It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Report-UFO-chasing hacker may be locked up for life.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   
LONDON - British man Gary McKinnon is just days from learning whether he is on the fast track to a 60-year prison sentence, thanks to his obsession with aliens.

www.nzherald.co.nz...

Wow thats a longtime and just 42.For a hack that big for NASA he must have get some info out i would believe.I posted on this story before but does anyone actually know what he found?

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by alienstar

I for one can't wait till this actually goes to trial so we can (well, hopefully at least) get some facts about what he actually hacked.

If he really did do nothing but access computers with blank passwords then that is hardly hacking and the punishment doesn't seem to fit the crime.

If that's the case then it definitely makes me wonder what he might have seen on there?...

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 05:26 PM
link   
This story has always struck at my heartstrings just like a good old western about Jesse James, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance kid, pretty boy floyd or Jeromino, or even like a modern day Bonnie and Clyde story.

Having always loved the under dog, the rebel I feel an affinity for the man, I mean if you were to stumble upon a NASA site would you look? Or would you close down and report yourself?

I dont know on the other hand remaining safe from genius pranksters is one of the reasons I trust this site, they do 'all' they humanly can to keep it safe. I personally have never had an event related to this site and its security.

Personally I think he should be let go for time served, and by no means take his rights to own and operate and computer be stripped from him. I honestly think he should be hired by the top, the best of the best and employed for the good of humanity and the technological future.

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 05:27 PM
link   
He'll tell you what he did, if you just Google his video that Project Camelot made.

video.google.com...

Google Video Link

[edit on 7/27/2008 by Ceara]

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Non-terrestrial naval Officers.

Off planet naval forces. Thats what he is said to of found. The people who man the fleet off world. If we have 'space ships' stands to reason its a naval crew who man it.

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by mc_squared

If he really did do nothing but access computers with blank passwords then that is hardly hacking and the punishment doesn't seem to fit the crime.

I'm afraid that it might be the official reason we will here no matter what he actually did. Either it was digging up some convincing proof on the subject about aliens and UFO's and their existence, or on the other hand, he might have found out about some other top secret information never to be shead light on.

But man, 60 years
Thats a long time, so guess he must at least have gotten onto something good at least.
And perhaps NASA also are trying to keep this in the media as well as a sort of propaganda to frighten others for attempting the same. I mean, 60 years behind bars, who would wan't to end up like that?

link   

Originally posted by mc_squared

That is what I was going to say. We'll have to wait for the trial before the real facts come out.

You know how the media over hypes a hacker situation, just research Kevin Metnick then read his book on The Art Of Deception he admits that he was not very good and he was used as an example by the government and media.

My thoughts are the best never get caught and never talk about what they do. They are truly anonymous!

link   
Does anyone remember the story of the woman who was married to the man in the AF who traveled between this planet and others?

Seems like I remember discovering that story at the same time this hacker got caught. So it gave relevance to both for me...

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Quite frankly I take personal offense at the idea of "hack" to be synonymous with destructive intent where it really means "to succeed" or "to be able".
It's slanderous to those who are simply adept with technology.

If you get "hacked" it's your fault. Secure your stuff. They did you a favor by exposing vulnerabilities.

However, the first thing that should have been done was immediate worldwide dispersal of the info obtained if it was worth anything so that it couldn't be supressed.

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I started listening to the video. but it's a bit long. is there a place with a breakdown or transcipt of what he found?

I'd like to listen but i can't right this second.
very interesting to what we found.

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 07:16 PM
link   
(still watching)

However if you pick up around 11:30 and listen. He tells of photo's he accesed. Pre and post photoshopping. And one containing a UFO..etc.......

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 03:19 PM
link   
this is a ridiculous sentence. and i was thinking of joining the military. they lost me when they decided to throw the book at this guy. he committed a crime but take his life? cruel and compassionless.

today i spiritually and mentally give up on the us of a.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Should be interesting to see what happens. I cant believe its taken this many years to go to trial. This story surfaced in what? 2004-2005?

I think if he's smart enough to hack into NASA's files using a 'dial-up' connection, as he says, then the Govt. should stand trial for not providing adequate computer security. Either that or they should hire him to work for their computer security team.

No use putting a mind like that to waste in a prison.

join