It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How was the myth of the round earth disclosed to the people

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Everytime I hear someone say, "There are no such things as Aliens." I feel like I am back in England and someone has just said, "There are no such things as Indians."

Does anyone know how the Queen broke that Whole, "The Earth is not flat" buisness to the people?

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 01:32 AM
link   
The title of your thread is misleading.
There was PROOF of Indians! There is NO proof of aliens.
I guess the Queen just said, I hearby declare that the world is not flat, it is round and here is the PROOF! (shows everyone the new maps and all the other junk, including an Indian).

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 01:34 AM
link   
We have not seen or presented with any information that demonstrates that aliens do not exist. Prove the negative...

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 01:49 AM
link   
^Common sense and not being a self-centered piece of # is a start.

We exist, therefore they exist. To deny life exists is one of the worst things imaginable.

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 02:39 AM
link   
ok lets start with :

How was the myth of the round earth disclosed to the people

the myth ??????

so you actually believe the earth is flat ?

or just trolling ?

[quoe]Everytime I hear someone say, "There are no such things as Aliens." I feel like I am back in England and someone has just said, "There are no such things as Indians."

who says ` there is no such thing as alliens ` ?

skeptics demand some evidence of the claims that there are 57 varieties of aliens viviting this planet

and back in the middle ages - ignorant idiots who did no research - just listened to charlatans - believed lots of UTTER TWADDLE - LIKE :

The Vegetable Lamb of Tartary

nowadays - new age idiots who listen cto charlatans beleve all manner of updated TWADDLE - to numerous to list

see a paralel ???

Does anyone know how the Queen broke that Whole, "The Earth is not flat" buisness to the people?

please cite which queen you reffer to - i asume HM Elizibeth I ?

iff so - given the dates of her rule - then the fact that the earth was round had been an established fact for many decades

i fail to see how she ` disclosed ` it

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 02:41 AM
link   
...57 varieties? Who claimed that...?

People on this forum are weird, just another person was like "I've read that earth is a "garden-planet"

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 03:38 AM
link   
Was it even the queen/king that told the people that the earth was not flat? Back then it was generally the church/Vatican that was in charge of that stuff.

Makes you wonder though - with the Vaticans so called "hotline to heaven" why god had not told them of such a simple truth previously. It makes you wonder how much of the Vaticans doctrine is true... and how much of it is just make believe crap in order to control the bodies and minds of the masses.

How much of this make believe stuff still still gets enforced on us as fact today. People with a lot of faith should seriously question such things before committing their lives to the highly ambiguous straight jacket that is religion.

Might as well believe every word of "Lord of the Rings". No different really! Let's face it, there isn't even physical proof that Jesus existed.

All religions good for is creating fear of other cultures, and creating wars which have ultimately equaled the deaths of millions of people. Though it's not cool to kill people, it was certainly ok to kill in the name of your god.

Go figure!

IRM

[edit on 27/7/08 by InfaRedMan]

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 04:27 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 04:31 AM
link   
The concept of a spherical Earth dates back to around the 6th century BC in ancient Greek philosophy.

Wikipedia, Spherical Earth

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 04:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by YuckFou

There was no Proof of Indians except to those who had contact with them. So to the common worker, most never saw an Indian for many years after they heard stories and rumors about them.

Again there is no absolute proof of aliens, except maybe to those who've had contact with them, after all has been planned, said & done they might share the information and proof with the common worker.

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 04:39 AM
link   

I guess the Queen just said, I hearby declare that the world is not flat, it is round and here is the PROOF! (shows everyone the new maps and all the other junk, including an Indian).

I'm not sure how you expect any of what you say is to be taken seriously with a name like "YuckFou".

[edit on 27-7-2008 by dodgygeeza]

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 05:48 AM
link   
sometimes I wonder if we were an experiment/left-overs of like one race of alien, maybe even a secret project, illegal in galactic federation or whatever, or at the very least disagreable to another more compasionate race of beings. I think we evolved from a lung fish though TBH

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Did not the Sumerians believe in a heliocentric galaxy, with the planets revolving around the sun?

In my opinion, the Church was responsible for it all, and used it as a form of control over the people. The Church knew full well that the Earth was round, but came about and claimed scripture said that the Earth was flat and everything else "out there" in space revolved around it. As in saying they took advantage of the reduced population after the Plague and their uneducated status to implant any beliefs desired.

Then science came along and messed everything up.

Why it took so long (1992) for the Pope to make a formal apology, I know not.

But perhaps it had something to do with what Manly P. Hall says here (from The Secret Teachings of All Ages):

When confronted with a problem involving the use of the reasoning faculties, individuals of strong intellect keep their poise, and seek to reach a solution by obtaining facts bearing upon the question. Those of immature mentality, on the other hand, when similarly confronted, are overwhelmed. While the former may be qualified to solve the riddle of their own destiny, the latter must be led like a flock of sheep and taught in simple language. They depend almost entirely upon the ministrations of the shepherd. The Apostle Paul said that these little ones must be fed with milk, but that meat is the food of strong men. Thoughtlessness is almost synonymous with childishness, while thoughtfulness is symbolic of maturity.

