It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are people in Blighty losing their marbles?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 01:13 PM
link   
What is going on in the UK?

For some time now I have noticed a surprising amount of negativity and despair coming out of members from the UK. We read in different threads about how they are not allowed to defend themselves in street fights, how they are having their guns taken away, how fox hunting is fighting for it's life, how there are security cameras everywhere, and now this . . .

ca.news.yahoo.com...

"Beer sales in pubs are now at their lowest level since the Great Depression of the 1930s -- down seven million pints a day from the height of the market in 1979.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Truth is,most of us didn't have any marbles to start with

I foundsome once,but I traded them in for magic beans.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by ipsedixit

What is going on in the UK?

For some time now I have noticed a surprising amount of negativity and despair coming out of members from the UK. We read in different threads about how they are not allowed to defend themselves in street fights, how they are having their guns taken away, how fox hunting is fighting for it's life, how there are security cameras everywhere, and now this . . .

ca.news.yahoo.com...

"Beer sales in pubs are now at their lowest level since the Great Depression of the 1930s -- down seven million pints a day from the height of the market in 1979.

Beer is as expensive as petrol in the UK and the no-smoking ban has also played a part in lower beer sales.

As for guns, that law came in years ago and it was for handguns which were never carried anyway in the streets and were not for self-defence - Rifles and shotguns can still be owned.

Since the fox hunting ban (with dogs) the hunting scene has actually had an upsurge of membership and hunts are far more healthy than they have ever been.

CCTV cameras are normally only in the City centres, not everywhere.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Acidtastic

I thought the government had banned magic beans. Maybe all is not lost in the UK after all. You didn't start the fire on the pier at Weston-Super-Mare, did you? You seem a little too relaxed to me to be paying proper attention to the fat fryers.

England's problem is that it doesn't have the soccer hooligans pointed in the right direction.

[edit on 28-7-2008 by ipsedixit]

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 01:41 PM
link   
it's not the regular people it's the media making it look like everything is in termoil. I'm actually supprised we haven't had a 'WEATHER WARNING!!!' for the unusual 2 days 30 degrees sun we've had over the past couple of days

PS I'm sure if we'd lost our marbles the numerous CCTV cameras would find them asap ;P

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 01:45 PM
link   
beer sales might be related to the smoking ban, since it came in I don't drink in pubs nearly as much, i drink at home where i can smoke!!

Couple that with everyone having less money due to our lovely tax/vat system, constant surveillance, oppression of free speech, fuel prices that are ruining people, runaway gangs of violent kids, corrupt MP's, bent coppers and so on the UK is a s**thole these days and now I cannot leave without been fingerprinted

Bring on the Revolution.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wotan
Beer is as expensive as petrol in the UK and the no-smoking ban has also played a part in lower beer sales.

This is all the fault of the real ale movement.

They should start serving swill in the UK, like they do here in North America. Yes, discriminating drinkers can still find good beer, but the average pub goer should at least have access to cheap swill. He can then start the evening with England's best and then when all the girls in the pub start to look good, he can switch over to the swill. That's the way we do it over here.

Actually, Wotan, the situation as you describe it, doesn't seem that bad over there. I was in the UK in 1975 and thought it was fantastic. Had a great time there. London was awesome and people were great. I hate to think of the place as declining.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by ipsedixit

When I was a barman our real ales actualy made the pub more profitable, its lack of cash, no smoking, in my opinion, that is killing the pub buisness.
You do get swill, its called tennents lager

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 02:07 PM
link   
No, we're just drinking more cider because of increased advertising in cider compared to beer and lager.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Well I don't know about any other Brits, but I carry weapons on me at all times, I make and prepare my own mace too.

There is no damn way in HELL I am EVER giving up any weapons I own, Freedom is the right to bear arms in ANY country and in BlackMumba land that's the way it's going to stay

If I want to smoke anywhere OUTSIDE in the air I can bloody well do so , the government doesn't own the air

I may have to live in this country but I won't have my freedoms taken away from me even if that means physically defending them.

I think Charlton Heston said it the best "From my cold dead hands"

/rant

[edit on 28-7-2008 by BlackMumba]

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by beefeater

The "no smoking" thing in Toronto has also had an effect in pubs and restaurants, but not as serious as it seems to be over there.

I think one of the UK's problems is similar to one of the US's problems. They are putting too much money into the military and then spending the money overseas in places like Afghaniraq. I know the money is "spent" locally in military contractors establishments, but that is not enough.

They should beef up the military and then lay mock seige to a different British city each month, billeting the troops there and spending all cash locally. That way militarism and rampant fascism can have some real benefit. Also the defense forces can learn to re-take every British town in the event of a real attack.

The army should be on constant manoeuvres and be spending money locally, constantly. That's the way Mussolini did it. The key is not to screw up by going to war.

Of course one of the troubles with having the military constantly on manoeuvre in civilian areas is that an occasional unavoidable mishap may occur, as in the following video:

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Supermarkets have been having deals on the '24 lager packs wich works out cheaper than going to a pub where you can't even have a ciggie.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Original_Sin
Supermarkets have been having deals on the '24 lager packs wich works out cheaper than going to a pub where you can't even have a ciggie.

My father makes his own ale and spirits, you should do the same, it is cheaper, and a fun experiment too, plus you can stock it up

[edit on 28-7-2008 by BlackMumba]

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by BlackMumba

The American satirist, P.J. O'Rourke, said it best. He said words to the effect that, a man has only one right, the right to do anything he damn well pleases and only one responsibility, the responsibility to take the consequences.

For a smart and careful person the consequences of carrying a weapon are not hard to take.

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 02:08 AM
link   
Look at the number of UFO sightings in the UK...any link between the losing marbles and finding more marbles in the sky?

I'm not really sure but I do know I noticed the knifing went up as the ufos showed up, but I might be wrong.

People are people and one day you'll find your best friend turning into some wild person. Maybe it is the moon? Changing in the weather? Not sure...but something is happening and not just in one area.

new topics

top topics

join