It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Being ANTI WAR is trendy!!!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by ALightinDarkness

Originally posted by mental modulator
In order to appease your protests, however I could not edit my OP...

You still don't get the point do you? The point was that politics involved backstabbing, Scott was fired for incompetence, and is now trying to "get back." Its not shocking, it happens with someone every presidency. Your urge to make it more than it really is just showed you were heavily media programmed.

First of all I do find it very strange that I have been accused of being "TRENDY"
by three people... I am convinced that there is a shared source for this theory and
the term "TRENDY"

The "source" for this theory is - and I urge everyone to sit down for this part - the peer reviewed research on social trends. I know, I know. Most of ATS can't be bothered to source anything beyond a conspiracy blog, and the thought of using actual academic research to form your point is shocking.

Did the other two people copy your theory in regards to the genesis of my opinions and thoughts?

No, they did their research. You should try it, you'll be surprised how much you learn when you go beyond the propganda.

You see man this is why I made this thread... You are assuming a whole bunch about
me,,, You don't even know me!

Who did I vote for in 2000?

HUMMMMM!

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 06:24 AM
link   
reply to post by mental modulator

Could you please provide me " the peer reviewed research on social trends"

Do you even know what my profession is ???

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 06:24 AM
link   
reply to post by ALightinDarkness

You need to work on your deflection tactics, your too easy to expose. Stop drinking that DNC kool-aid and wake up.

Hilarious....

You really must live in an interesting world.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Karlhungis

You need to work on your deflection tactics, your too easy to expose

Hilarious....

You really must live in an interesting world.

MR HUNGIS you sure do your research!

Now read his quote...

Sounds like a bad kung fu flick!

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 06:54 AM
link   

I'm not going to do your research for you. Those who have done the research have known about this phenomena since the Vietnam era. If you want to get started, try reading:

Jenkins, H. 2004. The cultural logic of media convergence. International Journal of Cultural Studies, 7(1): 33-43

Schuman, H. 1972. Two sources of antiwar sentiment. The American Journal of Sociology, 78(3): 513-536.

There are hundreds more. But I've done my research, I'm not doing yours. The creation of anti-war sentiment manufactured through cultural forces and turned into a trendy social movement has been carefully studied since the Vietnam War, and it has happened in every war since then.

[edit on 28-7-2008 by ALightinDarkness]

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

It would be funny if it weren't so obvious. But hey, I still find it funny. You let me know when you've expanded your world view to figure out that those who don't agree with your left-wing worldview are not Rush Limbaugh supporters.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 07:03 AM
link   
I have a question for all the "I have always been against this war crowd" out there- where were you when the idea of this war was floating around Congress? All I remember is a huge surge of patriotism after 911 and don't recall hearing any anti-war sentiment, not even from CNN. Bush's approval rating was high and everyone was sporting American Flags chanting "Lets Roll" ready to take on the evildoers. Now there is a "trend" to be anti-Bush and anti-war, most of it set forth by the MSM when the war ended too quickly to keep their projected ratings up. Yes - being anti-war at this point is as trendy as having a crush on your favorite left wing movie star.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by ALightinDarkness

I'm not going to do your research for you. Those who have done the research have known about this phenomena since the Vietnam era. If you want to get started, try reading:

Jenkins, H. 2004. The cultural logic of media convergence. International Journal of Cultural Studies, 7(1): 33-43

Schuman, H. 1972. Two sources of antiwar sentiment. The American Journal of Sociology, 78(3): 513-536.

There are hundreds more. But I've done my research, I'm not doing yours. The creation of anti-war sentiment manufactured through cultural forces and turned into a trendy social movement has been carefully studied since the Vietnam War, and it has happened in every war since then.

Wait so you are telling me that three people all read the same books and descended
upon ATS at the same time???

I find that hard to swallow!!!

LIKE I said I have never heard the word trendy used here!

How do you know I am not against the war because it is wasting my tax $$$$$$$$$ ?

If that is a factor is does that mean that I am still being trendy?

How do you know I was not once a Bush supporter?

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by slicobacon
I have a question for all the "I have always been against this war crowd" out there- where were you when the idea of this war was floating around Congress? All I remember is a huge surge of patriotism after 911 and don't recall hearing any anti-war sentiment, not even from CNN. Bush's approval rating was high and everyone was sporting American Flags chanting "Lets Roll" ready to take on the evildoers. Now there is a "trend" to be anti-Bush and anti-war, most of it set forth by the MSM when the war ended too quickly to keep their projected ratings up. Yes - being anti-war at this point is as trendy as having a crush on your favorite left wing movie star.

