It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Computer Repair!!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Hey all, I have an old computer that I want to fix up but I'm having troubles. I stoped using this computer cause the fan in it blew out, and I couldn't find a fan that fit the computer perfectly. Now I need to fix the computer up cause my friend needs a computer. So, I was wondering if i could buy a slightly larger fan and cut the the extra metal out so the fan will fit. If anyone knows if that will work or any other ideas please tell me. Cheers,

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 02:15 AM
link   
could you measure the fan in metrics? 50mm / 40mm etc ..

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 02:30 AM
link   
My friend, the one that's helping me, said its about 76.2mm by 127mm. lol. Sorry I'm computer retarded.

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 06:26 AM
link   
What make and model is it? Dell Dimension, Compaq Presario, HP Pavilion, etc. There should be a name and number on the face of the tower.

Knowing that would make it much easier to determine Exactly what size fan you need.

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Microsoft Windows Millenium Edition, Intel Inside Celeron. Is the full thing he said. I'm kinda asking for my friend so he can actually fix it for me. So if info is wrong or not what you need please tell me so I can yell at him. hahaha!!! Oh, just ringed me and told me its a gateway. Sorry don't want to rewrite the whole comment. hahahaha!!!

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 07:11 AM
link   
On the face of the tower there should be a Model Number which coincides with one from here.
support.gateway.com...

Post back once you have the model#

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 07:51 AM
link   
He gave me alot of numbers so here they all are: X05-59722
100-120/200-240V-50/60 H2 5/2.5A
Gateway LC2

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Confuzzled_1
He gave me alot of numbers so here they all are: X05-59722
100-120/200-240V-50/60 H2 5/2.5A
Gateway LC2

lol, I wouldn't let this guy help you ...
The last line is what he asked for "gateway lc2". All the other ones are voltage and amps for the powersupply. That means he knows jack about computers hehe ..

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Confuzzled_1

You listed both the model of the computer, AND the info of the power supply.

Is the fan attached to the inside of the computer case?
Or is the fan you need inside the power supply itself?

This is a pic of the fan of the power supply

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 09:34 AM
link   
I know that he doesn't know # about computers, but he is trying lol. Now, the fan is inside the computer case. *crosses fingers and hopes thats right* lol. With this guy and how much wrong info he is giving me I'm worried. hahaha!!!

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 09:56 AM
link   
You can chill, it's a typical 80mm fan.

Every computer store/shop carries them.
Online as well ...... TigerDirect Case Fans

They are cheap, some even dirt cheap.

If noise is a factor, look at labels for this info: Noise Level: 25 dBA
That 25dBA is average for a case fan. The lower the dBA number, the quieter the fan is.

That will be $29.99 payable IMMEDIATELY !!!

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Ight, well my local stores don't have them, but I will deffinately look online here.
I love you guys!!! cheers for all your help!!!

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 10:50 AM
link   
its sounds to me that your speaking of the fan inside of the power supply

i would suggest that you or your friend don't open the power supply to replace the fan.... you guys are likely to fry yourselves on the big nasty capacitors inside.

ask a computer shop in your area how much to replace the fan inside the power supply .
also does the computer power up? ? if not you will need a power supply

if the power supply shorted your mother board may be cooked as well.

oh and that will be $65.00 payable in BTS points lol

have fun

[edit on 26-7-2008 by The Utopian Penguin]

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 10:56 AM
link   
LOL!!! I would not touch that with a 10 foot pole. His big brother already took the fan out and its already out of the computer lol. So yeah, his brother is the one technically fixing it. He just wanted to know if he could buy a bigger fan cause he cant find one the right size, and then cut extra usless metal off to make it fit. His brother isn't home till Monday and we need an answer to that by then lol.

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Confuzzled_1

www.directron.com...

check this out bud

have a good day

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Just promise me you won't electrocute yourselves.

Better to use that for spare parts and build one using Newegg.com. It's not difficult, since the newegg site tends to lead you what to get at each stage.

Good luck!

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Utopian Penguin
www.directron.com...

And I'de bet double the cost of that PS that the "fan only" replacement for an existing PS is proprietary Gateway (meaning odd-sized, not in stores), meaning replacement from Gateway only for at least $65 - just for the fan!!

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 12:22 PM
link   
for a gateway that was running windows me you'll probably be better off ditching windows and putting linux on it, maybe one of the light weight ones, it'll run nice and smooth, beter than windows me for sure

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by radioactive_liquid

better off ditching windows and putting linux on it

I don't think so, as per this ......

Originally posted by Confuzzled_One

Sorry I'm computer retarded.

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Ok first off here, I'm a chick so please don't call me bud. Kind of a guy name. Also I know about computer programs and stuff like that, its the computer parts that make me computer retarded. Just for the heads up before yall think that I am like completely computer retarded!!! Anyways will someone just answer my full on question at hand here. Can we get a slightly larger fan and cut the extra metal off so the fan fits???

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join