It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Computer Repair!!!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   
what metal parts are you talking about? most pc fans are plastic, and more importantly which fan is it? cpu fan?, case fan? etc.. if its just a case fan any type of case fan will do since theres all types of ways of mounting them. if its a cpu fan you need to get one that will fit on the heatsink mount just the same way the old one did. i use a combonation of fans like this for the case these work great

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Confuzzled_1
Ok first off here, I'm a chick

LMDAO !! I can almost picture you with one hand on hips, the other pointing a finger, scowling face,

before yall think that I am like completely computer retarded!!!

I think you may have what's called Hardwareitis, that's the un-knowledge of parts

Can we get a slightly larger fan and cut the extra metal off so the fan fits???

I would suggest a big no, for one reason .... you (or whomever) miss one small sliver of metal fragment after cutting, that fragment lays across any two points of the PS innards, you may have a dead-short - can you say fizzle snap crack boom?

Can you "physically" do it? Well hell yeah, it's nothing but modding

Just be sure that the fan will mount after the cutting, and that the fan is not so oversized that you can not get the PS in the box without interfering with the CPU fan.

With all that said, I donno about anyone else, but I like her, she's got fire !!

[edit on 26/7/08 by Misfit]

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Added this after-thought as a post instead of edit to make sure you see it.

Bare in mind, being the fan of the PS is internal, it will more than likely have soldered connections, not just a plug as a case fan does. Ergo, you would be working with the innards of the PS, and that's juuuuust not a good idea.

To be honest with you, I am still confused as to WHICH fan you are referring to, the case or the PS.
The pic I posted on page one, is THAT where the fan is you need replaced?

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I think its the one on the first page. It came from the very back of the computer. Damn I wish I was there looking at the computer. lol. Also I don't do that preppy @$$ crap with the whole hands on hips and shaking finger crap. lol. Thanks for that fire comment too lol. That was funny.

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Is this your PC?

LC2

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Yes sir, that is the computer, or what I remember it looking like lol.

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 03:34 PM
link   
K. I don't know how else to do this but with a state-of-the-art multi-platform digitally customized .............. stupid little picture

In this pic, if your eye is at the red dot, to see the fan you need replaced, would you:

-- Look straight back towards the rear as line A, which is the back wall of the case?
or
-- Would you have to also look UP, as line B, as if the fan were in the top of the case?

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 07:48 PM
link   
i guess the obvious response would be search cpu fan type of processor.

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misfit
K. I don't know how else to do this but with a state-of-the-art multi-platform digitally customized .............. stupid little picture

In this pic, if your eye is at the red dot, to see the fan you need replaced, would you:

-- Look straight back towards the rear as line A, which is the back wall of the case?
or
-- Would you have to also look UP, as line B, as if the fan were in the top of the case?

i dont think a fan goes there. You might be able to make one go there, but it should not need one that bad. Most new cpus have a larger fan because of heat. but if its some older pentium then i dont think you will need it.

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Confuzzled_1

I think you're wasting your time here. Do you have about $500 bucks to spend? If so build your own using NewEgg.com.

Trying to retrofit old hardware can be fun, but if your goal is to have a good, relatively inexpensive computer for Internet browsing and email, then you can do it for between $400 and $800 by ordering the parts and assembling it.

Maybe I've missed your intent though. If you are trying to learn about assembling a computer, have you considered taking a class at a local community college? They let you do hands on and it's quite the valuable experience.

Good luck!

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Badge01
reply to post by Confuzzled_1

I think you're wasting your time here. Do you have about $500 bucks to spend? If so build your own using NewEgg.com.

Trying to retrofit old hardware can be fun, but if your goal is to have a good, relatively inexpensive computer for Internet browsing and email, then you can do it for between $400 and $800 by ordering the parts and assembling it.

Maybe I've missed your intent though. If you are trying to learn about assembling a computer, have you considered taking a class at a local community college? They let you do hands on and it's quite the valuable experience.

Good luck!

assembling a computer expecially a 5 or six year old computer is the easiest stuff in the world. I built my old celeron system from scratch.

but what the other dude said if you have $500 dollars you could get a cool computer from dell. I think mine is better than the new ones because it has personality.

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Michael Pait

But why would you want a 5-6 year old PC? Just curious, not disagreeing.

If you check the want ads you can find 5 year old Celeron 500Mhz pcs for 50-150 bucks.

I wouldn't want to back off further than Win2K as an OS - it's pretty small, comparatively.

Sounds cool to assemble your own out of spare parts, though. Lots of people do it, and it started way back when with the Chaos Computer club.

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 04:09 AM
link   
It's option B. Also the reason I don't go buy a new computer for a couple hundred dollars is cause I'm broke. I'm a high school student, and I have other bills to pay. So, please stop telling me to go rebuild one (too stupid to do anyways).

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 04:11 AM
link   
It's option B. Also the reason I don't go buy a new computer for a couple hundred dollars is cause I'm broke. I'm a high school student, and I have other bills to pay. So, please stop telling me to go rebuild one (too stupid to do anyways).

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Michael Pait
i guess the obvious response would be search cpu fan type of processor.

Her problem isn't the CPU fan

Originally posted by Michael Pait
i dont think a fan goes there.

It depends on the CPU that was put in the box. Ancient boxes like this come with and without both rear case fans, depending on the CPU, it was more cost efficient to add a rear case fan rather than change the CPU fan type.
If the CPU has not been upgraded, and there is no rear case fan, one is not neded to be added.

Originally posted by Badge01
I think you're wasting your time here. Do you have about $500 bucks to spend?

$500 to some, myself included, is a crap-load of money!! Her goal is to take an old defunct PC, fix the one dead part, then give the PC to a friend.

Originally posted by Confuzzled_1
It's option B.

Then it is the fan inside the power supply (PS). My recommendation would be to purchase that $30 PS listed ealrier in the thread.

You can cut out anything you want, but what that does to the proper function of the fan is a different story. The only thing I can see on that PS to cut out in order to fit a larger fan would be the enclosure which the fan itself is in. Cutting that enclosure out, from what I see in the pic correlating to what you are describing doing, would render much of the airflow being sput out the side of the fan blades right back into the PC case, instead of thru the PS and out the backside of the case. There would still be flow, of course, due to the size of the fan, but much of it will be going back into the case.

Not to mention proper mounting. After cutting out the fan enclosure, how would the larger fan be mounted to the PS? From your posting the dimensions, the larger being 127mm, sounds like he measured the fan enclosure itself, and the fan is actully a 120mm case fan. If that's the case, it's just a few bucks online. Do you know if he took the fan out of it's enclosure (that little box in which the fan is in, that box/fan being mounted to the PS) and measured it, or measured that metal enclosure the fan is in?

Do realize, however, that depending on how long that PS was ran without a fan, the PS as a whole also might be a dead unit.

I think that all made sense, hell I don't know, haven't had my second coffee yet, lol.

[edit on 27/7/08 by Misfit]

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I remember the days before I knew how to navigate a computer under the hood, it always looks so intimidating and stuff till you find that its all intimadating and stuff!!!

the noob!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join