It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Post?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Hello, this is ParaFreaky with a new thread. Basically, what I want to get through to everyone (whoever actually reads this and replies) is that a lot of people on this site are quite negative.

I'm not trying to drown in self-pity or anything, but here recently I've been receiving quite offensive remarks to what I have to say on threads. I'm only trying to be positive and reply positively. I know we're in hard times and people like to take these things seriously, but really? Do you need to go off cursing and ranting? I did that and got banned. This whole time I've only been trying to keep my chin up and see what a good experience I'd have on ATS and it's been awful. Any advice? Opinions? Or just gonna read and leave no reply as usual?

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by ParaFreaky

"Always look on the bright side of life" as the Monty Python song goes. I wouldn't take negative remarks to personally.
The problem is this country (USA) is going so far into a jam it doesn't look like there is a way out. I did hear Bob Barr talk and he seems like he knows what he is talking about.

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by kidflash2008

Yeah. I try to ignor negative remarks, but they seem drawn to me even though I've got nothing but positive things to say. Perhaps they're jealous of my happiness? Who knows.

I agree America's doomed. Ironically you mentioned that; that's just something that I was attacked about.

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Para

It's like anything in life. You get knocked down and you pick yourself up and dust yourself off and keep going.

Don't let a few ignorant people ruin your fun here at ATS or anywhere else for that matter dont let them have free rent in your head and heart

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Thanks.

You're right. I HAVE been getting better at ignoring remarks; and I should continue down the road of greater spirituality.

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 05:20 PM
link   

For many, the Internet is a place to become an alter-ago. Those who flame me on the net would never dare do the same in person. There is also the mentality that "the person typing on the other end juuust doesn't matter", it's easy to never look someone in the eyes and tell them off for something silly the recepient might have done, when that person (flamer) knows DAMN WELL they would not do it in person.

Basically, it's easy to be negative and hurtful on the net, the lack of in-person interpersonal interaction is prelude to, if you will, role-playing.

[edit on 26/7/08 by Misfit]

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by kidflash2008

"Always look on the bright side of life" as the Monty Python song goes. I wouldn't take negative remarks to personally.
The problem is this country (USA) is going so far into a jam it doesn't look like there is a way out. I did hear Bob Barr talk and he seems like he knows what he is talking about.

Very true! Also, if I might add, I am one of those ppl that have come across as callous and sarcastic, but mostly this is bc I do respect the ppl here for the most part and trust that they are going to be intelligent and adult enough to understand that it is nothing personal. I hold a very cynical view of our society and I think sometimes we trade reality out for seeminly (to me anyway) outrageous fantasies and I can only guess that this is done bc facing something scary that you can't prove is easier than facing something scary that is an absolute reality.

I also think the intelligent ones are able to decipher who is just being cynical but not trying to be mean for meanness' sake and those who are here just to "bash."

Take every sarcastic and/or pointed remark w/ a grain of salt, don't wear your feelings on your sleeves, and you'll find that even some of the seemingly grumpiest of members are actually just highly intelligent and a bit on the jaded side, but deep down, really good people.

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Misfit

I've taken that into consideration. Just 'cause you're safe on the internet 'cause you don't post your address or anything people think that they can just say what they want. (cyber bullies:mad

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Gee whiz guy are you alright?

At 10:43 on 07/21/08 you cursed us all out and said you were quitting this site because of lies.

Now if that's not the pot calling the kettle black. It was a comment you made seemingly out of the blue. Nothing preceding your comment that sounded at all unkind or in any way upsetting. You even used all caps.

You might better toughen up your Internet feelings. This is not baby day care.

If you can't stand the heat then get out of the fire.

Gosh I sound mean. Oops.....just telling it like I see it.

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I believe there is a lot to be negative about and I believe a lot of people are in denial.

What I mean is theyre not seeing maybe its too much trouble to look.

sarc

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by dizziedame

Alright, you didn't have to bring up the whole cussing-ban thing. Also, I didn't cuss out EVERYBODY on the site. (all caps, yeah I know) I already brought up the fact that I went off; and it was for the reasons that I mentioned in this thread. Before then and after; I was always just calm and nice to people. In fact, that's the way I am on and off the internet. It's just that I feel that people like me are spat on. I already stated that I'm trying to become more callous. Read a few replies before you reply so you'll know the subject matter. If you did, then you didn't get the whole point. Please, I don't need to be reminded about how stupid my actions were. Oh, I'm supposed to learn how to forget it anyway.

