Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

NEWS: USDA: No Mad Cow Testing Allowed

page: 1

join

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 12:16 PM
link   

According to this article featured in Unknowncountry.com, it was reported by Scott Kilman of the Wall Street Journal, that the USDA will not allow meat packers to test their own meat because it will imply that beef not tested by these procedures is not safe. If Private meat companies wish to test their own meat for safety, then what's wrong with that?

"Private companies should be able to test if they want," says Michael Levine, of Organic Valley. "I think the USDA is just petrified of finding more instances of BSE." Creekstone Farms Premium Beef wanted to build its own Mad Cow testing laboratory, but the USDA warned them they couldn't do any testing without government approval. Creekstone usually ships its beef to Japan, which is now rejecting all untested beef.

There is only one U.S. laboratory that can test for Mad Cow in Ames, Iowa. Last year, USDA scientists send samples there from only one out of every 1,700 cows. Each test takes several weeks, and there are no tests that work on live cattle. Private laboratories say they can do the same tests in only a few hours.

USDA: No Mad Cow Testing Allowed

[Edited on 12-3-2004 by Ocelot]

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 12:22 PM
link   
hmmmm....that's a little strange isn't it? So we should not test cows, because of what? the effect on the meat industry or the effect on people? Good thing I don't eat beef!

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I don't see any confirmation of it. Instead, from Yahoo, I see plans for the Feds to INCREASE testing for Mad Cow Disease:

story.news.yahoo.com.../ap/20040309/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/mad_cow_1

However, it does take awhile to get test result:

To make such an expansion work, the department would have to approve a rapid test that could be done in regional or state labs and provide results within four to six hours. The current testing is done at the National Veterinary Services Laboratories in Ames, Iowa, and can take a couple of weeks. That lab is currently the only U.S. facility authorized to test for BSE.

They may be banning small packers from individual testing because of the unreliability. You'd want labs that were monitored and tested freqently by outside agencies (so nobody takes bribes and misreports results.)

There's lawsuits over some conflicting reports on the last case of Mad Cow Disease:
story.news.yahoo.com.../ap/20040304/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/mad_cow_6

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 12:25 PM
link   
If small meat packers wish to test their meat for safety I dont see what the problem is really.

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 01:58 PM
link   
If private meat companies are allowed to test their own meat they may be able to get past inspections by having supposedly "tested" it themselves.

Don't think for a second that a company will do something in the best interests of the people over the best interests of the company.

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I urge you all to become vegetarian. I've done it. The chances of getting mad cow are very small, but we get so much meat, so often, that every bite increases the fatality rate.

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 02:10 PM
link   
As Dennis Leary said it. Not eating meat is a decission, eating meat is an instinct...

top topics

join