It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"The Inner Voice" - Does it really exist, what is it?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Hope this is in the right place, Mods feel free to move if it isn't

Not sure how to put this into words but I'll try in the simplest terms I can.

Everyday we all make multiple desisions, some important, some not so, some reactionary, some instinctive some without thinking. But there are some decisions that seem to cause conflict inside.

It's very hard to describe; you have 2 choices A or B both have differnt outcomes and consequences but are a solution to the problem. A turns out to be the decision you make but all along something inside was saying choose B

You knew deep down you should have chosen B but for some reason you are just not strong enough to listen to your inner voice and choose B. Maybe you are strong enough to hear the calling to choose B but not intune enough with your inner voice to understand it.

So my question is does anyone else feel this?

Is this just part of the decison making process or different parts of the conscience conflicting?

Is there any way to tune in and listen to your inner voice more because that often seems to be right?

I hope what I've just typed is understandable and look forward to anyone elses views.

MR

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 09:30 AM
link   
This is a puzzler to me too.

Once again recently I had a biggish choice to make 'business wise'.
The inner voice was telling me to stay put as everything is ticking along pleasantly..
But an emotional response made me respond to a friend's request to 'team up'.
Already it's biting me on the arse and now I have that 'sickly' feeling that I'm going to have to back out and return to my previous contentment.

EVERYTHING was screaming no when I was kinda co-erced into it.

I can listen to it for BIG decisions..but keep telling it to shut up for the least crucial ones.
When am I going to learn??

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Now This is an interesting topic. Yes I know for sure we have that inner voice, but only some of us will be wise enough to listen to it.

This is the gut instinct. It helps us err on the side of caution. It can be totally ignored, but eventually when ignored enough we fall flat onto our faces, or we learn to listen to it.

It takes bold steps to listen to it. It also takes a gambling man or woman to overstep it and still succeed.

I think the A and B, it has something to do with alternate outcomes. The one that will benefit us the most, and the one that will benefit us the least.

Your conscious self and your enlightened inner self, are the 2 choices. Jiminy Cricket and Pinnochio come to mind.

-ADHD

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Marlborough Red

Interesting, I believe it is possible that the "inner voice" you speak of is actually what many refer to as our conscience.

The ability to distinguish between right and wrong, often most of us are able to know what is right and wrong in situations of moral conflict, sometimes we have to choose a path based on this 'ability'.

When making choices where neither right or wrong necessarily apply our conscience is not much help, the reason for that could possibly be that we have no 'conditioned' thought processes to draw from in order to get a clear answer from our 'inner voice'

Your inner voice could simply be the conditioned thought process you have developed through life in an inhibited society.

Perhaps there is something you really want to buy, but there is an inner voice that tells you all the reasons you should not... etc.

Some people who suffer from various mental illnesses could actually develop an inner voice that misleads them. The psychopath usually blames the 'voices' in their head.

Like a computer in a way, your inner voice is based on programming received throughout your life, if you have a stable virus free system and proper programming, you usually can rely on your inner voice in a multitude of situations.

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 10:40 AM
link   
i believe the inner voice is the "higher soul" or the real you. not your personality. I had the same exsperiance happen to me many times. if you look back on your life you can see listening to this voice will take you in some odd directions that ultimately end up benifitting you tremendously.

new topics

top topics

join