It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In study, evidence of liberal-bias bias

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 09:43 PM
link   

In study, evidence of liberal-bias bias

www.latimes.com

Haters of the mainstream media reheated a bit of conventional wisdom last week. Barack Obama, they said, was getting a free ride from those insufferable liberals.

But now there's additional evidence that casts doubt on the bias claims aimed -- with particular venom -- at three broadcast networks.

The Center for Media and Public Affairs at George Mason University, where researchers have tracked network news content for two decades, found that ABC, NBC and CBS were tougher on Obama...
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 09:43 PM
link   

...found that ABC, NBC and CBS were tougher on Obama than on Republican John McCain during the first six weeks of the general-election campaign.

You read it right: tougher on the Democrat.

This is especially relevant here on ATS where so many who lean to the right so often claim that Obama "has a free pass" undoubtedly a right-wing talking point I missed because I tend to tune out the right-wing-hate-machine.

Well now the truth is out, the bias is NOT leaning in the direction so many would like you to believe.

www.latimes.com

[edit on 27-7-2008 by Animal]

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 09:58 PM
link   
I agree,,, If Obama made the gafs Mccain made, game over!

If John Mccain made the gafs Obama made, who cares!

My opinion

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Animal

...found that ABC, NBC and CBS were tougher on Obama than on Republican John McCain during the first six weeks of the general-election campaign.

This is especially relevant here on ATS where so many who lean to the right so often claim that Obama "has a free pass" undoubtedly a right-wing talking point I missed because I tend to tune out the right-wing-hate-machine.

Well now the truth is out, the bias is NOT leaning in the direction so many would like you to believe.

www.latimes.com

Your source is not FOX???? -- its though LIBERAL TERRORIST LOVER LIBERALS IN UNPATRIOTIC LA!

STORY IS FALSE!!!

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 10:02 PM
link   
MM I could not agree more. In fact although the cited study only goes back 6 weeks it is my opinion that the bias favoring the right has been around for a LONG time.

Just look at Clinton's impeachment over trying to lie his way out of cheating on his wife verse Bush's lying us into a war that has bankrupt this nation morally and financially.

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by mental modulator

www.latimes.com

Your source is not FOX???? -- its though LIBERAL TERRORIST LOVER LIBERALS IN UNPATRIOTIC LA!

STORY IS FALSE!!!

**Slaps forehead** oh my god what was I thinking!

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 10:08 PM
link   
In my opinion, this study is hardly meaningful.

...during the first six weeks of the general-election campaign...

Let's see...

...Obama was still in the middle of the bitter post Hilary defeat drama...

...Obama was still shifting positions related to his affiliation with Rev Wright...

...Obama was still explaining what he meant concerning those clinging to "guns and religion"...

Big surprise. Obama had the spotlight of media attention for six weeks...and much of it deservingly negative.

So this study proves what again?

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

IT amuses me to no end how willing to disregard anything that opposes the right-wing point of view right-wingers are.

Yes Loam I am sure you are right that those at this university who undertook this study were not able to see the simple logic you just supplied in 30 seconds (sarcasm).

That you would actually assume that there was no rigor to the study.

Truth hurts but that does not change, the TRUTH.

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 11:21 PM
link   

IT amuses me to no end how willing to disregard anything that opposes the right-wing point of view right-wingers are.

And look how easily you disregarded what I had to say, simply by stamping my forehead with a label and calling it done.

Yes Loam I am sure you are right that those at this university who undertook this study were not able to see the simple logic you just supplied in 30 seconds (sarcasm).

That you would actually assume that there was no rigor to the study.

Because no study ever performed at a university can ever be wrong...or misquoted...or misinterpreted...whether by design or by mistake...

Where's the actual study? I went to look for it, but didn't find it.

Have you?

Truth hurts but that does not change, the TRUTH.

Indeed. On this we can agree...
But not in the way you think.

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 11:21 PM
link   
double post... site acting up....

[edit on 27-7-2008 by loam]

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 03:03 AM
link   
Imagine that! A liberal university does a study on liberal media bias and then declares their is no liberal media bias. I never saw it coming.

over and out

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 03:12 AM
link   
Liberal media-bias my arse.

Even if there WERE a liberal media-bias, it'd be a good thing.

George W Bush elected twice. A nipple exposed during a superbowl making people defecate in their pants. Crud.

I spent seven and a half years of my childhood living in southeast Massachusetts.

I reckon The Puritans are still in charge.

Fuggle_Hop

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by mental modulator
I agree,,, If Obama made the gafs Mccain made, game over!

If John Mccain made the gafs Obama made, who cares!

