUKEs, 30,000 + Americans in slingshot distance and focusing this massive build up against Iraq when NOTHING HAS BEEN PROVEN to their membership in terrorism against us on 9/11 OR POSSESION of Nukes or chem/bio weapons and a dilvery system....is a good starting point on why GW is being focused on here.

posted on Jan, 8 2003 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I apologize for the off-thread remark, we can eventually start a new topic if needed.

Of late, it seems as though Above Top Secret has evolved into a "Free Mason against most everyone else" forum. I've noticed a recent rise in the message activity from Mr. Mason, and while I have not had the opportunity to read all of the posts (and I apologize in advance if I've come to the wrong conclusion), there seems to be a definite effort to undermine discussion through disagreement, solely for disagreement's sake.

For example, in this thread, Mason argues a point obviously unrelated to the intent of the original post. And, in the message threads I've been able to read lately, I see a similar trend when Mason is involved... and he is involved in a great deal of threads.

What are your motives Free Mason?

posted on Jan, 8 2003 @ 12:07 PM
link   
My motives Winston are these "Bush is evil threads, here look at his nazi//N. K. crap" are a bunch of unresearched hear-say. They find a sight that is someone elses opinion and take it as gospel.

If you'll please look you'll notice the recent rise in the number of "Bush is evil" posts, that has gone nearly completely un-noticed by anyone but me, and the Anti-bushies.

I'm not doing anything for Arguments sake winston, I think you should just read over everything you missed first, before pointing fingers at me, when it is really all Kano's fault.

Oh yeah, that stupid "Million rounds per minute gun" too, that also set me off, only a retard can think that gun has any value.

"Hey let's waste ALL our ammo on blowing up incomming missiles when we have a laser research program for that!"

It's like a bunch of adolecent girls getting excited by Brittney Spears. No one wants to listen to logistics, they just buy into the hype.

Sincerely,
no signature

posted on Jan, 8 2003 @ 12:10 PM
link   
THIS IS GOING TO FAR!

I most certainly AM remaining on topic. Until I read your claim that I am not winston I was going to pass you off as just not reading anything.

Now I'm pissed!

You are all ignorant in thinking that looking at ALL THE FACTS is being OFF topic.

Stop with your "Bash Freemason weekend"
Sincerely,
no signature

(I have edited your post - please review our Terms And Conditions Of Use policy. Freemason - please settle down)

[Edited on 8-1-2003 by Bob88]

posted on Jan, 8 2003 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Thank you for your response.

You will notice that, while certainly provoked, I have not lowered my self to slinging insults.

I believe we have encountered your motives. Indeed, thank you.

posted on Jan, 8 2003 @ 12:48 PM
link   
You have no reason to, you've not been publically humiliated after having been a respected and quite appreciated poster after many months.

So shut the hell up and get back to catching up on your reading, before judging me.

Sincerely,
no signature

top topics

join