It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lost and Found - Pets

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I tried to search here to see if there was a lost and found section but belowtopsecret doesn't seem to search well.

So I will start a new thread on lost and found pets.

I found or she found me a german shepherd who I now call Betty.

She was found in Garden River Ontario, July 20, 2008.

What a great dog, she thinks she is a retriever. Fetch is her middle name. She is very obedient and will go anywhere with me leashed or unleashed. She is great with other dogs and cats.

I was visiting family in Garden River and they were trying to shoo away this gorgeous shepherd, even shooting at her with a BB gun. She still would not leave. I could not stand around and watch this continue so I stepped up and said I would take responsibility of her and try to find her owners. She has been with me ever since.

No lost and found notices for her so far. Human society had no one calling them looking for their shepherd. I continue to put notices of finding her, but no one answers.

Garden River is a Native reserve and I was told that too many dogs are left abandoned on the reserve by people who think Natives will take care of them. But the dogs end up dying from starvation or exposure. Even heard of people leaving huge bags of dog food for their abandoned pet.

So Betty will stay with me for now. She is such a sweetheart of a dog. I took her to the river near my home and she proved to me that she is a retriever in disguise. She tirelessly jumps into the water to get anything.

Who would let such a wonderful dog slip away like this.

She was lost but found me.

Rhain

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Is she spayed? Becareful of people identifying her as theirs without proof, especially if she is not spade. If at some point you decide to keep her take the signs down and come up with a good cover story in case the owners call weeks later.
If after a couple of weeks or whatever, if you can't keep her look up your local German Shepherd rescue group online. A beautiful female would have lots of options, they usually have a list of people looking for certain types of dogs. There are purebred rescue groups just about everywhere.

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Have you checked to see if she has a microchip? A vet or animal shelter can scan her and the owner's information will show up on a screen.

I can't say enough about chips--for pets--don't want to stir up a thread about microchipping humans!
Someone stole my Boxer and I got her back 4 months later, half starved and dumped in a high kill shelter. If it hadn't been for the chip, she would have probably been killed in 72 hours.

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I was also going to mention the possibility that she is microchipped.

She is absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!!!

Looks exactly like the first dog that we had when I was little. One of the smartest dogs I have ever seen in my life. Also, he was awesomely protective of me when I was a baby.

I hope you find where she is supposed to be. And if she is supposed to be with you... Consider yourself lucky.

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Yeah any vets office should be willing to see if she is chipped, probably at no charge.

Chips are nice but tags cannot be beat. People are more likely to help an animal if they see tags because they know they should be able to locate the owner quickly. I also would not trust shelters to always check for chips.

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Hahaha, that sure is a big find! I had a small find when I was a teenager. My friend was a tarantula spider collector. He had about five of them. Needless to say I wasn't fond of them. One day he was upset that he lost one of them. He didn't tell his mother cause she would of freaked out. I was worried about stepping on it while walking around his bedroom so I left early. Well late that night I was walking on the side walk three blocks from his house. Looking down at the ground, there was a tarantula crossing my path. I wanted to pick it up and return it to my friend but they are just too hairy and creepy. I never did tell him that I miraculously found it but was too much of a wimp dog to pick it up.

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I have not checked her as of yet for being chipped or spayed. I am curious to see if she has a tattoo in her upper lip as well. She is getting use to our house and people and I can 't get near her if she is laying down. She is always on her feet and if I sit to wait for her to settle she never does, she is constantly wanting to play fetch...did I say constantly she never stops. If you are standing she will put her face into your leg and drop her ball, just like she is pretending you are sitting. I have to close the door into my room so she will leave me alone, from playing fetch. She lays outside my door waiting for me but never lays down if I am near.

I have called my vet and have an appointment to take her in Monday for a check up and shots. I will have him check her for spaying and tattoo.

She was found with a collar on and the person who claims to own her will have to describe it as well as the writing inside it. That is all I will say about it.

She has a place with us here until her family can be found.

From her mannerisms I can deduct she was either kennel raised or lived in an apartment. She won't stay outside by herself to do her business. She must have been fed canned dog food because she has not taken to my dry food I have for my dog. Her owners may have had a camp near water due to her love of playing fetch at the river. She knows no other use to being at the water other then to play fetch which she would do till she dropped from exhaustion.

If I owned a dog such as her I would be heart sick to lose her. I can't fathom how anyone may have abandoned her.

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sonya610Chips are nice but tags cannot be beat. People are more likely to help an animal if they see tags because they know they should be able to locate the owner quickly. I also would not trust shelters to always check for chips.

True, but tags get removed. Don't ask me why. When I got my dog back from the shelter, her collar and tags were gone. Rabies, chip tag, home address/phone tag, and Houston Humane Society tag. I actually use both on my dogs since it is easier just to call the phone number on the tag first.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 05:45 AM
link   
What a beautiful dog! I too am a sucker for any animals I find, especially dogs. I just found a stray last night in our neighbourhood and spent hours walking around with him trying to find someone that would recognize him. It was a male sheltie, and I'd have to say he was at least 2-3 years old as he was pretty much full grown, but still very playful.

He was very unkempt....needed a bath terribly. It looked like he had never been brushed and his fur was matted and missing in a lot of places. He had a large growth on his side and there was absolutely no fur around his neck at all. He also had poop all over his backside. My suspicions were that he'd probably been kept chained up due to the missing neck fur, so in a way I was hoping I didn't find his owners

After combing the neighbourhood and not having any luck we had to call the Humane Society. I would have absolutely LOVED to take him in even if just until his owner was found, but I have two healthy dogs here, and with the looks of this dog he needed some vet care (something I can't afford right now). They picked him up and I really hope it goes well for him. He was so beautiful and gentle, great with my kids, and well trained, so whomever owned him must have done some work with him. He didn't have a collar on, so no tags.

Hopefully they'll clean and fix him up and find a good home for him.

Michelle

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Michelle129

Sounds like a nice dog Michelle. I hope the owners find him. Sounds sad that he would have been unkept.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Great news everyone.

We found the shepherds owners today and were they ever happy to get her back.

We laughed, we cried and hugged over her.

I am just grateful to have had such a wonderful dog in my home for these few weeks.

They even told us to come visit her once and a while.

Rhain (smiling ear to ear)

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   
I am posting a story about a Champion Show dog that was lost this past weekend.

The picture and the story needs to be repeated in as many venues as possible to help get this dog found.

Zak four year old Standard Poodle. Zak's page.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/47564d98f17f.jpg[/atsimg]

Local news story

MSN.com

iReport.com

Any information of this gorgeous show dog would be appreciated.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Rhain

How did you find the owners?

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Word got around that a Shepherd had been found and the owner was given my phone number.

Funny thing was we really missed having another dog in the house so I bought a puppy. About 2 months later the owner called me saying he didn't have time for the shepherd anymore and wanted to give her to me. I was torn but had to decline the offer, 2 dogs is all I can have in my rented house.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7aec8df603c7.jpg[/atsimg]

Liberty and Jessie

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Rhain

Great news, ZAK has been found. A skier heard him barking within a snow den. This dog survived 3 sold days in extreme winter conditions.

new topics

top topics

join