Lets roll to AFGHANISTAN WAS me -- IRAQ --- HELL no,,, not so much!

Is the this "trendy" tag a Right-wing triangulation --- to OBAMA...
Considering he was the lone UNPATRIOTIC TERRORIST LOVER LIBERAL who
was against IRAQ

this surge of the word "TRENDY" would make sense!

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 07:19 AM
link   
When I learned about history as a child, I was saddened and dismayed at all the wars that have occured throughout our history as a species. When I was a little bit older, I was opposed to Saddam's invasion of Kuwait. I was opposed our campaign in the first Gulf War. I was opposed to Milosevic's campaign in Kosovo. I was opposed to our air campaign in Kosovo. I was opposed to Iraq's lack of cooperation with the U.N., but also to our numerous air campaigns against Iraq under Clinton. I was opposed to what the terrorists did to us on 9-11, like anyone would be. I was opposed nonetheless to our war in Afghanistan as well. So was my (at the time) fiancee. She was at work in a factory when the news of our bombing Afghanistan came on the TV. Everyone around her cheered, and wondered why she didn't. It was her first taste of the, "You're not patriotic," stigma, one I was already quite familiar with. I was opposed to our invasion of Iraq. I'm opposed to any future air (or, obviously, any other) campaign against Iran.

Obama was going to be the first person I ever voted for, until he started talking about vowing that Iran would never have a nuclear weapon (of course I don't want Iran - or anyone - to have nuclear weapons either) and saying that military force was on the table. Now, as usual, I won't be voting for anyone, so people shouldn't accuse me of being partisan (though, they do anyway, even though my Democrat friends and family members are annoyed at me for not voting for him.)

I certainly don't feel like I'm being trendy. I feel like a pariah to be honest. A lot of people don't like or understand my point of view that war is never justifiable, and that even when we fail to find it, there is always another way; that war is a failure on our part, not an inevitability. After the 500th time of saying, "I respect the views of those who see the world differently than I do, and I don't judge or blame them for feeling the way they do. We're all different," and yet still being called a terrorist sympathizer, coward, non-patriotic, naive, a liberal nut, or just plain crazy, it's hard to feel like part of a trend. At times I feel like my only recourse is to blatantly apologize for being just as bothered by Afghani people being blown to bits as I am by planes flying into buildings and killing thousands of our own people, but then I remember... this is America; I shouldn't have to.

Maybe that's just me, though.

[edit on 7/28/2008 by AceWombat04]

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Trust me, my world view is open to all sorts of opposition to all sorts of opinions. If you read most of my posts on ATS, I am open to many opposing viewpoints. Now, I haven't read much of your stuff, aside from your attacks on me, but you really do come off as someone who is completely closed minded. I have only seen you push your opinion on others and I have yet to see you have any sort of a conversation with anyone.

My Rush Limbaugh post was supposed to be a light hearted jab. If you haven't noticed other "conservative" posters that use talking points ripped straight from his talk show, you aren't paying attention. Again, I don't care where my pictures come from. I go to google, type in "Rush Limbaugh", click on images and pick one that fits. If it turns out to come from a "Lunatic Left Wing" website, so be it. I honestly wouldn't know, because I don't visit them myself.

Why I am bothering to defend myself, I have no idea.

So, right back atcha, you go ahead and let me know when you think you can actually have a conversation with people and be open to others points of view.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 07:23 AM
link   

As this has been known to those who do their research for the past 40 years, and as there are hundreds upon hundreds of books and peer reviewed articles about it, obviously more than 1 person can know about it without reading the exact same thing. Do you have any idea how research works?

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 07:27 AM
link   

You should stop projecting.

I've read lots of your posts, including your insults on me which is all you seem to be doing in this thread, and to me you seem completely close minded. If it doesn't fit with your worldview, your reject it and blame it on "the republicans." I have yet to see you do anything but opine on your opinion - you have never had a conversation with anyone unless they agree with your narrow worldview.

Let me know when you can move beyond your narrow worldview and your ready to look at the data. Until then, your just another person on ATS who wants to preach but doesn't want to have a conversation.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Most anti war people I have spoken with are essentially mentally retarded when it comes to actually understanding world affairs. They scream things like "international law" and other bs like that which doesn't even exist..

