It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dissident Republicans threaten peace process in Northern Ireland

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 04:27 AM
link   

Dissident Republicans threaten peace process in Northern Ireland

www.guardian.co.uk

The security services are picking up more suspicious activity from Northern Ireland's dissident republicans than from any other radical group in the UK, the Guardian has learned.

Up to 60% of all the security services' electronic intercepts - phonetaps and other covert technical operations - have come from dissidents, despite the threat posed by hundreds of suspected Islamist extremists on the mainland.

MI5 is directing its attention to a hardcore of republicans, fearing they are determined to destabilise the peace process.

Sir Hugh Orde, chief constable of the Police Service of Northern Ireland, has separately confirmed that the dissident threat is the highest since he took office.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 04:27 AM
link   
This is very disturbing given the way places like Belfast have changed over the last decade. Northern Ireland looks like it has a very bright future, with jobs and investment rising and life for ordinary people being transformed (there was a time when people were afraid to go out at night). It would be a terrible thing to revert back to the 1970s - open war on the streets, regular terrorist attacks against both sides and so forth.

A particularly despicable tactic of the Republican dissidents is to try to kill a Catholic police officer to dissuade other Catholics from joining the police force. Policing in Northern Ireland has been a major area where progress between the Catholic and Protestant communities has been made, and it would be terrible for this progress to be undone.

It's extremely important for the police, MI5, the politicians (Republican and Unionist) and the public to do everything they can to deny dissidents a victory - so much progress has been made, and it would be a crime to let that slip away.

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 04:51 AM
link   
they have no chance..there base of operations is in lurgan a few miles from where i live in portadown and the people don't want anything to do with them but are afraid because they are all ex.ira men....because of all there crap lurgan is dying because shops are closing and people are moving away....fire bombing children's toy shops are disrupting the only rail link between north and south seam to be there favorite tactic....

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ste2652
It would be a terrible thing to revert back to the 1970s - open war on the streets, regular terrorist attacks against both sides and so forth.
- so much progress has been made, and it would be a crime to let that slip away.

There were five arrests of suspected republican dissidents in Dublin yesterday (.sept808)

How great that they are still committed to shared government a full eighteen months after the election. There's a something of a deadlock at the moment, but impasse talks last week have got things back on track.

[edit on 9-9-2008 by undermind]

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 05:48 AM
link   
i hope this does not start again, we came back to live in ulster 15 years ago after being away for a few years and the change is fantastic.
i would not bring up my kids anywhere else, they have protestant,catholic,chinese etc friends and play in mixed football teams etc things are so much better that what i remember as a kid. i know there are still a lot of people closed to the idea of moving on but thats what a majority of the people want and if they want a united ireland or to stay in uk etc it should be a democratic process and not one from terror

and good luck to the northern ireland football squad tomorrow night when they face the czech republic!!

[edit on 9-9-2008 by craic.n.up]

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 06:06 AM
link   
A report recently published found that the I.R.A. pose no longer pose any threat to National Security.

news.bbc.co.uk...

I suspect that this is a very small minority of ex para-militaries who resent their loss of power and control.

It also seems that both the British and Republic security forces are well on top of any threats posed by these renegade groups.

Hopefully the progress made in Northern Ireland can continue.

new topics

top topics

join