It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm drowning in cucumbers and squash!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 03:44 PM
link   
We have our little veggie patch going this season, and we decided to grow cucumbers and squash (something we haven't done in awhile).

Holy hell, I was not prepared for the amazing number of cucumbers coming in every week.

This isn't even half of the total number of cucumbers we have brought in so far (still full of little ones just starting to grow).

Besides making pickles (which is happening soon for some of these guys), what are our other options?

Is immediate consumption the only option for them, or can some of this excess be stored for any length of time?

---

Once again, this is the number of squash after some have been used and/or given to friends/neighbors.

Same questions apply: Any wonderful long-term storage/use for these big guys? They taste wonderful...but you can only cook with so many squash.

Lesson this year: With a small area and nothing fancier than a trickle hose...much food can be grown.

Also, cucumber plants are gigantic and they should not go in front of peppers or beans. Big ol' sun hogs.

Some shots of other goodies and the planting area for an idea of size.

Some beans, peppers and a few two different kinds of tomatoes (many more coming in).

---

Here we have some tomatoes. You can't see all of them; these are coming in well this year too.

---

This is where some of the squash and the peppers came from.

---

And that is the area used (cucumbers are over five feet, and can get much bigger apparently.

It is barely any space used at all. The other gardens are growing some monster herbs, pumpkins and watermellon --but that takes up even less space.

A bit reassuring that such a small area can do such a steller job.

[edit on 7/28/0808 by spines]

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 03:49 PM
link   
More people should grow their own food. Those veggies look good.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I'm sorry half way through reading your post I had to have some salad eating it right now.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by spines

There are so many things you could do with the excess vegetables. You could can or freeze them for healthy nutritious meals in the winter. You could sell them at a farmers market. You could donate the excess vegetables to a food pantry so that needy children can get the nutrition they need inorder to thrive. You can give them to neighbors. Which might inspire your neighbors to start their own gardens and supply you with a few vegetables you might not have thought to grow. I am happy you had an excellent harvest!

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I agree, good to grow a few veg plants in your own garden. I have so many apple in Aug/Sep (eating and cooking) I take a couple of buckets full to all the neighbours in my street. They then drop off to me plums/nectarines or whatever they have too may of.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 03:57 PM
link   
SWIM, MAN, SWIM! Who's got the lifeline?

Seriously, great crop! You've got a real green thumb there (and I love how you used small spaces). I can't add anything eradown hasn't already said, just couldn't resist replying to that title.

TheRedneck

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by eradown

Thanks for the suggestions, but I guess my question was more along the lines of: Are there any specific processes for storing the cucumbers and squash?

Those peppers won't last long and the tomatoes didn't make it past the picture.

[edit on 7/28/0808 by spines]

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 04:00 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure you might know somebody who is in need?
or simply be a nice neighbor and give some of your bumper crop away

Still eating some salad as I type.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

The neighbors turn away our cucumbers...they have already recieved many. Squash too.

Can you can a cucumber (or squash)?

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by spines

Tomatoes can be frozen and made into sauces which can be canned or frozen. Peppers can also be frozen.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by spines
reply to post by SLAYER69

The neighbors turn away our cucumbers...they have already recieved many. Squash too.

Can you can a cucumber (or squash)?

I am pretty sure that cucumbers and squash can be canned.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by spines

I don't think so but man can my Fiance cook and do mad things with them mmmmm...

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Cucumbers can actually be made into a rather nice preserve.

Or, for extra-specialness, there is a traditional Persian recipe for cucumber preserve which involves treating them with slaked lime until transparent adding rosewater to the preserve. I can't find it on google, but I can dig out the recipe if you email me directly....

Also: www.recipe-ideas.co.uk...

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by spines

wow! what the devil did you prepare the soil with?

I know only too well that feeling of 'if i see another (insert name of veg here) i'll bloody scream'...i'm about to be inundated with tomatoes from my folks' allotment in return for my spade-labours, i can't wait!

chutneys and pickles are always a good way to preserve excess...I'll see if I can get some W.I. competition-standard reciepes from my folks for you

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 04:38 PM
link   
For the cukes you might want to try maing cucumbers and onions in a sugar and vinegar brine... I add a bit of cracked pepper to ours. You can cold-pack them just as you would when pickling and they'll last on a shelf just as long.

You'll want to use a slicing cuke as pictured in your post above. I prefer to use a good sweet onion such as Vidalias... or similar. It's done using 2 parts sugar to one part vinegar, and you'll want to salt the sliced cukes and let them stand a bit before processing. It helps to draw out the juices and make the finished product that much better. Add a bit of cracked pepper to each jar and I think you'll find them quite tasty.

Hope this helps!

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by spines

Your squash look great.I dehydrate my summer squash,grind it to a powder and use it for seasoning and soup stock. It works very well in spagatti sauce to as it takes the bitterness out of the tomatoes.
The cukes could be mixed with some tomatoes,onion and squash and turned into a relish.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Make some pickles. They will last a long time after canning.

If you have more than you can eat, donate to your local food bank. They would luv to have fresh produce to pass out.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Thank you all for the suggestions. I have some reading and preparing/cooking to do.

Some of those squash recipes look pretty good.

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 03:18 PM
link   
are you preparing for the next load of crops...dropping loads of animal waste...its fun

new topics

top topics

join