Yes, being anti-war is trendy.. that's why when you go to college and you tell people your a conservative they stare at you like "wait.. you mean democrat?" .. no Conservative .. "....but ... we are all democrats..." .. ok im a conservative .. "I don't get it.. is this a joke??"

And then they preach to you about war crimes and how loosing 4k troops depleted the US Army of fighting men and, when asked to pin point Afghanistan on a map, they point to somewhere north of Canada but to the West of Greenland..

Being anti war is the easy way for R-Tards to appear intelligent, fashionable, and a healthy dose of self righteousness..

Which is probably why most of the hippies in the 60's are todays Republican voting base.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 07:33 AM
link   

No, your hero Obama was not the lone hero against this now hugely unpopular war. Ron Paul was the lone Republican to vote against it. If you were against the war in the beginning - well kudos for you. Honestly I fear to admit that I didn't feel I knew enough about it to decide myself in the beginning. Knowing the way the govt operates, I thought there was probably more to the story. Personally I think we should have left as soon as Saddam was toppled, nation building never works.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Is this what you call a conversation? I guess we are taking baby steps here, so our version of "conversation" can be you attacking me and me defending myself.

I may blame the current administration for a lot of the woes in our society, but I don't often blame "republicans". I am just as disgusted with the democratic party. Really, I am disgusted with politicians in general.

This topic isn't about me and how selfishly I seem to preach to others though, it is about whether or not being Anti War is being trendy and why it is currently increasing in popularity to discredit someone that is against the war by calling them trendy. I can imagine that there is a large portion of the population that does form their opinion based off of what MTV and their favorite celebrity tell them to, so for them...yes, the trend has shifted to being anti war. Just like being Pro war and Patriotic was a trend after 9/11. You weren't allowed to speak against it because the current trend was that if you were against the war, you were for the terrorists.

The other side of the coin is for the people who genuinely came to this opinion on their own. It is pretty unfair to the people who have been against the war for some time to discredit them and claim that they aren't thinking for themselves and that they are merely being "trendy". I think that there are many reasons to be against the war. The only real reason I see to still be in the war is to prevent the blood bath that will happen as a result of our destabilizing the country.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Thing about antiwar folks is that they think the entire country agrees with them .. I think the wars stupid, kinda pointless now, and I don't really give a rats arse what happens to the people if we pulled out tomorrow.. and I think the general public sides with me.

Iraq is thousands of miles away. 80% of the country couldn't locate it on the map. Almost no American's are effected by it..

So why no parades in the streets? No one cares.

Except the few anti-war people who live in their own disillusioned reality. As long as it makes you "feel good", you know, what ever floats your boat. Just wish they wouldn't preach as much as they do because *gasp!* not every one aspires to be a Democrat..

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

I agree with you. The over zealous portion of any crowd is annoying. Politics and religion are both the same in that regard. I don't care what you are, just don't shove it down my throat as the absolute truth.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Yes, you throwing insults and demeaning who you disagree with is certainly not a conversation. Maybe if you stopped doing that, things would change? Food for thought.

Blaming any administration for the "woes of society" is amazingly short sighted. The executive branch just doesn't have that much power. In fact, compared to Congress, it has nothing.

You are the one who thinks "trendy" is some attempt to discredit your ilk. That is you beating up a straw man. The data shows the anti-war movement is a trend, and its trendy to be anti-war. If you find that so offensive, I apologize, but it is reality. If you did not join the movement to be trendy, then my comments are obviously not directed at you.

I can think of no point where being anti-war was against the trend Initially there was no clear trend as both sides scrambled to figure out how they could exploit the situation to gain the most out of it. Actually, I remember on 9/11 hearing in class that this was the fault of American imperialism and the West should suffer for its repression of other cultures.

A few years later, I listened to some DNC consultants talk about how they couldn't wait to get a war going so they could turn a 360 and blame the Bush administration and create a anti-war propaganda machine to exploit the situation.

Needless to say, they have been very successful.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 08:33 AM
link   

I too suffer from the same sickness.

I'm not against the war because it was an illegal invasion.

It's not because millions have died for the profit of corporations.

It's not because the U.S. is "spreading Democracy" - whether, a country wants it or not.

It's not because there are more civilian deaths than soldiers/insurgents.

It's not because war breeds terror.

Nope. None of the above. I just wanted to be popular. My friends think I'm so awesome now. Thank you AntiWar ... you changed my life.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join