My opinion

You're kidding, right? Obama makes far more gaffes than McCain. Everyone thinks that Obama is such an articulate speaker, but that couldn't be further from the truth. He is only a great speaker when he's in front of a teleprompter.

And I love how the OP concludes that this study is the "end all, be all" to this debate. One study from one university is hardly a conclusion to this debate. The fact that every major network, including the top three nightly news anchors themselves, traveled with Obama on his overseas trip while hardly anyone went with McCain on his last overseas trip is evidence enough. And I won't even get into the mainstream media liberal bias that exists when it comes to campaign donations... something like 400:1 donations made to liberal/democratic candidates/causes as opposed to conservative/republican ones.

To dispute the liberal bias in the mainstream media is akin to disputing that the Earth is round.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Rasputin13

Agreed.

I don't think we need a study to realize how favorably Obama is treated by the MSM.

And by they way, "right-leaning" folks like myself aren't the only ones who see this...

Bias?

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 09:14 AM
link   
All you right wingers can keep spewing the talking points you were given, and feel free to believe them too. Many have begun to wake up to the out right BS the right-wing-hate-machine would have us all believe.

I know the truth is a bit discomforting, especially when you bought the lie bait, line and sinker but reality is reality.

Looking at the gaffes of the two contenders, Obama and McCain, I do not know how anyone could say that Obama has made more.

The teleprompter thing is simply a joke. It has been regurgitated here over and over and is about as unimportant as issues can get.

And yes Rasputin this is largly to addressed to you. I would love for you to compile a list of 'gaffes' that extends beyond the standard "can't speak off a teleprompter" but that would require thought and not regurgitation. Best of luck to you.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 09:34 AM
link   
the right wing has outright lied to the media, had them jailed, threatened them, and refused access during the bush presidentcy. i think the media has actually shown great restraint in not picking apart john mccain, at the same time they have put obama under a microscope.

one aside, it's utterly amazing that STATE polls have obama far ahead, while NATIONAL polls have them almost dead even. yeah...nothing to that right?....nothing to see, nothing to worry about, move along now.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   
While walking my dog this morning I was reflecting on this thread and something occurred to me. Now there is a study that shows there is a statistical media bias in favor of John McCain and many have tried to dismiss this claim and make the alternate claim that there is, if anything, a liberal bias.

I would like all of you who make this statement to PROVE IT.

Rather than simply sharing your OPINION why not dig up the supporting information that proves your point?

There is now evidence for the conservative-bias and it is your job to disprove it.

Originally posted by nyk537
reply to post by Rasputin13

Agreed.

I don't think we need a study to realize how favorably Obama is treated by the MSM.

And by they way, "right-leaning" folks like myself aren't the only ones who see this...

Bias?

The sort of information contained int his link is a good example of information that proves nothing as it is a survey of the Publics OPINION and nothing more. Whereas in comparison the study cited by the LA Times is a statistical analysis of statements made by the media itself.

Enjoy

[edit on 28-7-2008 by Animal]

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by loam
In my opinion, this study is hardly meaningful.

...during the first six weeks of the general-election campaign...

Let's see...

...Obama was still in the middle of the bitter post Hilary defeat drama...

...Obama was still shifting positions related to his affiliation with Rev Wright...

...Obama was still explaining what he meant concerning those clinging to "guns and religion"...

Big surprise. Obama had the spotlight of media attention for six weeks...and much of it deservingly negative.

So this study proves what again?

Yeah, the first SIX WEEKS of the GENERAL ELECTION. Meaning, THE LAST SIX WEEKS! Sometimes I wonder. They are referring to the last six weeks of news coverage, and if you would have read the entire article you may have come across this fact. Just in case, here it is:

Conservatives have been snarling about the grotesque disparity revealed by another study, the online Tyndall Report, which showed Obama receiving more than twice as much network air time as McCain in the last month and a half.

They are talking about the last 'month and a half'. Anyway, I haven't seen the bias. I have seen, when I decide to watch anymore, about as much both ways.

Each side seems to be getting questioned as hard as the other and looked at in a negative light.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Either way, the news sucks and isn't a good thing to pay attention to.. It's all about fake news, the Jon Stewart show or about reading international news to get information.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Who cares? Honestly, people, this study doesn't matter one bit and is not worth fighting over, whether it is fact or not.

The only thing that matters is what the polls have shown: the public overwhelmingly believes that the media is indeed biased in favor of Barack Obama. Reality or not, that's the perception, and as they say, perception is everything in politics. One study by someone that virtually no one in the general public has ever heard of is going to change this.

[edit on 28-7-2008 by vor78]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join