It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sling Blade

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 08:49 PM
link   
This movie was recommended to me last week and after reading on it, I was surprised that I wasn't familiar with it. It took a few tries to manage to rent it as it seemed to never be in, but a few days ago I finally managed to rent it and watched it yesterday.

What a great movie!

Billy Bob Thornton in it is at his absolute best and Lucas Black (I believe that is who it was) is such an underrated actor. Their on-screen chemistry was so strong and the plot itself was flawless.

Anyone see this movie that agrees/disagrees with what I have to say? If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it.

Spoiler Alert

If anyone responds to this aspect of the post, please indicate that you are writing a potential spoiler for any other member who may have not managed to see the movie yet.

At the end of the film when Karl (Thornton) makes up his mind about how to handle the boyfriend issue who is troubling the family, I thought that was so well written. The boy, the mother, and her friend Vaughn all know exactly what he's doing and they all finish the conversation with a hesitant "...Karl" as he walks away. I took this as an indication that they knew what was going to happen, they weren't sure if they approved.. but they certainly weren't going to stop him.

I think some people would want to see some dialogue between Karl and his loved ones after the event, but I think I preferred this ending where your somewhat left guessing.. but not really. I think how their dialogue ended was enough of an answer. For those of you who have seen the movie, what do you think of my thoughts on that?

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 09:27 PM
link   
This is one of our favorite movies Chiss.

How the freedom of the outside world can be a prison for some.

My wife and I drag this out at least twice a year.
At first, it's hard to believe this is Billy-Bob Thornton.
With minimal makeup, a bad haircut, and a "permanent" facial contortion, he becomes Karl. The cadence and throatiness of his voice complete the transition.
It's an amazing job by Billy-bob.

I also agree with you on Lucas Black, we first noticed him in a movie called "The War" with Kevin Costner. (If you haven't seen that, I highly recommend it).
Anyway, I thought Lucas Black's acting was effortless, and natural.

The movie has also invaded our personal lives. Every now and then I request "French fried taters" for dinner, as only Karl could say it.

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 09:48 PM
link   
"The War" is one of those movies that I watched endlessly when I was younger. Huge fan of it. I still remember those seens where they took the shopping carts down the hill and into the water. Was always jealous.

The scene in Sling Blade "I like the way you talk" is an all-time classic.

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Sling Blade is one of the better movies in the past 15 years. Even though he did what you did, one can't help but sympathize for the character.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by eye open doors
Sling Blade is one of the better movies in the past 15 years. Even though he did what you did, one can't help but sympathize for the character.
get over it, i mean who cares, the character is pretty cool.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Mmm hmmm I like french fried taters with mustard! Mmmm hmmm. Some call it a kiaser blade I calls it a sling blade. Yall not un done that to that youngin, I figure im gonna have to kill you.

Great movie!

[edit on 7/28/2008 by whatukno]

new topics

top topics

join