It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Digital TV

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 10:17 AM
link   
I do not watch to much television but for the past year it seems like every time I turn it on with in the first couple of commercial breaks there is someone telling me that I'm going to lose my signal February of 2009 if I don't have the converter box.

I understand them not wanting to lose TV viewers because we equal money to them. What really makes me question is that local and national government is the one pushing it as a public safety problem. www.ntia.doc.gov...

I live in the greater Sacramento area, is this happening in your neck of the woods?

[edit on 28-7-2008 by thirdeyeflight]

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I believe it's a "safety" concern, because they are selling those airwaves to the military, so technically older analog antennas will be picking up military signals (although I assume they will be encrypted). That may or may not be final though.

Also, the "digital converter box" is unnecessary unless you are watching TV via antenna.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 10:55 AM
link   
the thing is that digital is also less reliable.

here in the UK we have had digital for a while now. every time there is a storm or any kind of heavy atmospheric conditions ...we lose the signal.

that never used to happen with the old system...

seems a bit strange the conversion to digital....

snoopyuk

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by scientist

I'm not fully up to speed on the whole upgrade thing since I recently bought a fancy flat, techno, HD, all the bells and wistles, TV. But where can I get more info on the military using our old airwaves? What is your source?

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Its a huge safety problem to about a million old people who cannot afford cable or sattelite service. Reason being that is they will not recieve weather alerts or nuclear war alerts on the good ole rabbit ears, instead of taking cover in the bathtub granpa will be rocking in the easy chair remarking on how much it is storming outside instead of taking cover.
reply to post by thirdeyeflight

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Where I live we are going to go digital before the rest of the country. I think it's a bit weird because we live in a coastal town. I mean who thought it would be a good idea to go digital during hurricane season?!! What if some big storm comes in? I'm sure half the people who live here don't know that we are going to be going digital before everyone else!

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by thirdeyeflight
I do not watch to much television but for the past year it seems like every time I turn it on with in the first couple of commercial breaks there is someone telling me that I'm going to lose my signal February of 2009 if I don't have the converter box.

I understand them not wanting to lose TV viewers because we equal money to them. What really makes me question is that local and national government is the one pushing it as a public safety problem. www.ntia.doc.gov...

I live in the greater Sacramento area, is this happening in your neck of the woods?

[edit on 28-7-2008 by thirdeyeflight]

ha, sacramento isnt that great, lived there for 11 years

i think this is nation wide? as i see the same thing in WA here about old TV sets

most of the commercials show really old sets, so to say that alot of tv's arent compatible i think is a farce

i also have comcast cable which can make it ok for someone with an older TV to watch TV still

ok sac isnt so bad, still have tons of friends there

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 12:11 PM
link   
the thing is that digital is also less reliable.

here in the UK we have had digital for a while now. every time there is a storm or any kind of heavy atmospheric conditions ...we lose the signal.

that never used to happen with the old system...

seems a bit strange the conversion to digital....

snoopyuk

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I've been on digital since it first came out. Weather hasn't affected the signal, but I don't watch TV much. We also have satelite and when it rains the signal goes off. The satelite installer had a hard time finding a location for the dish to get the signal and we had to chop a big tree down. The cable company running the digital also tells us our signal isn't as strong as it could be.

A few months ago the cable/ digital serice called to check on the service. He started changing the settings while on the phone with him, while at the same time suggesting an in home service call, that I said I didn't want. As he did this channels went down, and he said "that tells me you need a service call now". But I said it worked fine until you started changing things. He screwed my TV up so bad, I had to have the guy come out. The guy on the phone also told me I need to change to a new box, because Motorolla was going out of business and they were phasing them out. That's what he said anyways. But I still have motorolla digital box and it's tiny now. The guy came and also without prior notice, asked were my computer was because he had to change that little box too. But I see I still have motorolla on the internet too.

One strange thing was when they started the video on demand thing a few yrs ago, where you had to call in and order the movie, it didn't work on my TV one day, but everyone else in my area had no problem. The guy on the phone played around with things and said I had to use a 'special' way called "flipping the shub", whatever that means. So when I call in and want a movie to say flip the shub. Then he said go ahead and pick a movie now, but the ones I wanted he said I couldn't get - tech difficulties - and for free I could watch brad pitt in the movie Joe Black. I didn't want a 3 hour movie, but he insisted I get it. Ended up I did like the movie, but it made no sense that that was my only choice. Later when I called the cable co for another movie, they operator had no idea what this flip the shub meant.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 12:48 PM
link   
U.S. airwaves are soveirgn to the people, sadly foreign lobbyists and businessmen have paid our politicians and beurocrats to sell us out and so now they like to ruin us slowly in one angle by draining us for overpriced non educational B.S. which is merely useless nonsense. Where are shows on how to build machines, new technology, details learning channels with classes. That are free..Once we all get rid of the giant blob sucking our world dry of all hope called the old machine. We can realize our true identities as a free people in technology that truly liberates.

Tesla, Magnets, Electricity.. to name a few.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 12:54 PM
link   

every time I turn it on with in the first couple of commercial breaks there is someone telling me that I'm going to lose my signal February of 2009 if I don't have the converter box.

makes me question [because] local and national government is the one pushing it as a public safety problem.

Same in San Francisco Bay Area -- NOTE: one of their commercials f*cked up and said after all TV's converted to digital, THEN EITHER AT&T OR SOME OTHER BIG CORP WILL OWN THE OLD AIRWAYS AND CONVERT THEM TO INTERNET BROADCASTING -- therefore, it's a electromagnetic broadcasting piracy take-over of public airwaves by a private mega-corporation -- on a national scale approved by Congress -- the biggest sell-outs of all time, orchestrated by the NWO.

I've seen the commericals about a hundred times, but only seen the f*ck-up, once.

[edit on 28-7-2008 by counterterrorist]

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by counterterrorist

Same in San Francisco Bay Area -- NOTE: one of their commercials f*cked up and said after all TV's converted to digital, THEN EITHER AT&T OR SOME OTHER BIG CORP WILL OWN THE OLD AIRWAYS AND CONVERT THEM TO INTERNET BROADCASTING -- therefore, it's a electromagnetic broadcasting piracy take-over of public airwaves by a private mega-corporation -- on a national scale approved by Congress -- the biggest sell-outs of all time, orchestrated by the NWO.

I've seen the commericals about a hundred times, but only seen the f*ck-up, once.

[edit on 28-7-2008 by counterterrorist]

Wow I did not know about AT&T take over that is pretty interesting. I just don't trust this whole thing. I am not converting I think its bull, I don't need a tv yet at the same time I do how will I know if something goes down in my town. Man I feel like im being made to do something I don't agree with.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 01:31 PM
link   
here in the UK, the freq used are going to be used by the emergency services and the military.

seems like there are different reasons for this switch ??

snoopyuk

new topics

top topics

join