It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does Size Matter?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 03:59 PM
link   
This may be a case of selective recognition on my part, but it seems to me that the number of UFO reports involving Very Large Craft has been increasing over the last 5-10 years.

If this perception is accurate, could this fact signal a change, or furhter development, in "contact" strategy?

Admittedly, it would be naive in the extreme, and potentially dangerous to boot, to assign human social characteristics to thoroughly non-human entities; however, lacking a viable alternative, I'm forced to submit the following as an example:

I believe that it can be successfully argued that no "first contact" between human cultures, resulting in long-term, peaceful, and mutually beneficial relations, has Ever followed from the more advanced civilization parking the technological equivelent of an "aicraft carrier" in the "home port" of the less advanced civilization.

Such an act has been, and most likely would be, interpeted as an act of dominent intent, if not out-right aggression.

Successful first contacts have generally been the result of small parties, primarily tasked with exploratory missions, making contact on a "one-to-one" basis, often furtively at first. Then, as the two cultures became more comfortable with each other, larger and more "formal" introductions were arranged, often culminating in exhibits of wealth and power as demostrations of "honoring" the other culture.

Granted, this is a simplification of the process, and a rather "rosy" view of human interaction over the centuries. One could argue that there has never been an instance in human history wherein two distinct cultures, not separated by time, has been able to maintain peaceful and beneficial relations indefinately.

Throughout recorded history the appearance of UFO's has, I believe, generally been described on a very "human" scale: even what would have then been considered a large UFO would have been described as being "as big as a barn" or a "flying palace".

Most UFO's are described as being far mor modestly sized: the size of a car, "as wide as the road", "a few hundred feet long".

But in the last few years there has been a notable increase in the size of the strange objects folks are reporting. Airline pilots over the English channel reported a mile long UFO a few years back. More recently, Ricky Sorrels of Stephensville, TX reported an object hovering a few hundred feet above his head that was so large he "couldn't see the edges" of the object, it virtually blotted out his view of the sky above him.

If the anecdotes are to be believed, and we now have the opinion of no less a cultural icon than a former Apollo astronaut (Dr. Edgar Mitchell) telling us that those anecdotes are likely true, Earth has been under the scrutiny of alien intelligence(s) for decades, if not millenia.

Could the recent, more frequent appearance of "The Really BIG Ships" be a signal that our "visitors" have changed how they intend to "contact" us?

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Interesting point of view on this matterl. Haven't given the fact of sizes on the UFO's oberved much of a thought until i read this.

And to commet on you question at the very end of your post.
Perhaps the period of "exploring" the planet is over, and the bigger "motherships" if so are starting to come. I mean, it would make sort of scense if they were sending some scouts out to investigate out planet at first, to see if we are capable of doing them any harm before they sent in the really big ships.

Now this is a very freely reply of my thoughts of the moment. I'll have to look a bit deeper into this matter before beeing able to state any more reasonable personal conclution of this subject.

But I must say that this is an interesting observation you have maid about the evolving of the UFO reports. Will definitly give this some more thought.

And sorry for any bad english fellow readers!

Edit: And I just have to admit that I thought of something slightly different when I first read your topic tittle.
Perhaps add something more to it, some people might thing slightly different about it as well?

[edit on 27-7-2008 by TopSecretArea]

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Let's consider first that we are a hostile race. If you were an alien race would you not send in probes, drones, or small craft for recon?
Then when for what ever reason they might have for interaction send in the big boys. I think that is what I would do once assured of our capabilities or lack there of or to intercede when our global destruction was at hand. As Edgar Mitchell said, if they wanted to they would have destroyed us long ago.
I think earth is a genetic animal farm of sorts.
Just my.02.

[edit on 7/27/2008 by jpm1602]

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by jpm1602

I'll have to agree with both Edgar and you on that statement of his. If they wanted us dead, it would be a high chance that we would be that by now if that were to be the case.

But I also guess there would be a possibility of them wanting us alive other than friendly reasons as well thou, but I don't know.

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Aliens are ashamed of there size ,therefore they make up for it by having big ships. Similar to guys with huge trucks with almost monster truck size wheels on them, tinny packages.

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Most people would agree that alien species have been monitoring, perhaps even manipulating earth and its species for centuries if not millenia.
They seem especially interested of any military movement, like how many sitings of 'foo fighters' during WW11. The russians, germans thought they were ours, we thought it was there's.
What are there intentions? Who knows. Will it be a 'how to serve man twilight episode or 'war of the worlds'?
As an optimist I wish they would share zero energy tech with us to save us and the environment. How many wars and squirmishes could be avoided if this was so?
I think they have reservations on that at our current level of evolution.

ROFL! Could be LeeHawk.

[edit on 7/27/2008 by jpm1602]

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 12:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Bhadhidar

It could be.

The records dept is running a bit shy on UFOs before the early 40s... So I'm not sure there is enough evidence to really say one way or the other.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Scramjet76

You might want to try some of the ancient Hindu texts.

I also seem to remember some one claiming that some of the paintings from the middle ages and renaissance period depict UFO's. However, those depictions may have been nothing more than allegorical images included by the painter to make the work more "topical".

It has been argued, on and off, that the biblical description of Ezekiel's "Wheel" was actually a UFO.

But you are correct: In general, what we now identify as UFO's seem to have been rather scarce prior to the 1940's or so.

And now, we seem to be experiencing a rash of very large objects indeed.

I think it gives one pause to wonder...

"What the (bleep!) is up with that?"

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 07:57 PM
link   
I think this is a really well thought-out and well written thread. Kudos, OP -- S&F. I believe that the EBEs might well be terrestrial, or possibly intradimensional. They seem to have a vested interest in the Earth, and my impressions are a less-than-forthcoming relation with humans. Agree with previous posts: If extermination were the goal, it would've and probably could've been accomplished long ago.

Likewise, if total domination of humanity were the goal, I think big, imposing in-your-face craft and actions would've been happening long ago. I don't know what their agenda is.... I believe they are real. If their goal was to manipulate us spiritually, genetically or otherwise, I think that is consistent with the contact that they've shown.

I think you raise a good point in that disclosure is likely to come from THEM, not from our governments. I think our governments are embarrassed on the whole about how they have deceived their citizens, and I think the deception has stemmed largely from the governments' lack of control of the situation, and perhaps knowledge of aspects of the phenomenon that demonstrate that we really have little choice in the matter. That's primarily what leads me to hypothesize that the EBEs are either the ORIGINAL Earth dwellers, or that they are intradimensional, from a spacetime that is somehow interrelated to our own existance. Otherwise, why would they interact with us at all? If they were observers, they would observe.

I think it's entirely likely that their goals are inconsistent with our own, but also think it's possible that those goals are the best thing for the multiverse. Sometimes eggs gotta be broken. Maybe we're the shell. It's also possible that our needs play a far lesser part than their own, but I feel that they need us for something, or we'd be gone.

top topics

join