There are, however, but few mature minds in the world; and thus it was that the philosophic-religious doctrines of the pagans were divided to meet the needs of these two fundamental groups of human intellect--one philosophic, the other incapable of appreciating the deeper mysteries of life. To the discerning few were revealed the esoteric, or spiritual, teachings, while the unqualified many received only the literal, or exoteric, interpretations. In order to make simple the great truths of Nature and the abstract principles of natural law, the vital forces of the universe were personified, becoming the gods and goddesses of the ancient mythologies. While the ignorant multitudes brought their offerings to the altars of Priapus and Pan (deities representing the procreative energies), the wise recognized in these marble statues only symbolic concretions of great abstract truths.

Secret Teachings of All Ages

This could be one possible explanation - also from Manly P. Hall

Giordano Bruno, who, after enthusiastically accepting Copernicus' theory that the sun is the center of the solar system, declared the sun to be a star and all the stars to be suns. In Bruno's time the earth was regarded as the center of all creation. Consequently when he thus relegated the world and man to an obscure corner in space the effect was cataclysmic. For the heresy of affirming a multiplicity of universes and conceiving Cosmos to be so vast that no single creed could fill it, Bruno paid the forfeit of his life.

So I guess they were pretty arrogant back then, believing that Earth was created especially for humans, and that humans got the best seat in the cosmic house, where all the stars and planets put on a nightly dance show for their audience.

[edit on 7/27/2008 by Ceara]

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 12:52 PM
link   
so you actually believe the earth is flat ?

or just trolling ?

please cite which queen you reffer to - i asume HM Elizibeth I ?

if so - given the dates of her rule - then the fact that the earth was round had been an established fact for many decades

i fail to see how she ` disclosed ` it

Nobody believes the earth is flat smart guy.
The orphan kids in the Middle-East probably know that the Earth is round. because it is.

And I don't know witch qeeen, or king, or emperor, or ruller, or sultan, or whoever, told the people. I ain't no historian. I ain't even smart. But the Egyptians, and the Sumerians, and the Myans KNEW the earth was round, thousands of years Before the Calender. And then, for however many centuries it was accepted, and I think even taught, that it was flat. and then one day. Guess what? it was round again.

I don't know if it was Columbus, or De' Leon, or the vikings, or who that brought the message back. But somehow it got released. And there was no real solid evedince except for hearsay. Even if they brought a flesh and blood Indian back to England, they did not have television. so how would everybody on the continent know.

I did like the one Quote that said "the queen just gave them maps and that was it." I wonder how long it took her to do that. but it really says a lot about the people.

After centuries of lies or ignorance about the very planet that we live on, some authority figure said, "Guess what, we were wrong. The earth is really round." and everybody accepted it without even a little panic or worry about falling off.

I think if G.W. came out right now and said, "Guess what? we found an underground river on the moon and an ancient civilization on mars that is trying to rebuild itself." We would all be like, "Well o.k."

Or we would say he is and drunk, and disgruntled, and ask for proof.

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by president

Interesting question, and there are a lot of parallels here between the way this topic was treated then and the way UFOlogy is today.

As has already been pointed out - ideas about a spherical Earth were floated around all the way back in ancient times. In fact - sometime in the 3rd century B.C. a mathematician named Eratosthenes basically proved the Earth was round and even calculated it's circumference to somewhere between 1-15% of it's true value.

Yet due to superstition, so-called "common sense", and what a lot of skeptics LOVE to cling to in Occam's Razor (simplest explanation is the best) - many people still believed the Earth to be flat all the way up to the time of Columbus.

I don't think there was any official "disclosure" that the Earth was round, it was more of a gradual acceptance that started out in educated circles with people like Copernicus, Galileo, Kepler, etc. and was eventually embraced by the more common folk when Columbus didn't fall off any edge.

Today, UFOlogy suffers from many of the same stigmas of going against common sense that a round Earth did - only this time the roles are reversed - the simple folk are jumping up and down going "hey, look at this" while the supposed educated ones laugh it all off as crazy talk.

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by mc_squared

good post. I think this was the direction the OP was going toward, or that's the way I read it. OP wasn't saying they thought the Earth was flat, just questioning how the information of it NOT being flat eventually gained acceptance. Star for you for clear thinking.

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 10:25 PM
link   

the title was misleading??
What the hell did you think I meant. That the world was really flat.
Give me a break.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 01:42 AM
link   
I wanted to add this comment to my own thread because it fits and I don't know where else to put it.

Building a spacestation in the middle of the sky is like if Columbus had said, "Yes there is land over there, but we should build something in the middle of the ocean instead.

top topics

join