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by dizziedame
Gee whiz guy are you alright?

At 10:43 on 07/21/08 you cursed us all out and said you were quitting this site because of lies.

Now if that's not the pot calling the kettle black. It was a comment you made seemingly out of the blue. Nothing preceding your comment that sounded at all unkind or in any way upsetting. You even used all caps.

You might better toughen up your Internet feelings. This is not baby day care.

If you can't stand the heat then get out of the fire.

Gosh I sound mean. Oops.....just telling it like I see it.

See, I personally like straight forward ppl such as this poster! These are, for the most part, the type of ppl that I know won't play "politician" and will shoot straight w/ their HONEST opinion, bc let's face it, we all need to be put in our place at some point.

"this is not baby daycare"
come on, that is a funny way to word a valid point.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Hey guys!

Ive realized something, most people who curse and are mad at you are only that way because you oppose their ideas.
Well who cares what they think, who cares just continue being intelligent, and other intelligent people will respond!

Sincerely,
joshedis

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 03:40 AM
link   
My personal experience as well as observation is you either grow up, evolve, and learn how to play nice with people. Or go ba bye.
Everyone has a bad day occasionally. I have met more friends/made more friends than enemies.
Rookie mistake Para. I have been given a second, and a third chance to straighten up.

I always try to keep in mind this site is a 'priveledge' with tons of great people, thoughts, and info. If someone dis's me I have learned not to take it personally.
Edit: Punct/added thought
By the way, starred flagged and friended. We don't all bite......hard

[edit on 7/28/2008 by jpm1602]

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 03:53 AM
link   
I concur.

The net's like my 'hood, where gangs of youths wander around in groups of fours or fives--and they're ubermen, causing trouble with whomever they come across--but if they're on their own, they will rarely look you in the eye.

The Internet is a refuge for cowards.

And by virtue of the fact that I post with a pseudonym, I, too, must be one of them, I guess.

F

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 04:54 AM
link   

Excuse me ParaFreaky, I read every word in this thread before I posted the first time. Do not assume you know me and what I am or do.

I have NEVER posted to any thread without first reading every post preceding my post. As you should be able to see I do dig back a bit before posting as I went back and read all your comments and threads before I posted.

It is not wise to second guess my actions as you are not yet equipped to do so.

Watch what you say, my friend, you never know when you may have to eat your words. And that, can sometimes be a most unpalateable meal.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by dizziedame

Well I SAID that maybe you didn't get the point. I'm sometimes, well, ALWAYS hard to understand. (Sigh) I don't mean to sound all emo or anything (which is basically the way this entire thread sounds), but sometimes I feel like I just need to get over these things. I get angry too easily, I cry too easily; I'm just all messed up and jpm's right, I need to grow up. It feels great to be able to admit things about myself. It has provoked happiness and kindness inside me lately. To continue this way will probably build me up enough inside to become more callous, even ACCEPTING of people's negativity.

I'm sorry you took offense. I didn't mean it that way. Anyway, I thank all of you for your advice and opinions. I feel that I no longer need to whine about the way people are here. It's really no different than any other thing I've experienced, and it's everywhere. On the net, (which we know is even worse) at school, at work; everywhere. I need not get so bent outta shape over EVERY little offensive remark or I'll just end up desolated by myself; never being able to handle things so common and surrounding is suicide.

More importantly, I need to recognize the kind and gifted individuals over the nasty and unthoughtful (they just may be the result of where I was headed!)

Thanks,
ParaFreaky

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 12:33 AM
link   
That was a very heartfelt and honest reply to dizzie Para. Well said and well done.There are people on the roads, on the streets, on the internet whose pleasure in life is to bait and attack. There are so many wonderful people here who are helpful and kind.
Do not lower yourself to the occasional bad apple. Sounds like you have a lot on your plate. Believe me, I understand. Look for the good and overlook the rest.
Good Luck
If you ever have a question or just want to rant about something u2u me.
I'm a good listener.

top topics

join